sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimate | LEGO MOVIE 2 $8.5M | WHAT MEN WANT $6.6M | COLD PURSUIT $ 3.64M | THE PRODIGY $2.02M

26 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Lego Movie 2 is a flop and Mary Poppins Returns was wildly over predicted by everyone and some people want to ignore that now because they are embarrassed by that stone cold fact. There has been plenty of talk about how much of a flop Lego Movie 2 is and that talk will continue. Not a great start to 2019 for WB. 

Yes, it may not have flopped in a financial sense, though, 330M on a 130M budget is barely profitable if at all, kind of benefited from a relatively high domestic ratio I guess. But it is one of the most over-predicted box office performance of all time. when other movies are destined to flop, people usually smell it coming a mile away.

I mean, I still remember all those, 600M+ at least, 1B+ in play, completely crush Aquaman talks...

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1

After Glass,  Lego Movie disappointment  I see the streak continues with another sequel how to train your dragon3 then US,  Secret life of pets2, Men in Black , Toy Story 4 and definitely Frozen2 

15 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

330M on a 130M budget is barely profitable if at all, kind of benefited from a relatively high domestic ratio I guess

For Disney, but if it was just a movie I am not sure that would be true, it depend a bit of how it plays.

Take that movie for example:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=hitch.htm

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $179,495,555    48.8%
Foreign:  $188,604,865    51.2%

Worldwide:  $368,100,420  

It's budget+ participation bonus was $140m, it made a ton of money a giant 150m in profits, high domestic performance is quite significant.

Trying to look at some comparable in that budget range, Elysium at $164m (126m in direct production budget, rest in bonus) was expected to hit is this a nice use of capital return of 15.5% ROI at 145m dbo / 203m intl.

3 minutes ago, Spectre said:

Frozen 2 is going to be huge. The cult following that movie has is ridiculous.  I’m not worried about that one at all.

It has comptetion from Margie Claus,  Jumanji, Cats, Star Wars unlike Frozen 1 which had only Hunger Games and later Hobit . 400 M is no joke guys and In international market I can bet it won't cross 200M in Japan as it happened last time, 

Frozen 2 has very little competition to deal with for at least three weeks as well as being the only animated movie option in that period. I'd be disappointed if it couldn't crack $400M with so little obstacles in its way. Toy Story 4 and Secret Life of Pets 2 will clash sure but both will clear $300M with ease I think. No need to worry about Disney, Pixar and Illumination. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, xxoo said:

It has comptetion from Margie Claus,  Jumanji, Cats, Star Wars unlike Frozen 1 which had only Hunger Games and later Hobit . 400 M is no joke guys and In international market I can bet it won't cross 200M in Japan as it happened last time, 

Jumanji and Star Wars don't come out until almost a month after Frozen 2. Margie Claus being a Christmas movie will help but it's not really gonna challenge Frozen's family/kids audience. 

42 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Yes, it may not have flopped in a financial sense, though, 330M on a 130M budget is barely profitable if at all, kind of benefited from a relatively high domestic ratio I guess. But it is one of the most over-predicted box office performance of all time. when other movies are destined to flop, people usually smell it coming a mile away.

I mean, I still remember all those, 600M+ at least, 1B+ in play, completely crush Aquaman talks...

Overpredicted? Sure. Who's fault is that? No it probably didnt do as much as Disney hoped but it will be profitable. After all that is the goal of making films, to produce more money than you spent on it, and MPR was a success on that front.

Everything will disappoint box office wise in 2019.

By january 2020, Netflix will offer to their subs a neuro data application that allows streaming directly into the neo cortex, allowing to stream content 16 hours a day to see all of their original programming.

Box office will plummett by 70% around the world by 2025.

At this point in time, Netflix subscribers will have become mummified zombies gobbling content like bacteria just because they can.

#Progress

• Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Frozen 2 has very little competition to deal with for at least three weeks as well as being the only animated movie option in that period. I'd be disappointed if it couldn't crack $400M with so little obstacles in its way. Toy Story 4 and Secret Life of Pets 2 will clash sure but both will clear $300M with ease I think. No need to worry about Disney, Pixar and Illumination. 

The Call of the wild is set to release in Christmas which is animation