Eric Loves Rey

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

4 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Except you're factoring sequels into the equation.

I don't have a list on hand but I'm pretty sure the only solo debut to go below 2.7x is TIH.

You’re right.

Without TIH, the worst multiplier for a solo debut in MCU was Doctor Strange with 2.73x (and this movie face much bigger competition than CM will).

I can see this doing 2.65 - 2.7x even without much competition because of the big debut, but lower than that doesn’t make sense. This isn’t a sequel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Men overall led over females last night 60% to 40%. It will be interesting to see if that changes over the weekend. Captain Marvel pulled in a 77% general audience, 9% parents and 4% kids. Kids under 12 gave the female superhero five stars with girls giving the pic 100% and boys 91%. In order of demo draw last night men 25+ led at 37% followed by men under 25 (23%), women over 25 (21%) and women under 25 (18%). Women love the pic better than guys, 91% to 82% with females over 25 bestowing the best grades from adults on Carol Danvers at 96% positive."

From the DHD article

Edited by FlashMaster659
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

SMH was 7.6x the previews while BP was 8x. Gives CM 157-166.

I think folks can agree that BP was uniquely back-loaded (we already saw CM beating BP in pre-sales while previews ending up lower) and Sunday hold was a killer.

AIW was 6.6x+ I think but being a tri-quel and an ow record holder not a fair comparison.

Close to SMH's multi looks like the target.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Are people really seeing a 2.5 multiplier for a female centric comic book film? 

The female centric part may be counterbalanced by the superhero part. 

Regarding your comparison to A:IW leg of 2.65, as someone who have seen CM, I have a feeling that it won't have as much repeat viewing as AIW.

• Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, FlashMaster659 said:

"Men overall led over females last night 60% to 40%. It will be interesting to see if that changes over the weekend. Captain Marvel pulled in a 77% general audience, 9% parents and 4% kids. Kids under 12 gave the female superhero five stars with girls giving the pic 100% and boys 91%. In order of demo draw last night men 25+ led at 37% followed by men under 25 (23%), women over 25 (21%) and women under 25 (18%). Women love the pic better than guys, 91% to 82% with females over 25 bestowing the best grades from adults on Carol Danvers at 96% positive."

From the DHD article

Thursday night showings historically have been male-dominated so I'm not surprised. Pretty sure the general weekend stats will favor women.

7 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

From the DHD article

Does Cinemascore do a breakdown by gender?  I suspect there's going to be a gap between male and female grades and the demographic breakdown of Friday night's audiences might really matter for overall score.

4 minutes ago, justvision said:

The female centric part may be counterbalanced by the superhero part. 

Regarding your comparison to A:IW leg of 2.65, as someone who have seen CM, I have a feeling that it won't have as much repeat viewing as AIW.

This isn’t a good comparison, making 2.65x coming from a $ 155M debut is much easier. Also first metrics from public seems really strong.

17 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

It's a solo debut with a heavy female audience. There is no way it has CW-esque legs.

Hmmm:

6 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

From the DHD article

Wonder Woman was 52% female for its first weekend. Maybe Captain Marvel can make up a bit over the weekend, unless it plays like every other Marvel film. 

THR tweeted an article about the film being “sandbagged” on Rotten Tomatoes.

It’s audience score is 33% from 58,000 ratings. 

Sad people, lol. Those white male trolls are so noisy, yet always have zero impact at the box office. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, a2k said:

SMH was 7.6x the previews while BP was 8x. Gives CM 157-166.

I think folks can agree that BP was uniquely back-loaded (we already saw CM beating BP in pre-sales while previews ending up lower) and Sunday hold was a killer.

AIW was 6.6x+ I think but being a tri-quel and an ow record holder not a fair comparison.

Close to SMH's multi looks like the target.

I'm thinking internal multi will be right between SMH and CW so around 7.3x-7.4x so around 151M-153M.

Edited by RealLyre
  • Like 2

You know, too many people are so stupid these days. "Facts" become opinions, and the only things that are really "true" are what you already believe. Jeez, while the internet does spawn great discussion and possibilities, it also spawns immense stupidity. 

• Like 2