The Panda

Best Picture Predictions - 2019

6 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Something feels wrong with Actress but idk who is getting dropped/if Ronan is even the backup. If Hustlers overperforms in precursors, I wouldn't be surprised if Constance Wu got in.

Meryl even if she's Meryl. Netflix is unlikely to be giving The Laundromat much of a push at all considering they have a lot to push before it (it's currently at 45% on RT with almost 50 reviews). Plus don't think it's even clear if she's going Lead or Supporting. Even with her being Streep, she's not happening for a total no1curr movie.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2019 at 4:04 PM, lorddemaxus said:

http://collider.com/hugh-jackman-bad-education-hbo/

If Bad Education wasn't out of the race, it sure is now. Imo WB did the right thing. Instead of buying a well received film from a festival and dumping it on a shitty release date with zero marketing (like they did with Blinded by the Light), having it go on TV/streaming seems like a much better idea because at least that way the movie won't flop.

Yet it has better reviews than the fall dramas they're pushing and releasing dramatically - Just Mercy & Motherless Brooklyn. 

Jackman also got better notices than Jordan though with a year this packed neither would have a chance.  Janney loses out on another probable Best Supporting Actress nod though

New above the line picks

Picture

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Bombshell

The Farewell

Jojo Rabbit

Joker

The Irishman

Little Women

Marriage Story

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Parasite

Alts: 1917, Knives Out, Ford v Ferrari, The Two Popes

Director

Baumbach, Marriage Story

Joon-Ho, Parasite

Scorsese, Irishman

Tarantino, Hollywood

Wang, Farewell

Alts: Gerwig, Heller, Waititi, Mendes

Actress

Awkwafina, Farewell

Erivo, Harriet

Johansson, Marriage Story

Theron, Bombshell

Zellweger, Judy

Alts: Ronan, Jones

Actor

Banderas, Pain and Glory

De Niro, Irishman

DiCaprio, Hollywood

Driver, Marriage Story

Phoenix, Joker

Supp Actress

Bening, Report

Dern, Marriage Story

Lopez, Hustlers

Robbie, Bombshell

Zhou, Farewell

Alts: Robbie, Pugh, McKenzie, Johansson

Supp Actor

Alda, Marriage Story

Brown, Waves

Pacino, Irishman

Pesci, Irishman

Pitt, Hollywood

Alts: Hanks, Foxx, Dafoe, Hopkins, Bale

O Screen

The Farewell

Knives Out

Marriage Story

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Parasite

Alts: Ford v Ferrari, 1917

A Screen

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

The Irishman

Jojo Rabbit

Little Women

The Two Popes

Alts: Joker, Hustlers

end of september vibes

Picture:

1. Marriage Story

2. Parasite

3. The Irishman

4. A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

5. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

6. The Farewell

7. Jojo Rabbit

8. 1917

9. Joker

Director:

1. Martin Scorsese

2. Bong Joon-ho

3. Noah Baumbach

4. Quentin Tarantino

5. Lulu Wang

Actor:

1. Joaquin Phoenix

2. Adam Driver

3. Robert De Niro

4. Leonardo DiCaprio

5. Antonio Banderas

Actress:

1. Renee Zellweger

2. Scarlett Johansson (ms)

3. Awkwafina

4. Charlize Theron

5. Lupita Nyong'o

Supp. Actor

1. Al Pacino

2. Tom Hanks

3. Brad Pitt

4. Anthony Hopkins

5. Joe Pesci

Supp. Actress

1. Laura Dern

2. Margot Robbie (bombshell)

3. Jennifer Lopez

4. Zhao Shuzhen 

5. Scarlett Johansson (jojo)

Original Screenplay

1. Marriage Story

2. Parasite

3. The Farewell

4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

5. Knives Out

Adapted Screenplay

1. Jojo Rabbit

2. The Irishman

3. The Two Popes

4. A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

5. Joker

33 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Supp. Actress

1. Laura Dern

2. Margot Robbie (bombshell)

3. Jennifer Lopez

4. Zhao Shuzhen 

5. Scarlett Johansson (jojo)

Scarlett Johansson probably won't get double nom. Thomas Mckenzie has been getting more buzz and Florence Pugh for Little Women seems much more likely to get in than either of two (find it odd you have zero noms for Little Women). Margot Robbie for OUATIH instead of Bombshell (which has zero buzz atm). Also overestimating A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood. I don't see it being a favourite when a supposed to be crowdpleasing film like that doesn't make it into the TIFF People's Choice award.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

Already seen and strong chances (Only 1-2 of these should miss)

Once upon a time in Hollywood

A beautiful day in the neighborhood

Jojo Rabbit

Ford v Ferrari

Marriage Story

Irishman

Parasite (growing)

Joker (polarizing reactions, fading)

Seen and... Maybe?

Hustlers

A hidden life (never underestimate Malick)

Waves

Farewell (needs to recover heat)

Pain and Glory

Knives Out (if BO is huge)

Unseen, but watch out!

Little Women

Bombshell

Dark Waters

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Scarlett Johansson probably won't get double nom. Thomas Mckenzie has been getting more buzz and Florence Pugh for Little Women seems much more likely to get in than either of two (find it odd you have zero noms for Little Women). Margot Robbie for OUATIH instead of Bombshell (which has zero buzz atm). Also overestimating A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood. I don't see it being a favourite when a supposed to be crowdpleasing film like that doesn't make it into the TIFF People's Choice award.

Okey dokey. We disagree.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

Yeah, can someone show me where Tomasin McKenzie buzz is coming from? She's getting nice ink but nothing on the level of Dern and JLo plus some critics prefer ScarJo. That could split votes. I don't think she's a sure thing even in a year this weak for SA category. 

Also, how's Joker fading when it's talked about? Polarizing is not fading. if you want actual fading look no further from Ford vs Ferrari. 

Edited by Valonqar

Just guessing what will be the BO of the nominees. I miss the times when all movies had theatrical runs with meassurable BO. Now, with Netflix entering the game, it's really difficult to say if a year is more or less "popular"

I would say we will have 3 movies over 100M DOM (Hollywood, Ford v Ferrari, Beautiful day in neighborhood). 4 if Joker ends nommed. 5 if 1917 breaks out

15 hours ago, Blankments said:

Having seen Jojo, I’d say both thomasin and Rockwell are safer bets for acting noms than ScarJo, especially when she’ll be focusing on her actress campaign

I agree. I mean, I haven't seen the film, but I'm sure ScarJo would want to focus more on the lead actress campaign--that's the nomination with the meatier implications. I really think it'd be much cooler if ScarJo was able to get Lead and McKenzie (an up-and-comer who deserves to maintain her relevance) was able to get supporting.

9 hours ago, stripe said:

Just guessing what will be the BO of the nominees. I miss the times when all movies had theatrical runs with meassurable BO. Now, with Netflix entering the game, it's really difficult to say if a year is more or less "popular"

I would say we will have 3 movies over 100M DOM (Hollywood, Ford v Ferrari, Beautiful day in neighborhood). 4 if Joker ends nommed. 5 if 1917 breaks out

Wait until Cats crashes the race once it beats The Force Awakens.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

15 hours ago, filmlover said:

Wait until Cats crashes the race once it beats The Force Awakens.

LOL

Anyways, I would really love to see a BP nominee managing to get gigantic BO. Imagine 1917 becoming a major player like American Sniper

2 hours ago, stripe said:

LOL

Anyways, I would really love to see a BP nominee managing to get gigantic BO. Imagine 1917 becoming a major player like American Sniper

1917 should do well but will make a third of what American Sniper did at best. Lacks the perfect storm of obvious jingoism/red state appeal or the big name combo of Eastwood and Cooper to elevate it. Surprised it hasn't been set for AFI but that's probably because they don't know if it'll be ready yet since it concluded filming just 3-4 months ago.

• Like 1