Eric Duncan

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

He did that for Skyscraper and Baywatch as well and both of those flopped. It's just what The Rock does.

just one time let's see the rock's "lol whoops. looks like nobody cared" post-opening weekend insta post.

• Like 1

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion but I would rather have someone be like The Rock and promote the hell out of movie regardless of how it is doing financially or critically than a movie star who hides away/is ashamed when their movie is not doing well. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion but I would rather have someone be like The Rock and promote the hell out of movie regardless of how it is doing financially or critically than a movie star who hides away/is ashamed when their movie is not doing well. 

I agree but The Rock is paid tons of cash to promote his films no matter what.  Much more than other actors I think. And he has production credits as well. 

Edited by EarlyDeadlinePredictions

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Hell, he even took the Razzie nominations for Baywatch in stride too. I say keep up the happy-go-lucky thing, Dwayne!

8 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I'm surprised you are all talking about iconic comic book movie scenes and there was no mention of old Superman movies, considering when Man Of Steel came out everyone here seemed to be such a fan of them.

superman-flying-gif.gif

This scene is pretty epic tho 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Kinda that although what bothers me most with the MCU (and I'm a Marvel and DC fan) is this lack of a true vision, of a sense of authorship. I understand why some folks refer to Feige as kind of the mastermind even though he's not directing. It feels more like the TV model where the directors are like guest directors so to speak. I like Fleck and Boden's work, usually, but I'd be hard pressed to tell you that they directed this, just like I couldn't tell you who directed the Ant-Man films (if I didn't know) or Dr Strange, or Thor: TDW, (I'd include Ragnarok but people don't seem to like it when I do :D ), hell, most of the MCU films aside from Black Panther I'd say. And The Russos arguably, even though they don't really have a particular style I'd say.

It just feels interchangeable to me, like assembly line products, a formula, very by the numbers. CM felt like AM&TW to me in that sense, I like it, I enjoy it but it's so gutless, so safe, there's no visual stamp (a few interesting shots interspersed throughout, otherwise it's the good old Marvel Studios visual scheme), no distinct vision and I'll probably forget about it in a few days. I'd say the way the memories were dealt with in the opening of the film is pretty cool, but otherwise, it's on automatic. Larson is good but doesn't have enough material to shine like she did in Room for example (I know, very different), Mendelsohn is great as always, Law is strong, the rest is fine. The action is fine. 

The CG de-aging though, if there is much of it, I don't know, because it looks flawless. Saw it in laser IMAX (great 3D by the way, stood out more than usual) and it just struck me as great practical makeup (and L.Jackson looks younger than his age) mixed in with some small amount of CG. Same for Gregg, maybe one shot towards the end, might have been the lighting where his mouth looked perhaps a tad unnatural, but not sure.

I hope Marvel starts taking more risks and perhaps starts from scratch visually for example and gives their directors and DPs more room to craft more memorable films and visuals, etc. There have so many great cinematographers working on several of those films, and it always seems like their talent is wasted, one hand tied behind their backs, geez. 

The mid credits scene is exciting though, very excited for Endgame. 

I don't know... I think Captain Marvel has a quirky, off-kilter quality that sets it apart from most other Marvel movies.

I honestly don't get the "Marvel should take more risks" sentiment. I do see risks and I do see different styles being embraced. Waititi, Gunn, Coogler, Watts, the Russos....they all have different styles and I think you see that reflected in their movies. Could some movies be more ambitious? Sure. But I'd say the MCU has become successful, almost to a fault, since it seems some equate the lack of a truly polarizing film or "ambitious flop" with a lack of risk taking. 

As for third acts, I think both Infinity War and Black Panther's are strong. Yes, the CGI in BP's last act is not the best but the quality of the storytelling is certainly high.  

Edited by Ororo Munroe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

I'm surprised you are all talking about iconic comic book movie scenes and there was no mention of old Superman movies, considering when Man Of Steel came out everyone here seemed to be such a fan of them.

MOS>>>> aquabro-BvS-Suicide squad 

4 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

I don't know... I think Captain Marvel has a quirky, off-kilter quality that sets it apart from most other Marvel movies.

I honestly don't get the "Marvel should take more risks" sentiment. I do see risks and I do see different styles being embraced. Waititi, Gunn, Coogler, Watts, the Russos....they all have different styles and I think you see that reflected in their movies. Could some movies be more ambitious? Sure. But I'd say the MCU has become successful, almost to a fault, since it seems some equate the lack of a truly polarizing film or "ambitious flop" with a lack of risk taking. 

As for third acts, I think both Infinity War and Black Panther's are strong. Yes, the CGI in BP's last act is not the best but the quality of the storytelling is certainly high.  

I don't know, I'm just not seeing it, I feel like "anyone" could direct those films. And, real question but Watts? He had made two films before Spider-Man, it's not as if he'd already developed a style, the Russos had done some episodes of Arrested Development, Community, two comedies, same deal. Gunn, yeah, I guess his quirkiness is there although toned down, but I guess most blockbusters feel this way but most especially the MCU to me. Black Panther is an outlier for me, this is Ryan Coogler all the way. IW, I really dig like all the ones the Russos directed. Everything else is just completely forgettable imo. 

Not to start another debate, but every DC film (aside from Justice League, thanks Joss), I see a vision, I see visual flair, I know who directed each and everyone of those films. 

Edited by TimmyRiggins