Eric Prime

US WEEKEND THREAD: Record 70.25 OW (highest grossing OW for an original horror)

Saw Us.

I really enjoyed it. Great camera work, in that regard it was a step up from Get Out. The 1st act is the best and the 3rd act overcomes its welcome a bit. So i dont think this is a masterpiece, but still a very good horror film.

8/10, will buy it on BRay.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

if it's not Front-loaded (high end)

29.5M Fri

28M -5% Sat

26M -36% Sun

83.5M OW

but a more realistic number would be

29M Fri

25.5M -12% Sat

15.8M -38% Sun

~70M

hope it manges 70M at least

The later seems more likely since if it's a $29-30m Friday it's already more front loaded than Halloween

Halloween -  (7.7m) 33m/27m / 16m

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Elsa Roc is completely on the money y’all. I love CM and am really pulling for 413+, but there’s medium sized competition ahead and any trailer/Endgame bump/double feature push will be a couple M at most.       

Given a reasonable 3rd weekend multi it need at least 34 this weekend for 400 to be looking good.  Which could totally happen — with an early 9 from Rth it’s pretty easy to imagine the weekend coming in at 9.2*3.9=36. Or it could be 8.7*3.7=32. If that happens I recommend you start aiming for GotG2’s total rather than THG, which had crazy late legs.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Elsa Roc is completely on the money y’all. I love CM and am really pulling for 413+, but there’s medium sized competition ahead and any trailer/Endgame bump/double feature push will be a couple M at most.       

Given a reasonable 3rd weekend multi it need at least 34 this weekend for 400 to be looking good.  Which could totally happen — with an early 9 from Rth it’s pretty easy to imagine the weekend coming in at 9.2*3.9=36. Or it could be 8.7*3.7=32. If that happens I recommend you start aiming for GotG2’s total rather than THG, which had crazy late legs.

I thought 400M was a lock after that good 2nd weekend hold?

and EG is right around the corner which will give it better boost than what IW gave BP.

2 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Nope. 400 was looking good in my opinion, but it depended on having a nice drop this weekend. The L-word is dangerous and overused.   

4 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

EG is right around the corner which will give it better boost than what IW gave BP.

BP first started to see an IW bump the weekend before it came out. Two weekends before it made 5.8M. Two weekends before AEG CM will likely make around 6M as well. So it will probably see about the same sized bump, which was worth maybe 5-8M (it’s very difficult to say, since you need to compare to the counterfactual where IW didn’t happen and it’s not clear what the weekend drops would be).

6 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

and EG is right around the corner which will give it better boost than what IW gave BP.

To play devils advocate and counter those saying CM won't have the same great late legs THG had, here are a few points;

When ticket pre-sales start for EndGame, it will be a reminder once more for everyone who hasn't yet seen CM to do so before the EG release. Ditto for those TV ads that will begin to run and feature CM.

The Easter Long weekend is also the weekend before EndGame releases, and is light on new releases, so if Disney is smart it will up the theatre count for CM that weekend and promote a "catch it before EndGame' weekend.

Then of course it will probably have some double features the weekend after that. 

Those late legs might be mighty impressive. 

• Like 1

The Us performance is no surprise to me. Get Out aside, this looked like something to see as a horror movie. You add that it’s from the man behind one of the biggest horror movies in the last two decades - gangbusters. I called it weeks ago this would do over $60 million, but clearly this weekend is going to be legendary. 

I saw the movie today - thought it was extraordinary. Works for the genre crowd, whilst being about soooooo much more that movie nerds are going to eat up. Jordan Peele has hit the big time. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, diddykongracing128 said:

Saw Us.

same ol slasher film. yawn. going to be frontloaded once people get wise to the scam. Jordan peele is a poc so he gets a pass from critics.

Get out is similarly overrated. nothing but stuff coming at you and saying BOO.

I Bet US is also having its studios buy tickets like Disney is doing with Captain Marvel.

There ain’t no scam going on here. 

This is a multi-layered, brilliant piece of writing/social commentary. Disguised as a genre piece.  

Some of the massive audience might well yawn at the nuances sailing over their heads, but this is a genuinely inspired piece of art. I was blown away by it. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

To play devils advocate and counter those saying CM won't have the same great late legs THG had, here are a few points;

When ticket pre-sales start for EndGame, it will be a reminder once more for everyone who hasn't yet seen CM to do so before the EG release. Ditto for those TV ads that will begin to run and feature CM.

The Easter Long weekend is also the weekend before EndGame releases, and is light on new releases, so if Disney is smart it will up the theatre count for CM that weekend and promote a "catch it before EndGame' weekend.

Then of course it will probably have some double features the weekend after that. 

Those late legs might be mighty impressive. 

so CM needs frequent EG reminders to sustain good legs? which is an advantage that THG (also not in 3D) didn't have. Almost makes one wanna root for THG. Almost. ;)

Edited by Valonqar

Given there will be an Endgame bump for CM then GOTG2 is definitely the floor for the final gross. The question is how that bump will play out. 

BP was further into its run when IW came out.  BP was almost flat over the 2 weekends leading up to IW. 

April 13-15: $5.78m

April 20-22: $4.93m

April 27-29: $4.74m (IW OW)

CM also has Easter the weekend before Endgame. 

Given all this and how close it will be to $400m I suspect Disney will do all they can to push it over the line. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

The Us performance is no surprise to me. Get Out aside, this looked like something to see as a horror movie. You add that it’s from the man behind one of the biggest horror movies in the last two decades - gangbusters. I called it weeks ago this would do over $60 million, but clearly this weekend is going to be legendary. 

I saw the movie today - thought it was extraordinary. Works for the genre crowd, whilst being about soooooo much more that movie nerds are going to eat up. Jordan Peele has hit the big time. 

But R rated horror movies don’t make money at the box office

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

But R rated horror movies don’t make money at the box office

On 4/11/2018 at 4:22 PM, Boxofficerules said:

All I can say is there this BETTER out gross every single R rated horror film for the past few years. This PG-13 slasher shit won’t fuck off? Fine, just out gross everything R rated, should be very easy as R rated horror movies don’t make money.

dude clocking in everytime a horror movie comes out like it's his job. lol you're really weird.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 18
  • Astonished 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Ororo Munroe said:

.... or just want to remake something they enjoyed. 

that reminds me about Peter Jackson's beginning and how/why he did... what he is now probably most famous for