Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I have seen the online reviews, but I mean offline: original word-of-mouth. 

3 family members have seen it and hated it. I’ve got back to work today after the bank holiday and there’s other people in work that went. No one I’ve spoken to in person, so far, has liked it. Anecdotal on here obviously, but the real WOM I’ve heard, is terrible. 

“Confusing” seems to be the consensus. Won’t be surprised to see that critics RT score decline as more reviews get added. 

The concept itself is nonsense and confusing, and all the exposition doesn't clear much up, but the way the third act falls into place - like, it's messy, convoluted, but confusing? I think the second half of the movie manages to clarify everything pretty much through visuals only. I think you should use your own judgement. Whether you like it or not, I really don't think this is the kind of movie where you can go exclusively by reviews or WOM. Not because "Oh, people are too dumb to understand", but because some people will click with the visceral experience, others will be too focused on the plot seemingly not making sense for the first hour, others will like the straight-forward Bond nature for the first half and hate the second, then some people might be taken out by the audio mix (which, again, will also depend on the screening) and so on and so forth. It really is a movie that has to be experienced, regardless of how you end up feeling about it. 

• Like 1

Tenet demands at least two viewings. Anyone going in expecting to follow it all perfectly is going to be disappointed as that’s not what it is at all. It’s been designed to watch again with knowledge of what’s going to happen. That’s literally the point of the film. 

Plenty will be fine not getting it but enjoying the experience and the incredible action. Yet for the intricate narrative to be fully comprehended, a second viewing is essential. 

Since when did a film have to make perfect sense after one viewing?  The reward of a film getting better and better the more you watch it is what makes a great movie. 

Critics outright dismissing it as confusing should be re-reviewing it when they’ve seen it a second time. I guarantee you a ton of them will look back at what they wrote after one viewing and feel stupid. Nolan has created a banquet here that critics in particular should be devouring.  You’ve got to put the effort in to get the most out of it. Otherwise, don’t comment - it’s not for you. 

“I didn’t care about the characters. Blah blah blah.”  On second viewing you do, that’s for sure! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

First time posting, since I am a lurker, but as a huge Nolan fan, decided to throw my 2 cents:

First viewing was a bit muddled due to expectations, since we all remember that first feeling after TDK, Interstellar and especially Inception, that emotional high which really you can only get with a Nolan picture nowadays. The big budget, yet intelectually and emotionally stimulating ride.

Anyway, first time, at the end, didnt' have that feeling, I mean I enjoyed the movie, the spectatcle cant be denied, but emotionally, kinda nothing.

Second time, boy oh boy, everything clicked all of a sudden, the plot now totally makes sense, you are even more in awe of the visuals and action scenes, and some emotional beats now pack more punch, I truly dont know how he did that, but second time, I rate it in top-5 Nolan easily.

And the spectacle....you know how rare it is to watch a big budget film and go, "well how did they do that?". Imagine the whole second half of Tenet go that way, no joke, it is really inspiring and breathtaking. I still cant process how they did the action, its mind blowing. But hell, even the quieter scenes, now play much more atmospheric as well, I imagine many will note the boating scene as a standout more and more.

In any case if you are on the fence due to lack of overwhelmingly 5 star positive reviews, trust me, its not only worth to see it on the biggest screen possible, its worth to see it at least twice. I am eager to go for the third time to experience it with new people, cause it is an experience, not just unlike any other due to COVID-19, but it would be an experience in any other normal year. Its that excellently made.

PS: No issues with dialogue really, there was some stuff I couldnt hear a couple of times due to musci or sound effects, but I could tell the dialogue in those particular scenes were not that important anyway. 

Edited by Goodfella86
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

“I didn’t care about the characters. Blah blah blah.”  On second viewing you do, that’s for sure! 

Spoiler

I saw several repeat viewing reviews that stated they focused way more on Pattinson‘s character than JDWs one.

I found his character really charming and engaging portrayed.  

• Like 1

Tenet isn't wrestling with any interesting complex ideas, it's just inarticulate. The best complicated films require two watches to fully immerse yourself in the film's complex themes and subtle nuances... for Tenet the only thing I'm hearing from people is to watch it twice just to understand the basic surface-level plotting. That is not interesting to me, and I haven't heard anyone talk about what it actually has to say on a deeper level.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I have seen the online reviews, but I mean offline: original word-of-mouth. 

3 family members have seen it and hated it. I’ve got back to work today after the bank holiday and there’s other people in work that went. No one I’ve spoken to in person, so far, has liked it. Anecdotal on here obviously, but the real WOM I’ve heard, is terrible. 

“Confusing” seems to be the consensus. Won’t be surprised to see that critics RT score decline as more reviews get added. 

"Confusing" is also a word the general public used to describe both Inception and Interstellar; and yet, there are lots of people who love both or either of those films. 

10 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

But it's not.

Read the rest of the post, I clarified I meant real, word of mouth I’ve heard in person, not online ratings or online consensus. 6 people have told me they didn’t like it and it’s only been out for a week. 

I’m not saying the general online user click ratings are bad. I was clear in my post that it’s anecdotal. 

We won’t know about WOM until this weekend, yet any drops will be softened with no completion, expansions and the slow return of audiences. 

14 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Tenet demands at least two viewings. Anyone going in expecting to follow it all perfectly is going to be disappointed as that’s not what it is at all. It’s been designed to watch again with knowledge of what’s going to happen. That’s literally the point of the film. 

Plenty will be fine not getting it but enjoying the experience and the incredible action. Yet for the intricate narrative to be fully comprehended, a second viewing is essential. 

Since when did a film have to make perfect sense after one viewing?  The reward of a film getting better and better the more you watch it is what makes a great movie. 

Critics outright dismissing it as confusing should be re-reviewing it when they’ve seen it a second time. I guarantee you a ton of them will look back at what they wrote after one viewing and feel stupid. Nolan has created a banquet here that critics in particular should be devouring.  You’ve got to put the effort in to get the most out of it. Otherwise, don’t comment - it’s not for you. 

That's really interesting. Thank you for sharing. 

I was trying to avoid watching tenet but this sounds pretty enticing with regard to the double-viewing thing... my favourite Nolan pic is The Prestige which falls under the same banner of it being a completely different film on second viewing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tree said:

"Confusing" is also a word the general public used to describe both Inception and Interstellar; and yet, there are lots of people who love both or either of those films. 

I think it’s safe to say that Inception had a better initial response than Tenet. I don’t remember much about Interstellar’s release. 

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Read the rest of the post, I clarified I meant real, word of mouth I’ve heard in person, not online ratings or online consensus. 6 people have told me they didn’t like it and it’s only been out for a week. 

I’m not saying the general online user click ratings are bad. I was clear in my post that it’s anecdotal. 

We won’t know about WOM until this weekend, yet any drops will be softened with no completion, expansions and the slow return of audiences. 

second weekend drop will not be any indication of word-of-mouth. These are not normal times. If it was massively frontloaded that could just indicate a "pent up demand" as mentioned earlier, not necessarily bad word of mouth. 

Moderation

I get you guys like the movie, but don't gang up on Krissy and force him to watch a movie his friends said sucks. It's not that big a deal if somebody doesn't care for it, or he heard from his peer group it's not worth it. And if you think it is, go read a book or something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Finally booked a ticket so I guess I'll find out for myself this evening. 'Confusing' is fine by me (I'm a David Lynch fan), but I think my expectations will be pretty low going in.

Also a big David Lynch fan, but I see a massive difference between Lynch being complex and Nolan being complex. Nolan has very simplistic thematic statements wrapped up in very densely complicated surface-level plotting, while Lynch tends to have the surface-level plotting be rather simple but wrapped up in deeply complex themes underneath. I do hope you enjoy it though, with golden sunshine all along the way!

I am not necessarily love the film, but it keep me engaged and I am interested to know what happened next during the watching. Even if I don't understand the film , I won't hate it.

There are many movies out there that I fully understand, but I still hate them

35 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Tenet isn't wrestling with any interesting complex ideas, it's just inarticulate. The best complicated films require two watches to fully immerse yourself in the film's complex themes and subtle nuances... for Tenet the only thing I'm hearing from people is to watch it twice just to understand the basic surface-level plotting. That is not interesting to me, and I haven't heard anyone talk about what it actually has to say on a deeper level.

I’d talk about it on a deeper level all day long, but I can’t because of spoilers. 

I absolutely understood it on a basic level first time round. Yet the film practically demands you watch it a second time as that is the point of it.  It’s central to the entire premise. 

35 minutes ago, tree said:

That's really interesting. Thank you for sharing. 

I was trying to avoid watching tenet but this sounds pretty enticing with regard to the double-viewing thing... my favourite Nolan pic is The Prestige which falls under the same banner of it being a completely different film on second viewing.

100%

The Prestige is a very good comparison.  

Regardless, it’s an unmissable movie - no matter what you think of it. Time (no pun intended) will be kind to it. 

• Like 1