MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

I was talking to someone yesterday who did finance at WB during the Tsujihara years and he said the corporate culture from the top-down was just appalling. Sometimes team composition is more important than the quality of each team member, so I think it's more-so a case-by-case basis - telling someone to not show loyalty to any employer is an easy way to kneecap their growth lol

Warner was definitely a mess under Tsujhara. Just look at DC announcing 50 movies per week under his reign, most of them focusing on weird and obscure characters while Henry Cavill's Superman collected dust on their shelves. Most of those quietly died in development hell over the years, and the ones that did make it mostly underperformed or bombed. Thankfully James Gunn seems to be building an actual foundation with Superman and Batman movies and a Green Lantern TV series being a part of their introductory slate. The rest of the League will likely have to wait until the stench of the DCEU has faded away, but hopefully we'll get to them after this initial slate gets completed.

13 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Warner was definitely a mess under Tsujhara. Just look at DC announcing 50 movies per week under his reign, most of them focusing on weird and obscure characters while Henry Cavill's Superman collected dust on their shelves. Most of those quietly died in development hell over the years, and the ones that did make it mostly underperformed or bombed. Thankfully James Gunn seems to be building an actual foundation with Superman and Batman movies and a Green Lantern TV series being a part of their introductory slate. The rest of the League will likely have to wait until the stench of the DCEU has faded away, but hopefully we'll get to them after this initial slate gets completed.

The stuff he said about Kilar sounds even worse. Some tech bro sending deranged stress fueled emails at 10 PM to all of his employees. What a joke industry. No wonder adults don't go to see movies anymore if these are the idiots running the ship.

1 hour ago, TMP said:

I was talking to someone yesterday who did finance at WB during the Tsujihara years and he said the corporate culture from the top-down was just appalling. Sometimes team composition is more important than the quality of each team member, so I think it's more-so a case-by-case basis - telling someone to not show loyalty to any employer is an easy way to kneecap their growth lol

Yes.

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Terrible idea from Wan to use Black Manta as the bad guy. Wasn't he already part of 1st movie. Normally sequels up the ante but here the stakes seem smaller. 

The first movie set up Manta as the main villain for a sequel

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Wait are they killing a baby in this? Because that would be a very easy way to get a D CinemaScore lol

Would be surprised if it isn't one big tease and the plot of the movie really revolves around the baby being kidnapped/used as bait for a showdown with Aquaman.

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Honestly, since this movie is going to flop anyway, I'd rather they just kill the baby and go down in a blaze of glory.

I still think they won't kill the baby. My bets are: his dad dies (we can actually see it on the scene where Aquaman is crying on the trailer and now in this new one) and Mera + baby will be kidnapped in the beginning of the movie.

But I'm sure they filmed the scene, that's why the screenings were bad.

5 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

This is why nobody should show any loyalty to their employer/any company. The creatives that worked on these films made Disney/WB billions, were tasked to make a sequel, and the companies just abandoned them. These suits don't care about anyone but themselves and their own bottom line.

Uh, they are a business. Businesses exist to make profits for the shareholders. Explain why a studio should spend money and increase the red ink on a project they think does not have much of  a chance athe box offixce.

As for the creatives, they knew this could happen when they signed the contracts. As long as they got paid what the contract guarantted, they don;t have much of a recourse.

Still amazed people don't get studios are businesses, and do not exist to fund filmmakers.

Of course I don't hate private businesses the way that the cool, hip, "Anti Capitalist" do.

Of coutse, I aslo detect anger that the era of CBM dominance is over.

3 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Terrible idea from Wan to use Black Manta as the bad guy. Wasn't he already part of 1st movie. Normally sequels up the ante but here the stakes seem smaller. 

Uh, Manta was one of the things people liked about the first movie. He was much more interesting than the main villian..who was pretty much a Loki Ripoff.  

12 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Uh, they are a business. Businesses exist to make profits for the shareholders. Explain why a studio should spend money and increase the red ink on a project they think does not have much of  a chance athe box offixce.

As for the creatives, they knew this could happen when they signed the contracts. As long as they got paid what the contract guarantted, they don;t have much of a recourse.

Still amazed people don't get studios are businesses, and do not exist to fund filmmakers.

Of course I don't hate private businesses the way that the cool, hip, "Anti Capitalist" do.

I'm sorry but if that's what a company is, a device to make money for executives and shareholders, then society has failed.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dudalb said:

We all know how studios work, why should we defend this? lol 

Just because they act like greedy monsters that doesn’t mean we can’t support talent to clap back or simply harm them somehow when they’re mistreated 

It’s not simply about being anti capitalist, is that no one here is profiting from this to support it blindly. 

• Like 2