Bordlove

Biggest Box Office Disappointments of the Decade

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

Justice League flopped because everybody hated Batman v Superman. Batman v Superman is the biggest disappointment of the decade. It had a killer premise that should have guaranteed 1.3-1.5 billion and it under performed and basically destroyed the DCEU. How can that not be number one?

Hard to qualify a movie that still made $330M domestic as the biggest disappointment of the decade. When I think of disappointments, I think of movies that really came below expectations to the point of certified floppage. 

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Hard to qualify a movie that still made $330M domestic as the biggest disappointment of the decade. When I think of disappointments, I think of movies that really came below expectations to the point of certified floppage. 

Well, it's DOM legs multiplier is still the one to beat for blockbusters - that does count for something for BvS:)...

I think this thread needs to define what it means by "disappointment" - to me, that doesn't mean the movie actually had to be a "bomb" or "money loser", but was something that spectacularly didn't live up to the general consensus pre-open expectation or the post-leg expectation...

Edited by TwoMisfits

I guess if we want to speak of movies that still made money Passengers definitely comes to mind given the pre-release hype and expectations. Has to be the most forgettable movie to cross the mark this decade too.

The Magnificent Seven also had massive expectations at the time given the combo of Denzel and Pratt in an action movie yet made less than either of Denzel's Equalizer films with significantly lower budgets from the same director. 2016: The Year of Chris Pratt wasn't to be, I guess.

Edited by filmlover

4 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Is no one really mentioning TFA? The hype around that versus where it fell has to be a disappointment, or am I being crazy? I remember being afraid for Avatar, then it failed to even get past second place! 

It had everything going for it, and sure it did well, but this is Star Wars we're talking about! 

The Force Awakens is currently the highest-grossing film of all time in North America.

Movies since 2010 that I can remember that absolutely surprised me that they didn’t do better at the time:

Shrek 4

Toy Story 3 ( I was expecting more)

Rio

Scream 4

Kung Fu Panda 2

Super 8

Transformers 3

Puss in Boots

Sherlock Holmes 2

Battleship

Amazing Spider Man

Hobbit (all three)

Star Trek Into Darkness

Pac Rim

Walking With Dinosaurs

Paranormal Marked Ones

Amazing Spider Man 2

Edge of Tomorrow

Dawn of Apes (I thought would do better)

Interstellar

Penguins of Madagascar

Jupiter Ascending

Unfriended

Pixels

Peanuts movie

Good Dinsaur

Ninja Turtles 2

ID2

Legend of Tarzan

Ice Age 5

Great Wall

Life

Pirates 5

Transformers 5

Blade Runner

Geostorm

Justice League

Hurricane Heist

Christopher Robin

First Man

Edited by CaptainJackSparrow
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Michael Fassbenger and Oscar Isaac attempts to be the leading man

That's your bomb of the decade. Nobody produced more bombs than their thirst for leading man status.

Ryan Gosling is still trying

I think Passengers and Solo are the biggest disappointments, Green Lantern was also a huge flop while superheroes were on rise.

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Ha, ha, that one too. The Holy Trinity of Bombs. ;)

At least they are good actors, to be honest i don't think there is an actor nowdays without a bomb.

Ryan Reynolds, Chris Hemsworth, Jake Gyllenhaal the list is endless. 

I think it's Justice League, since it's the one with the least mitigating circumstances.

To me anything that's an original property hasn't previously been a film should get a free pass from this convo. (Passengers, Pixels, Mortal Engines)

Other films simply looked like a bomb from a distance, can't see how they should be counted (King Arthur, Robin Hood, Joh Carter)

Other films have the excuse of the time between instalments being misjudged (Lego 2, Alice, Scream 4)

Others have a general negative sentiment towards a franchise or genre coming to a head (Mockinjay 2, Transformers TLK, Pirates 5)

And finally some films have at least the excuse of being a property that doesn't have true worldwide coverage. Solo being the most obvious here, but also things like Christopher Robin, Mary Poppins.

None of those were true of Justice League. Even compensating for negative responses to BVS that it made do little worldwide is just barely conceivable to me. I mean, Suicide Squad was the worst film I've possibly ever seen be released in a major capacity and THAT made money, so how JL didn't from the same label is just beyond me.  

JUSTICE LEAGUE

the fact Wonder Woman makes 400 million and Aquaman made 1.1 billion shows that if the DCU was as careful as the MCU they could have had there own Avengers level films if they wanted to. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

The Magnificent Seven also had massive expectations at the time given the combo of Denzel and Pratt in an action movie yet made less than either of Denzel's Equalizer films with significantly lower budgets from the same director. 2016: The Year of Chris Pratt wasn't to be, I guess.

I think some would be surprised for the studio expectation on this, on the leaked e-mails they had in mind:

DBO       $85M
IBO        $65M
April 2016 U.S. Release date
Exclude MGM territories

It did:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $93,432,655    57.5%
Foreign:  $68,927,981    42.5%

It was planned at $75M net and it ended up 107M gross with a 30M Louisiana tax credit, I imagine with the other jurisdiction it ended up pretty close if not a bit under, that significantly higher than Equalizer 63m Net but (11-15M higher) but not that different. So I am not sure it ended far from the internal projection has a deception at all, or exactly what they expected. The maximum ceiling was thought to be about 225-245m for an Denzel western like that. Denzel never reached 200m ww since is movie with a peak Julia Robert, I am sure the expectation are in line with that, Denzel often get 9 figures budget because of how reliable he is, but they do not expect big ROI.

A bit funny way, Sony expected 180m (100m dom, 80m intl) on Equalizer, Denzel work like clockworks.   

Passenger movie certainly would make my personal top 10 deception (the movie itself, not just is BO, when the movie do not deliver it make the BO not delivering less of a "deception" in a way, it does not destroy the hope of the next similar project could work, same for a Valerian.

In that sense, The Nice Guys box office was quite the deception to me, good reviews, OK movie, great trailers, but probably not for the industry, someone that worked for WB UK marketing said that it will be an other kiss kiss bang bang with probably a small jump from it because of the studio marketing money.

Solo/Justice League of the 2010 is hard to beat.

Middly and in a different way, but Edge of Tomorrow ?

If that what a 180m budget PG-13, Liman/Blunt/Tom Cruise movie with a 90% rotten tomatoes score helped with good summer legs with one of the easiest to sell high concept do (100m dbo, 370m WW), how hard it is outthere ? (that put Alita number in perspective)

Edited by Barnack

1 hour ago, Hermia said:

At least they are good actors, to be honest i don't think there is an actor nowdays without a bomb.

Ryan Reynolds, Chris Hemsworth, Jake Gyllenhaal the list is endless. 

how could I forget Jake? :ohmygod:

true, everyone has a bomb, but some actors are more consistent bombs than others. :stirthepot:

3 hours ago, Hades said:

Was expecting Ted 2 to do a Hangover 2....:apocalypse:

This is a big one. 

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, it's DOM legs multiplier is still the one to beat for blockbusters - that does count for something for BvS:)...

I think this thread needs to define what it means by "disappointment" - to me, that doesn't mean the movie actually had to be a "bomb" or "money loser", but was something that spectacularly didn't live up to the general consensus pre-open expectation or the post-leg expectation...

This is why I asked in literally the first reply to this thread.

I knew it would be full of the obvious people who weren’t even excited for Justice League, saying Justice League lol

• Like 1