Eric the Fall Guy

Wednesday Numbers: Poppins 4.8M l Everything's dead. Screw everything.

Just now, Hatebox said:

Or, in the case of the first two, don't worry if the movie's nothing special as long as it has good songs.

It also has to do with expectations. I was told the first two are shit, so I was pleasantly surprised and entertained when I finally saw them. 

Meanwhile Disney's relentless payola landed MP on numerous best-of lists and helped it score award noms. 

23 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Mary Floppins lesson: To have a successful musical, 

Make 

Related image

It 

Related image

Good 

Image result for lady gaga star is born gif

(ie don't hire Rob Marshall) 

I’m pretty sure two of those movies you mentioned are complete trash, so theory doesn’t hold up.

this is how it starts:

over-predicted movie opens lower than over-predicted on its OD

cue: people are doing shopping

cue: holidays fall on unfavorable days

cue: wait for legs

cue: wordplay on movie title with words Bomb/Flop/Crumble

cue: under Solo clubs

Rinse, repeat next week or months depending when the next over-predicted movie comes out and doesn't deliver in the first 24 hours.

;)

Edited by Valonqar

3 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Literally it doesn’t appeal to anyone outside of seniors and UK audiences. Aquaman is gonna crush it everywhere.

Aquaman is doing Great in OS-Markets.Before domestic opening on Friday,Aquaman will pass 300M 

18 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Why were people predicting gigantic numbers for MPR anyway? It never made much sense 

I don't know. If you didn't grow up in the 60s/70s then you don't have much connection to it. Millennials and their kids don't care that much. It'll do fine because it's Disney but i didn't understand the huge predictions either.

Edited by babz06

1 minute ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Should I be worried about the Live action Little Mermaid, which Marshall is directing next?

The quality maybe, as for as BO numbers, no. It will he huge, bonus added if they get Zendaya as Ariel. 

• Like 1

Jumanji vs Poppins? Terrible comparison. Makes absolutely no sense at all.

Jumani was a funny action film with stars that were "hip" like Hart and Johnson as well as Marvel's own Gillan and hilarious Jack Black. Humor + action + effects + a little bit of familiarity=hit.

I never quite understood who MPR was aimed for. As I've said, that critical 18-35 crowd gets lost with this one. 

I don't see it having legs. Holidays are its only hope to reach $200 million. It needs to be consistent and it can do that. However, after the holidays, it will drop like a brick unless it surprises us with key Oscar noms.