The Panda

Best Picture Predictions - 2019

there enough asian/foreign language ones in the best picture i.e. non white. so it doesnt have to be black every year otherwise we're blackwashing then.

the only one black is Harriet and thats 61% and a poor movie..

Edited by Halba

8 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Last year was pretty great for African American cinema though where we got a lot of really good movies from African Americans and about them. Better films like Beale Street, Blindspotting, and Widows weren't competing for any major awards because of this (the African American aspect is a part of the voting process). I like The Hate U Give but it was one of the more generic movies. Queen and Slim looks more unique and is releasing in a year where doesn't have to compete against so many other African American focused films. It's also Waithe's feature film directorial debut which could help if its great.

Green Book was good too

2 hours ago, Halba said:

there enough asian/foreign language ones in the best picture i.e. non white. so it doesnt have to be black every year otherwise we're blackwashing then.

the only one black is Harriet and thats 61% and a poor movie..

heh, that's the problem with diversity and #Oscarssowhite. For some people it's always going to be my diversity more important than yours and your diversity too white-ish. It's very evident that some diversity supporters have very clear rankings which diversity category is their primary. Some people think race is more important than gender and within that they rank races. Others think gender should take priority over men of any race for they are still men. And then we have LGBT and within that T value T above all else. So those differences pop up in the open like in this case where the year has been big for Asians (Parasite, Farewell) and Polynesians (Jojo) but black movies hasn't been in Top 7-8 going by current pundit and Oscar watch chatter.  hence label "too white". 

That said, as Barnack explained, Oscars cater to American market more than international one so what's considered too white is from American perspective. 

Edited by Valonqar

6 hours ago, Chucky said:

True but it had a great performance from a black dude and it was a better film than beale street and Widows 

This is an unpopular opinion, but I might agree with you on Beale Street; that film is great in its own right, but it never really breaks out of its novelistic approach to the story, while Green Book has more cinematic qualities to it. It comes down to what someone prefers, and I appreciate Beale Street for trying to be different, but Green Book is more successful and engaging in the way it employs some cinematic qualities. Of course, story-wise, Green Book falls short and I have to hand it to Beale Street, but I want to make sure not to over-emphasize storytelling when I analyze a film as a whole.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

59 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

This is an unpopular opinion, but I might agree with you on Beale Street; that film is great in its own right, but it never really breaks out of its novelistic approach to the story, while Green Book has more cinematic qualities to it. It comes down to what someone prefers, and I appreciate Beale Street for trying to be different, but Green Book is more successful and engaging in the way it employs some cinematic qualities. Of course, story-wise, Green Book falls short and I have to hand it to Beale Street, but I want to make sure not to over-emphasize storytelling when I analyze a film as a whole.

It depends what people look for in a movie, I personally think characters are the most important aspect to a film, they can carry a shit film whereas a great film with shitty characters to me become less memorable. Green Book may not be the film to stop racism which many critics criticised it for but it has more relevance to every day life than something like Black Klansman or Beale street and it's just a much more charming film to sit through.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Green Book is about as cinematic as a magazine photoshoot. Virtually any individual shot in Beale Street has more care and craft put into it

I cant say I watched Green Book for the visuals, I watched it more for the performances and its ability to make me laugh and smile. It was a nice movie 

On 10/9/2019 at 1:36 PM, Chucky said:

Green Book was good too

sWsCp1p.jpg

Okay, for a more serious word though, Green Book is the sort of movie that I'm not surprised a lot of people like, because it is very superficially charming and likeable. But it's also the sort of movie where, if you do any kind of thinking about the actual subtext of the film (or, god forbid, actually learn about the real history/people this film claims to 'portray'), it quickly becomes clear that it's a big stinking pile at best and, at worst, downright gross in its rewriting of history. 

• Like 3

Given the BO staying power Joker already showing, I am more confident of a BP nom

So far, this seven movies are looking such strong candidates

Joker

A beautiful day in the neighborhood

Marriage Story

Irishman

Jojo Rabbit

Once upon a time in Hollywood

Parasite

The last one or two spots should be between

Ford v Ferrari, Farewell and an unseen December release (1917, Bombshell, Little Women).

10 hours ago, rukaio101 said:

sWsCp1p.jpg

Okay, for a more serious word though, Green Book is the sort of movie that I'm not surprised a lot of people like, because it is very superficially charming and likeable. But it's also the sort of movie where, if you do any kind of thinking about the actual subtext of the film (or, god forbid, actually learn about the real history/people this film claims to 'portray'), it quickly becomes clear that it's a big stinking pile at best and, at worst, downright gross in its rewriting of history. 

10 hours ago, rukaio101 said:

sWsCp1p.jpg

Green Book is the sort of movie where you can choose to jump on a bandwagon and pick the movie apart to gain that feeling of self importance by showing everyone how progressive you are, but for those who see it as the mild entertainment it is, it's an enjoyable feel good drama. It reminds me of Bohemian Rhapsody in that respect  

2 minutes ago, Chucky said:

Green Book is the sort of movie where you can choose to jump on a bandwagon and pick the movie apart to gain that feeling of self importance by showing everyone how progressive you are, but for those who see it as the mild entertainment it is, it's an enjoyable feel good drama. It reminds me of Bohemian Rhapsody in that respect  

Yes, because God forbid people 'jump on the progressive wagon' by.... pointing out how the movie about racism is actually really terrible about handling racial issues.

Also, buddy, it's a fucking Best Picture winner, not some adorable little Saturday matinee screening that we're being overly harsh on. It's not really in a position where you can dismiss how quickly it falls apart under the slightest bit of actual scrutiny, with 'It's just a feel-good movie'. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, stripe said:

Given the BO staying power Joker already showing, I am more confident of a BP nom

So far, this seven movies are looking such strong candidates

Joker

A beautiful day in the neighborhood

Marriage Story

Irishman

Jojo Rabbit

Once upon a time in Hollywood

Parasite

The last one or two spots should be between

Ford v Ferrari, Farewell and an unseen December release (1917, Bombshell, Little Women).

Oscar love the wide release movie with strong legs, see Gravity, The martian, a star is born, argo, avatar, bohemian rhapsody and ASIB.

Strong legs will help to create that positive hype around the film   

4 hours ago, rukaio101 said:

Yes, because God forbid people 'jump on the progressive wagon' by.... pointing out how the movie about racism is actually really terrible about handling racial issues.

They rarely do too, no ? They say it is without going in much details and for many that I did hear about it, they obviously didn't saw the movie.

Edited by Barnack

FRONTRUNNERS

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Sony)
The Irishman (Netflix)
The Two Popes (Netflix)
Marriage Story (Netflix)
Parasite (Neon)
Joker (Warner Bros.)
The Farewell (A24)
Ford v Ferrari (Fox)
Jojo Rabbit (Fox Searchlight)
Judy (Roadside Attractions)

MAJOR THREATS

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (Sony)
Just Mercy (Warner Bros.)
Honey Boy (Amazon)
Uncut Gems (A24)
Waves (A24)
Pain and Glory (Sony Classics)

POSSIBILITIES

Downton Abbey (Focus Features)
Rocketman (Paramount)
Hustlers (STX)
Toy Story 4 (Disney)
Us (Universal)
Booksmart (Annapurna)

LONG SHOTS

The Last Black Man in San Francisco (A24)
The Report (Amazon)
Apollo 11 (Neon)
The Lion King (Disney)
Avengers: Endgame (Disney)

STILL TO SEE

1917 (Universal)
Ad Astra (Fox)
The Ballad of Richard Jewell (Warner Bros.)
The Banker (Apple)
Bombshell (Lionsgate)
Cats (Universal)
Dark Waters (Focus Features)
Give Me Liberty (Music Box)
The Good Liar (Warner Bros.)
A Hidden Life (Fox Searchlight)
Knives Out (Lionsgate)
Little Women (Sony)
The Peanut Butter Falcon (Roadside Attractions) NEW
Queen & Slim (Universal)
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Disney)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/feinberg-forecast-2020-oscar-predictions-1244706/item/best-picture-1244695

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rukaio101 said:

Also, buddy, it's a fucking Best Picture winner, not some adorable little Saturday matinee screening that we're being overly harsh on. It's not really in a position where you can dismiss how quickly it falls apart under the slightest bit of actual scrutiny, with 'It's just a feel-good movie'. 

It falls apart under scrutiny in your unpopular opinion? It won best picture because most people didnt agree with that criticism so stop trying to act like your point of view is the correct one PC principle, it is not going to get you laid. I bet you're the sort of guy that brings up oppression whenever you meet a black dude.

• Knock It Off 2