Eric is Anxious

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

After more than 6 months I finally went to cinemas again to see this... To think about this is as crazy as Tenet's plot itself

I would rate Tenet with 5/10. Obvious issues with editing and script. Nolan's greatest weakness is how he handles action sequences.

14 minutes ago, stripe said:

Nolan's greatest weakness is how he handles action sequences.

That's by far his biggest strength here. He's far more comfortable with it than ever before. And it really is the strongest part of the movie... 

Edited by reddevil19

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

That's not bad for the UK. I'd previously said I hadn't noticed much pent-up demand for cinema-going but clearly some was there. Or, at least, the virus didn't put too many off.

Cinemas have been open for 2 months already so it can't just be "pent-up demand". :) 

Yeah Unhinged was in wide release, quite a lot of marketing actually, and didn't do very well.

By comparison the Empire Strikes Back showing I went to was sold out :D 

I obviously understand this is the first "major" movie out, but still, people are aware that cinemas are open for business.

Regardless, here in the UK, Tenet has done very good numbers, like what I would expect it to open pre-COVID, so that is really damn impressive.

17 minutes ago, tree said:

Yeah Unhinged was in wide release, quite a lot of marketing actually, and didn't do very well.

By comparison the Empire Strikes Back showing I went to was sold out :D 

I obviously understand this is the first "major" movie out, but still, people are aware that cinemas are open for business.

Regardless, here in the UK, Tenet has done very good numbers, like what I would expect it to open pre-COVID, so that is really damn impressive.

Unhinged did to well. £1m from less than half the usual number of locations while most of Scotland, Ireland and Wales cinemas were still shut.

Of the reissues, only Inception bothered the top 5 and only for one weekend. 

Unhinged was never gonna be a big money-maker even in normal times, so it did relatively well. Again, you need product to get people out, and re-releases or direct-to-streaming movies or the Champions League final aren't going to have mass appeal. Tenet is a good starting point, but - really - I can;t imagine anything but a superhero flick attracting enough people out for it to be as close to normal as possible.

12 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Unhinged did to well. £1m from less than half the usual number of locations while most of Scotland, Ireland and Wales cinemas were still shut.

Of the reissues, only Inception bothered the top 5 and only for one weekend. 

I must disagree. Unhinged is currently in 380 cinemas, that's not "less than half".

And £1m over 4 weeks of release is pretty abysmal, don't see how that can be regarded as doing well.

• ...wtf 1

11 minutes ago, tree said:

I must disagree. Unhinged is currently in 380 cinemas, that's not "less than half".

And £1m over 4 weeks of release is pretty abysmal, don't see how that can be regarded as doing well.

Currently in 380 cinemas. Most of Scotland, Ireland and Wales just opened on Friday. It was in less than 280 for 3 weeks prior. 

Maybe you’re forgetting reduced capacity for every showing? And it certainly hasn’t had the 30 daily showtimes Tenet has. 

Unhinged has done well in the UK. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Currently in 380 cinemas. Most of Scotland, Ireland and Wales just opened on Friday. It was in less than 280 for 3 weeks prior. 

Maybe you’re forgetting reduced capacity for every showing? And it certainly hasn’t had the 30 daily showtimes Tenet has. 

Unhinged isn't the type of movie people will make a huge effort for, it would have had more buzz as a Netflix original. 

• ...wtf 1

21 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I didn't know that scotland/ireland/wales cinemas only just opened.

Regardless it still done pretty badly. plenty of films are shown in ~300 cinemas and do decently.

Reduced capacity is not relevant for this size of film. It opened to site average of £720 on its OW, I make that roughly 100 tickets sold over entire weekend, per cinema. 100 tickets is the capacity of 1 screening in an average cinema.

That is Nowhere near enough to be selling out reduced capacity screens.

We must have to agree to disagree. 

56 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Unhinged isn't the type of movie people will make a huge effort for, it would have had more buzz as a Netflix original. 

That would be leaving money on the table. 

Anyway let’s not derail. 

I’m reconsidering seeing Tenet due to the bad WOM. 

• ...wtf 5

21 minutes ago, Giesi said:

The critics and fan reviews are overwhelmingly positive, many are saying the movie gets even better with repeat viewings. 

Yeah, two of my family members and three of my friends have watched it and they all liked it. They didn't LOVE it but they definitely thought it was worth seeing on the big screen. Bad word of mouth came with something like suicide squad, not tenet.

23 minutes ago, Giesi said:

The critics and fan reviews are overwhelmingly positive, many are saying the movie gets even better with repeat viewings. 

I have seen the online reviews, but I mean offline: original word-of-mouth. 

3 family members have seen it and hated it. I’ve got back to work today after the bank holiday and there’s other people in work that went. No one I’ve spoken to in person, so far, has liked it. Anecdotal on here obviously, but the real WOM I’ve heard, is terrible. 

“Confusing” seems to be the consensus. Won’t be surprised to see that critics RT score decline as more reviews get added. 

30 minutes ago, Giesi said:

“Overwhelmingly positive” is a bit over the top I think. It’s down to 80% just now (another 200+ reviews to come, probably)