grim22

Ghostbusters: Afterlife | November 19 2021 | Sony | Delayed again

On 1/19/2019 at 8:28 PM, AdamKendall said:

Honestly, her response is just embarrassing.  It's a fucking movie.  The 2016 one didn't follow the original films, wasn't successful and lost Sony a lot of money, plus it wasn't  widely liked by the general audiences, and now a choice to not include it is likened to some of the asinine and pathetic things which are FAR more important that our President has said and done in the last 2 years.

Hell, I don't even really care about the new Ghostbusters film either, but man.  Trump and the problems he's creating 'IMO' are far bigger than a Ghostbuster film not including Leslie Jones.

John Campea went on an epic rant about it today on his show.

I feel like the biggest takeaway from the ‘16 movie is that overseas audiences aren’t here for this property. That movie barely made $100M from there and was banned in China (this one will be too). One of the likely reasons why Star Trek 4 was recently more or less officially cancelled/never came together was because the pitiful overseas performance wasn’t enough to cover merely okay domestic numbers. Unless they are making this for less than $100M (much less, even), it’s a waste of money because the potential clearly isn’t there.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

I feel like the biggest takeaway from the ‘16 movie is that overseas audiences aren’t here for this property. That movie barely made $100M from there and was banned in China (this one will be too). One of the likely reasons why Star Trek 4 was recently more or less officially cancelled/never came together was because the pitiful overseas performance wasn’t enough to cover merely okay domestic numbers. Unless they are making this for less than $100M (much less, even), it’s a waste of money because the potential clearly isn’t there.

Proper GB3 would have made at least 3 times more overseas, that was the problem with 2016 movie, not with the franchise. But looks like GB2020 is not GB3, but another reboot, so it'll do similar numbers to 2016 movie.

On 1/19/2019 at 9:30 PM, Ryan Reynolds said:

Leslie Jones Slams New 'Ghostbusters' Film: "It's Like Something Trump Would Do"

The actress, who starred in the all-female reboot of the franchise in 2016, tweeted her disappointment about the news earlier this week that Jason Reitman will helm a new movie that will continue the story that began with the 1984 original and its 1989 sequel.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/leslie-jones-slams-new-ghostbusters-film-like-something-trump-would-do-1177578

Its like if someone fails to make a coherent argument post-2016, just use Trump and hope for the best. 

If they bank on the idea of these kids representing how the current adult viewers felt in their youth, I wouldn't write it off as a bad idea. It's how that Stranger Things reference got so much attention. You can have them being fans of the old Ghostbusters to give you that extra punch in the gut.

My hope was always that the ghost sightings would have stopped in canon for a few decades, forcing the Ghostbusters to retire.

And to its benefit, sadly, this has the "it can't be worse than the last one" thing going.

Edited by WhiteWings
  • Like 1

I can see Venkman hosting a YouTube conspiracy show...half truth, half mockery, just like his old psychic show.  Ray is probably a "ghost troll" on the internet, blasting millennials while working at an antique shop...and Winston is enjoying a quiet home life (but secretly yearns for some fun). 

Somebody already said this, but yeah, I'm betting that the car is sitting back on the Spengler "family farm," as shown in the teaser. 

The teens will uncover some new mystery Stranger Things-style that they need the old Ghostbusters' help with.  They'll probably only be in a few scenes/cameos, though...

I can’t help but think that there would’ve been significantly more hype for this film if the 2016 reboot didn’t exist, but I’m still interested in seeing how it turns out.

With that being said, do we really need to have Ghostbusters in high school? I never could understand the appeal of these high school superhero stories. I think high school stories are boring as hell. I perfectly understand having a younger generation of Ghostbusters taking up the mantle, but why can’t they be adults? Even Extreme Ghostbusters had college students as the protagonists. 

2 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

So this is basically Ghostbusters 3 but for the new generation? Just like how The Force Awakens was Episode 7 but a reintroduction for new audiences ?

No, it's not. But GB3 Force Awakens style had been in development for a decade, before they killed it with female reboot and now this reboot.

6 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

So this is basically Ghostbusters 3 but for the new generation? Just like how The Force Awakens was Episode 7 but a reintroduction for new audiences ?

Apparently. That’s pretty much exactly what I remember thinking that the 2016 film should’ve done. 

Just now, Nova said:

This movie has flop written all over it. It can be really good but I'm not expecting much from it box office wise. Maybe if they try to limit the budget to $50M it can be a hit but don't think that'll be possible. 

No way this makes less than Ghostbusters 2016