Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

The WoM seems strictly average. It is good for Nolan heads, which thankfully are alot but for normies its too complicated.

In fact even many regular moviegoers aren't understanding the film. Have heard reports that dialogues are not understandble in like 25% of film.

Legs won't be that good.

I swear to God Nolan has some kind of hearing disability. The sound mixing is very often the worst part of his movies (two notable examples being that square robot thing in Interstellar and Bane's voice in The Dark Knight Rises before they went back and changed it)

This theory also extends to Michael Mann

Edited by SpiderByte

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

I swear to God Nolan has some kind of hearing disability. The sound mixing is very often the worst part of his movies (two notable examples being that square robot thing in Interstellar and Bane's voice before they went back and changed it)

This theory also extends to Michael Mann

What if it’s not disability but more like superhuman hearing. Would explain why we can’t hear stuff and he apparently can. 

It's his desire to keep the recording as it was on set and realistic (i.e. Hard to understand people through fuckin masks). Admirable in a way to be so dedicated to authenticity, but by God can it be annoying, especially when the music is amped up to 11 on the mix. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Giesi said:

I never had problems understanding what the characters said. Maybe it has something to do with the IMAX cinemas and their painfully loud volume levels?

Honestly, I saw it at a drive in and neither me or my partner had issues with the sound, and she’d normally be the first to point out a problem with struggling to hear things.

Not saying it’s not an issue for other people as I’m sure it is, but we didn’t have any problems with the sound outside the odd scene where the characters were shouting over explosions and it was intentionally hard to hear them.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Gotham Bank said:

Of course, it will almost be able to do it without US and China grosses. What would be an unquestionable "win" to you in the current state of the industry?

Unquestionable win in these circumstances would be 450+ for me. But I'm nowhere near ready to say that's a possibility, let alone likely right now. 

If China ends up closer to 60-70 million than 100 and the US doesn't do more than 80, then even 350 will become quite difficult.

And, of course... What about WW84? One might assume WB will see this as an encouraging sign, especially if California opens by early Oct. But if they do keep WW84 in place, then it might kill Tenet's legs, by taking away its newly-opened screens. 

It's pretty much impossible to predict its legs right now, both in terms of reception and just the unique roll-out. 

We'll see this time next week what China brings and the first results from domestic, as well as Europe holds. If nothing else, it's interesting to check box office results again... 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 2

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

Unquestionable win in these circumstances would be 450+ for me. But I'm nowhere near ready to say that's a possibility, let alone likely right now. 

If China ends up closer to 60-70 million than 100 and the US doesn't do more than 80, then even 350 will become quite difficult.

And, of course... What about WW84? One might assume WB will see this as an encouraging sign, especially if California opens by early Oct. But if they do keep WW84 in place, then it might kill Tenet's legs, by taking away its newly-opened screens. 

It's pretty much impossible to predict its legs right now, both in terms of reception and just the unique roll-out. 

We'll see this time next week what China brings and the first results from domestic, as well as Europe holds. If nothing else, it's interesting to check box office results again... 

Surely WW1984 and Tenet can co-exist, it's not like there is much competition on the horizon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Surely WW1984 and Tenet can co-exist, it's not like there is much competition on the horizon.

Not too sure about that. If Warner and distributors think WW84 is a better revenue source, then they'll push for the vast majority of screens to go there. And with Tenet clearly working well in PLF, if it loses that, and it's in a more normal number of screens, then the reduced capacity will kill it. 

Again, its such a unique situation, that it's very difficult to predict anything. But as I said, it'll be interesting to observe. 

• ...wtf 2

5 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Not too sure about that. If Warner and distributors think WW84 is a better revenue source, then they'll push for the vast majority of screens to go there. And with Tenet clearly working well in PLF, if it loses that, and it's in a more normal number of screens, then the reduced capacity will kill it. 

Again, its such a unique situation, that it's very difficult to predict anything. But as I said, it'll be interesting to observe. 

I don't see WW opening in October. I think it goes to Christmas. It would just make more sense.

• Like 2