The Panda

Best Picture Predictions - 2019

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, thught American Sniper would gross much more than 100M DOM just a few days before its opening.

Obviously, it's almost impossible a storm like that happens again with 1917, but...

1/ It's a war movie, and sometimes it's a genre that exceeds expectations if...

2/ it gets Oscars heat,

3/ it has great release date (same as American Sniper),

4/ and it's from an auteur very well respected

Bonus point: the plot looks quite intense and easy to relate with

It all depends on WOM once Christmas comes.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, stripe said:

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, thught American Sniper would gross much more than 100M DOM just a few days before its opening.

Obviously, it's almost impossible a storm like that happens again with 1917, but...

1/ It's a war movie, and sometimes it's a genre that exceeds expectations if...

2/ it gets Oscars heat,

3/ it has great release date (same as American Sniper),

4/ and it's from an auteur very well respected

Bonus point: the plot looks quite intense and easy to relate with

It all depends on WOM once Christmas comes.

It was a summer release but Dunkirk (a more comparable title than American Sniper) topped out at $188M with Nolan's name, a really aggressive marketing campaign, and promise of big screen spectacle. Depends on budget but if 1917 were to make half of that I imagine it would be a major win.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TMP said:

idk if Joker makes it anymore tbh

Same. Won't declare it dead yet or anything but definitely feeling that the Gone Girl comparison (controversial first weekend of October box office hit that ends up completely shut out besides an acting nom) might end up being accurate.

16 minutes ago, TMP said:

idk if Joker makes it anymore tbh

Need to see how it perform in the critics circuit in the year end. Also, the backlash kicked off very early is a good thing to Joker, meaning people will soon or later get used to the backlash and start to ignore them or even annoyed by backlash, which in trun trigger passionate support.  See Green Book. 

Just now, titanic2187 said:

Need to see how it perform in the critics circuit in the year end. Also, the backlash kicked off very early is a good thing to Joker, meaning people will soon or later get used to the backlash and start to ignore them or even annoyed by backlash, which in trun trigger passionate support.  See Green Book. 

People calling this movie dangerous will hurt its chances I think

1 hour ago, TMP said:

People calling this movie dangerous will hurt its chances I think

i don't think so. there's not going to be any actual joker inspired murders like some critics want are worried about. without that the nontroversy will probably fade in the next couple weeks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Same. Won't declare it dead yet or anything but definitely feeling that the Gone Girl comparison (controversial first weekend of October box office hit that ends up completely shut out besides an acting nom) might end up being accurate.

That might happen, but I still expect the original score by Hildur Guðnadóttir to remain in serious contention for a nomination. Not only has the score been highlighted by many Oscar prognosticators, but it'd be an opportunity for the Academy to nominate a woman again. She'd be the seventh woman ever nominated in the cateogry and the first since Mica Levi was nominated for Jackie.

• Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

That might happen, but I still expect the original score by Hildur Guðnadóttir to remain in serious contention for a nomination. Not only has the score been highlighted by many Oscar prognosticators, but it'd be an opportunity for the Academy to nominate a woman again. She'd be the seventh woman ever nominated in the cateogry and the first since Mica Levi was nominated for Jackie.

And the score is actually pretty damn good. Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being the best part of the movie outside of Phoenix's performance.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, SLAM! said:

her music elevated majority of the scenes, and after her Emmy win for Chernobyl I think she has a good shot with an Oscar nomination.

• Like 1

Just now, RealLyre said:

Disney's not pushing RDJ for a best actor (or supp) for EG yet 🤔

They know it would be a waste to even try. Endgame's best shot at anything above the line this whole season is possibly a SAG Ensemble nom given how utterly massive the cast is but even then they'll more likely go for something more accustomed to their tastes like the Downton Abbey movie or something.

After last year Oscar which prove that AMPAS member and award bodies can really ignore controversy and backlash against a film if they like the film, not only one but two controversial films they can recognize.

Joker will be another example but from what shown so far, it is not looking great, especially you have a very talkactive director that isn't helping at all.

11 hours ago, filmlover said:

They know it would be a waste to even try. Endgame's best shot at anything above the line this whole season is possibly a SAG Ensemble nom given how utterly massive the cast is but even then they'll more likely go for something more accustomed to their tastes like the Downton Abbey movie or something.

I'm just gonna say I will riot HARD if Knives Out isn't up for the SAG award.