WrathOfHan

25TH SCREEN ACTORS GUILD AWARDS DISCUSSION THREAD (BLACK PANTHER/MALEK/CLOSE/ALI/BLUNT WIN)

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

i'd like to thank SAG for fueling another 12 pages of arguing in the black panther thread.

iNfInItY wAr HaD a BeTtEr EnSeMbLe

woah woah woah. Black Panther won Best Ensemble?

:hahaha:

How that gets it over Buster Scruggs... which has what 10+ brilliant performances. seriously.

Just now, Avatree said:

have you watched The Wife? Or just talking out your ass?

As much as it might be a career Oscar... a lot of people who saw The Wife say it is her best performance ever.

Saw both.

Coleman was better.  

I do admit I thought The Wife wasn't a good movie at all and I really liked The Favourite.

2 minutes ago, Gamera said:

Saw both.

Coleman was better.  

I do admit I thought The Wife wasn't a good movie at all and I really liked The Favourite.

Okay fair dos. But if you're going to tell me how much you love Olivia Colman could you please do her the courtesy of spelling her name right.

12 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

ASIB momentum has now further eroded. 

While Malek won SAG, the voting closed before the Atlantic post on Bryan singer's abusive behaviour resurfaced. Some voters may switch the vote back to bale. 

Honestly I just find that so stupid. If Malek doesn't win the Oscar BECAUSE of Singer's allegations that is ridiculous. Malek's performance has nothing to do with Singer as a human being. Now, if he doesn't win because someone else gave a better performance, that's totally cool. But at this point, it's as if the awards aren't supposed to go to "the best" it's about who is "best behaved". And Malek himself didn't do anything wrong! It's not like Singer is winning best director!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I don't think the Bryan Singer controversy is going to hurt Malek at all. Singer's antics have been an open secret in Hollywood for years and they've already had plenty of opportunities to torpedo the awards hopes for Malek in particular or the film as a whole. The fact that it's nominated for Best Picture and has the frontrunner for Best Actor despite a relatively weak critical reception speaks to just how little the Singer controversy has hurt this film on the awards circuit; it certainly appeared vulnerable enough to be blown off-course with controversy, yet that never happened.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

I don't think the Bryan Singer controversy is going to hurt Malek at all. Singer's antics have been an open secret in Hollywood for years and they've already had plenty of opportunities to torpedo the awards hopes for Malek in particular or the film as a whole. The fact that it's nominated for Best Picture and has the frontrunner for Best Actor despite a relatively weak critical reception speaks to just how little the Singer controversy has hurt this film on the awards circuit; it certainly appeared vulnerable enough to be blown off-course with controversy, yet that never happened.

That movie and Green Book sure have been an interesting study in movies that have survived multiple awards season controversies.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DAJK said:

Honestly I just find that so stupid. If Malek doesn't win the Oscar BECAUSE of Singer's allegations that is ridiculous. Malek's performance has nothing to do with Singer as a human being. Now, if he doesn't win because someone else gave a better performance, that's totally cool. But at this point, it's as if the awards aren't supposed to go to "the best" it's about who is "best behaved". And Malek himself didn't do anything wrong! It's not like Singer is winning best director!

There are tons of people out there hope Malek or anyone that has anything to do with making bohemian rhapsody pay for Singer's misdeed although Malek had been hostile towards Singer on set and off screen. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Webslinger said:

Truthfully they can't exactly punish Malek for working with Singer cause most of them have worked with Singer or someone equally controversial too. And yes, if the Singer issue was going to be a sticking point, certainly the film's mixed critical reception would've given them a convenient excuse to bury the film and forget about it. The fact that it's overcome all of that just tells you people inexplicably love it regardless.

As for Malek's strategy in dealing with the controversy, I really wonder why he's avoiding it and not just throwing Singer further under the bus since it's well known that they never had a good working relationship at all. H

• Like 2

list sorted per SAGA website

Cast - Black Panther

Glenn Close - The Wife

Rami Malek - Bohemian Rhapsody

Emily Blunt - A Quiet Place

Mahershala Ali - Green Book

TV

Ensemble - This is Us

Sandra Oh - Killing Eve

Jason Bateman - Ozark

Ensemble Comedy - The Marvelous Miss Maisel

Rachel Brosnahan - The Marvelous Miss Maisel

Tony Shalhoub - The Marvelous Miss Maisel

TV movie / limited series

Patricia Arquette - Escape at Dannemora

Darrem Chris - The Assassination Gianni Versace....

Stunts - Black Panther

Stunts TV - Glow