Eric the IF

Wednesday Numbers: Poppins 4.8M l Everything's dead. Screw everything.

13 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I’m surprised the number is this low, but we’ve simply no idea how this will play out. I would imagine word of mouth is everything to this film. 

I just spoke to a mate who is a huge film buff and he didn’t even realise this was a sequel. He thought it was ‘another remake’. When I told him the set up he got interested - so maybe the awareness of what this is might take a while. 

Ugh, I've come across so many people who have this misunderstanding. You'd think the word 'Returns' would clue them all in.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Ugh, I've come across so many people who have this misunderstanding. You'd think the word 'Returns' would clue them all in.

I heard the other way around, it is much more a remake than what people expected.

Hopefully, Aquaman can cross $300 million domestic. Otherwise, we could be looking at a year where not a single holiday period opener (from just before Thanksgiving to after Christmas) ends up over $300 million domestic. Last time that happened was in 2011. The past few Decembers have really spoiled us with huge grosses, so it's no surprise that it feels a bit lacking this year with Star Wars absent (though I guess the first half of the year more than made up for it with three $600+ million domestic films). 

Edited by KP1025

MP2 is breaking almost as female-skewing in audience makeup as ITSV broke male (currently 63-37%)...it was only day 1, but it's worth watching b/c female-skewing audience films do tend to have the superior leg kick over male ones...

Also, for now, it does look like Wed was the adult/Disney fan day since only 34% were families, so 66% were adult-only attendees.  The BO power of this movie will be if it can kick up that family number starting this weekend...

"Mary Poppins Returns was female heavy with 36% F25+ leading (they loved it the most at 91%), followed by F25- at 27%, M25+ at 24% and M25- at 14%. Family breakdown was 65% general audiences, 22% Kids, and 12% Parents. Other demos were 64% Caucasian, 19% Hispanic, 8% Asian and 4% African American. These demos will change as PostTrak polls throughout the weekend."

It does look like its drawing in the female teen-young adult range, so it's not totally losing the 13-25 range for everyone - just probably males, which was always a certainty for this movie...

Edited by TwoMisfits

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

female-skewing audience films do tend to have the superior leg kick over male ones...

Is that true ? Horror is  a female skewing genre and do not tend to have good legs, female skewing franchise a la Twilight, Fault in our stars, 50 shades etc... played extremelly frontloaded.

Oh, and off topic...so Atom tickets is offering a Xmas deal for Tmobile users to get $5 off plus no fees on any ticket and a 2nd deal for a friend...so I'm gonna have 4 practically free tickets plus the ones I just earned...and my Atom theater is NOT booking Mary Poppins (so that's with mom in NJ if we go - weather may prevent that), and I'll have already seen Spidey and Aquaman...is there anything else for families or just my spouse and I (before Glass - which is where the 2 freebies are going if I can't find anything) worth buying tickets for when the Christmas deal rolls around (I'd buy Grinch or Ralph, but I'm not sure they are surviving)...we were not a Transformers family, so I'm not sold on Bumblebee...and I'm really not sold on any other openers coming Dec 21 or Dec 25...

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Is that true ? Horror is  a female skewing genre and do not tend to have good legs, female skewing franchise a la Twilight, Fault in our stars, 50 shades etc... played extremelly frontloaded.

I was thinking the musicals and comedies...horror I see skewing teen/young adult, not really female (but I guess it does slightly, too:)...

Things that draw women 25+:)...

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Oh, and off topic...so Atom tickets is offering a Xmas deal for Tmobile users to get $5 off plus no fees on any ticket and a 2nd deal for a friend...so I'm gonna have 4 practically free tickets plus the ones I just earned...and my Atom theater is NOT booking Mary Poppins (so that's with mom in NJ if we go - weather may prevent that), and I'll have already seen Spidey and Aquaman...is there anything else for families or just my spouse and I (before Glass - which is where the 2 freebies are going if I can't find anything) worth buying tickets for when the Christmas deal rolls around (I'd buy Grinch or Ralph, but I'm not sure they are surviving)...we were not a Transformers family, so I'm not sold on Bumblebee...and I'm really not sold on any other openers coming Dec 21 or Dec 25...

If Beale Street Could Talk.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

If Beale Street Could Talk.

Dang it - not an option...

For now (through Dec 27), I have for options at this theater...

Spidey (seen)

Aquaman (tickets bought)

Vice

Mortal Engines

Holmes and Watson

The Mule

Bumblebee 

Second Act

Welcome to Marwen

Swing Kids

(This theater is a 10...I could go 40 minutes away to another Atom theater, but it would really need to be worth it)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Second Act

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I was thinking the musicals and comedies...horror I see skewing teen/young adult, not really female (but I guess it does slightly, too:)...

Things that draw women 25+:)...

A for sure, family affair and F+40 movie do, but I imagine that it is also true for M+40.

One other possible element was that those movie were less often event type of movie/pre made fanbase (The Nancy Meyers giant legs type of affair) with the marketing that go with that, when they are like a Mamma Mia! sequel they do not necessarily leg better than your average Tom Cruise/Denzel/Clint Eastwood movie.

Still really up in the air for me, Christmas season are almost impossible for me to read, when the actual days end up on the week change a lot the mechanism and to find a similar year's sometime you can only find one in the last decade and here we giant force going for big legs:

Family/F+25 audience could come

Christmas obviously

Musical genre

Going against being a big franchise movie that was really pre-sold heavy, that was a major yes or a major no for a big portion of moviegoers before even the first trailer came out usually restricting legs quite a bit. Will see, hard to imagine not doing at least 5.0x is 3 true day weekend.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

that was a major yes or a major no for a big portion of moviegoers before even the first trailer came out usually restricting legs quite a bit.

Doesn't it being divisive before release make it better for legs if the movie has good WOM (which this movie certainly will have)? 

2 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Maybe I will, but I was also one of the only people predicting this would happen 🧐

Tell me about it. Everytime I said MPR wouldn't be a huge hit with audiences, I got bombarded with replies about dvd sales and something about generational appeal... Idk. 

It's going to bomb in Asia and Latin America. Just saying.

14 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Dang it - not an option...

For now (through Dec 27), I have for options at this theater...

Spidey (seen)

Aquaman (tickets bought)

Vice

Mortal Engines

Holmes and Watson

The Mule

Bumblebee 

Second Act

Welcome to Marwen

Swing Kids

(This theater is a 10...I could go 40 minutes away to another Atom theater, but it would really need to be worth it)...

I would personally watch Vice out of all of these movies but considering that it seems to be very divisive, I don't recommend watching it (unless you are sure both of you will like it). You would be better off saving up for Glass. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Yea people with physical disabilities (like wheelchair, pneumonia, semi-paralysation among many many others) are eligible for a program at the chain I work at where basically every ticket is a buy-one-get-one free so that they are able to have a caretaker or family member accompany them into the theatre and see the movie with them. 

But Disney last year stated that their films will no longer be eligible for that program. 

It's a shitty thing to do. 

But considering a few years ago some theme park guests would hire people with disabilities to gain front of the line access, I'm not surprised they did this too.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2