Eric the Fall Guy

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

WB gets dunked on a lot, but they also have the most diversified line-up of films and are the only studio that green-lights big budget original auteur vehicles - albeit that luxury seems to only be afforded to Nolan right now (unless Dune counts? then Villeneuve too, i guess)

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Nolan peaked at Inception and his movies have been increasingly worse ever since.

Hot take!

1 hour ago, TMP said:

WB gets dunked on a lot, but they also have the most diversified line-up of films and are the only studio that green-lights big budget original auteur vehicles - albeit that luxury seems to only be afforded to Nolan right now (unless Dune counts? then Villeneuve too, i guess)

Villeneuve already had BR 2049 as well.

Though I think he will get more limited in the future by the studio(s) - Dune is bound to be a bomb. It will probably be beautiful, quite possibly a good movie, but it won't be a crowd-pleaser. And as much as a studio might value a director, I can't see them continuing to give free reign on 150-200 million budget movies that constantly fail at the box office. 

Not on the Nolan hype train myself.

Yes, he has produced some good (and not so good) movies but nothing that i felt i need to own and watch multiple times for years to come.

That's all i have to contribute to this thread untill we hear or better yet see more of his new film...

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Villeneuve already had BR 2049 as well.

That was a co-production with Sony, so it's only half a WB film, whereas they're distributing Dune everywhere themselves. The fact that they're even financing it after BR2049 bombed is pretty awesome

9 minutes ago, TMP said:

That was a co-production with Sony, so it's only half a WB film, whereas they're distributing Dune everywhere themselves. The fact that they're even financing it after BR2049 bombed is pretty awesome

Aye, that's what I meant - the fact that he's getting Dune (well, I suppose it could still all go to shit) at all is impressive, but I don't see how that movie doesn't bomb and that might limit his passion projects/auteur big budget prospects afterwards. I actually think the only way that Dune would be successful is if someone like Nolan directed it, because, as Dunkirk proved, he can sell a project on his name. Villeneuve has passionate fanboys, but Nolan has recognition among casuals. Now, I don't think Dune would be a major blockbuster either way, but I think with Nolan it could do Dunkirk - Interstellar numbers, whereas atm I think it's going to be another BR 2049...

3 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Warner has one hell of a line up for Summer 2020 :

Wonder Woman 1984

Kong vs Godzilla

Nolan s unmitigated new masterpiece

So, I think we can safely assume that WB will win 2020 with the films you mentioned, BOP, Doctor Sleep (this is going to be like It all over again) the scooby doo movie, and maybe Space Jam 2 and another DC film (Batman?). The only big film Disney has is Avatar which won't be enough for the studio to come first. Could be the first year since 2015 that a non-Disney studio comes top in terms of studio market share and the first time WB comes top since 2013.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

So, I think we can safely assume that WB will win 2020 with the films you mentioned, BOP, Doctor Sleep (this is going to be like It all over again) the scooby doo movie, and maybe Space Jam 2 and another DC film (Batman?). The only big film Disney has is Avatar which won't be enough for the studio to come first. Could be the first year since 2015 that a non-Disney studio comes top in terms of studio market share and the first time WB comes top since 2013.

Disney is gonna feel really good about listening to Mike Cernovitch when they come in number 2 in 2020...

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

They have two MCU movies scheduled, don't they? Even lower tier movies should still make serious money for them in the MCU - enough to make it an even playing field with WB's slate, especially if Avatar doesn't drop massively compared to the original.

Not really feeling Batman in time for 2020, but if they DO make it (a winter release), coming off a potential winning run with AQM, Shazam, Joker, WW84, with a new lead actor, that could very well bring Bats up to the top of the pile...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Very possible. I know they have 2 MCU films coming in that year but if they’re really Black Widow and Eternals, I could only see the former being a major success (anything from $700M-$1.2B really, hard to predict). Aside from that, they have Mulan and Maleficient 2 coming out, which I don’t personally see them making as much the giant live action remakes from this year. Mulan could obviously blow up in China but Maleficient is pointless.

Edited by JGAR4LIFE

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Don't rule out Universal yet-they have Minions 2, a couple Blumhouse films, Bond 25 (international distribution only), and Fast and Furious 9 next year as well.

7 minutes ago, 35MM-18 said:

Don't rule out Universal yet-they have Minions 2, a couple Blumhouse films, Bond 25 (international distribution only), and Fast and Furious 9 next year as well.

I was talking about domestic.  Talking about studio-market share gets tricky when including worldwide figures.

21 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

I could only see the former being a major success (anything from $700M-$1.2B really, hard to predict).

I don't see that happening. Black Widow will be a lot more grounded and smaller in scale compared to other Marvel films. I don't think a movie like that would come anywhere close a billion. 600-700 mil seems more likely especially if they take the spy thriller route (taking it in the direction of an action movie would be horrible considering that ScarJo is playing Black Widow and seems to refuse doing her own action 99% of the time meaning lots of fast edits and shaky cam).

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don't see that happening. Black Widow will be a lot more grounded and smaller in scale compared to other Marvel films. I don't think a movie like that would come anywhere close a billion. 600-700 mil seems more likely especially if they take the spy thriller route (taking it in the direction of an action movie would be horrible considering that ScarJo is playing Black Widow and seems to refuse doing her own action 99% of the time meaning lots of fast edits and shaky cam).

Black Widow is both one of the first Avengers and most iconic characters in the MCU. I can honestly see her film deservedly making more than Captain Marvel if they market her film like an event.