Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

12 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I don't see WW opening in October. I think it goes to Christmas. It would just make more sense.

I think they may stick with Dune in December for their Oscar push - it's sure to dominate the techs and possibly some of the big categories. 

I think WW84 is a 50-50 situation right now; Tenet's next 7 days will probably inform their decision more. 

6 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I think they may stick with Dune in December for their Oscar push - it's sure to dominate the techs and possibly some of the big categories. 

I think WW84 is a 50-50 situation right now; Tenet's next 7 days will probably inform their decision more. 

With the Oscar deadline being Feb 29, they can move Dune as needed.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

With the Oscar deadline being Feb 29, they can move Dune as needed.

Jan/Feb for Dune? I think it would need holiday legs (such as they will be) more than WW84. 

I mean, don't get me wrong, I think there's a good chance the moves happen as you said, but maybe they'll just put WW84 next summer? Go crazy, WB! 

6 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t see much of a point in even having the Oscars next year. 2020 hasn’t exactly had a very strong lineup of quality films. 

The streaming services had a huge number of noms in recent years and ladt years biggest winner was a foreign movie. That is to say... There is still enough stuff out there/due to come out in the next six months to make for a great Oscar race. 

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

Honestly, I saw it at a drive in and neither me or my partner had issues with the sound, and she’d normally be the first to point out a problem with struggling to hear things.

Not saying it’s not an issue for other people as I’m sure it is, but we didn’t have any problems with the sound outside the odd scene where the characters were shouting over explosions and it was intentionally hard to hear them.

Were there any clipping/distortion issues at yours? They utterly fucked it at Colchester (yes drove all the way there) on Friday. Anything beyond the quieter dialogue scenes is all crackling and popping. Hoping next week at the London/Enfield one it's fine... edit: saw your other post, man I'm glad it worked out for you. Was so let down by what happened on Friday.

Edited by antovolk

40 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Jan/Feb for Dune? I think it would need holiday legs (such as they will be) more than WW84. 

I mean, don't get me wrong, I think there's a good chance the moves happen as you said, but maybe they'll just put WW84 next summer? Go crazy, WB! 

Dune in February could work although I wouldn't be surprised if they opt for a limited release in December then expand in January. The slot currently held by Mortal Kombat could be an option with MK moving to January 29th or February.

15 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

The streaming services had a huge number of noms in recent years and ladt years biggest winner was a foreign movie. That is to say... There is still enough stuff out there/due to come out in the next six months to make for a great Oscar race. 

Looking at the films that have been released this year so far (and yes, I’m counting the stuff that went to streaming), there doesn’t seem to be much that’s worth any real Oscar buzz. I guess there’s that Spike Lee movie...

• Knock It Off 1

Dune for the win, please! Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actress (don't think Ferguson would make an Actress cut but she should solidly make Supporting), Supporting Actor (Stellan or Bardem), Adapted, Editing, Cinematography, all sounds, SFX, costume design, production design, score. 

Edited by Valonqar

31 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Were there any clipping/distortion issues at yours? They utterly fucked it at Colchester (yes drove all the way there) on Friday. Anything beyond the quieter dialogue scenes is all crackling and popping. Hoping next week at the London/Enfield one it's fine... edit: saw your other post, man I'm glad it worked out for you. Was so let down by what happened on Friday.

Sorry to hear that they messed it up so badly in Colchester, the sound was honestly perfect at Newark, my car radio locked to the signal and there was no clipping or distortion at all. I was really impressed by how clear it was even at the loud volume I had it set to (my car was rumbling during some of the action scenes!).

Got my fingers crossed for you to have a better experience in London!

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 1

So I finally saw this at the BFI IMAX in 70MM IMAX today, unfortunately the audio was out of sync and they said they couldn't do anything, they gave free tickets for any Odeon for any film for those that complained about the sync after the screening.

I wonder if it happened because they were trying to fix dialogue issues people were having because every word was crystal clear for me. 

Overall I think the film was great (Not entirely sure because I was distracted by sync half the time, I may hate it when I go tomorrow), it's akin to an American James Bond and all the actors do a stellar job, the chemistry is really great. The time inversion concept provides some really incredible set pieces and storytelling moments.

I just wish I could have seen it properly, viewing was definitely impeded but it's such a trek into London I couldn't just abandon the screening. 

Edited by FilmFincher

34 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I guess if the Academy really insists on doing their annual Oscars ceremony next year, Tenet might be a movie that’ll get some buzz, if only for the fact that there doesn’t seem to be a lot of competition? 

The Oscars deadline has been extended to the end of February this year and the other awards shows have moved to end of February through early April. Expect whatever will be ready in time to be released in the January/February corridor to be on the safe side.

• Like 2

If Nolan doesn't win Best Director I will riot. Regardless of the story (which I enjoyed) he has made a quintessential work of CINEMA. This is the exact kind of film that demonstrates the reason why we go to the theaters to. Amazing practical effects, cinematography, and sound with a bombastic score that sends chills down your spine to the point it even overshadows the dialogue at points lmao. I could never imagine watching TENET for the first time on some tiny LG TV with some Sony speakers from Amazon or local electronics store lol. 

There hasn't been a film in 2020 that is even on the same plane when it comes to direction and looking at the line up from now until Feb 2020 I doubt there will be (maybe Dune but who knows).

Auto lock for best director nom but crossing fingers for his first, sorely due, win.

Edited by Reckoning55
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah I'm not really expecting awards play and I wasn't really expecting that before reviews were out either.

If it does get any above the line noms, let's be honest, it's because of a shallow field and some kind of weird reward for trying to 'save' the industry.

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

If it does get any above the line noms, let's be honest, it's because of a shallow field and some kind of weird reward for trying to 'save' the industry.

I can definitely see something like that happening, I think a lot of Hollywood types are salty about films going VOD, so Nolan pushing for theatrical exclusivity to “save the industry” will likely stick in their minds when the time comes to vote. 

That said, it is a technically stunning film, and the only one I can really see challenging it from a technical standpoint at the moment is Denis Villeneuve with Dune (if the date sticks), although there’s bound to be some prestige fare coming in the next few months that will clinch it from both.

• Like 1