CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

On 3/18/2022 at 12:11 PM, dudalb said:

More important is that the first two films were not very good.  I think many  people were wiling to give the second one a chance, but when it proved to be not any better then the first, they wrote the franchise off.

In my case, while I knew the first movie had some flaws, I still enjoyed it a lot, and I thought the franchise had potential, so I was eager to see the following installments.
Crimes of Grindelwald on the other hand... was such a mess and I wanted to walk out of the theater after the first 40 mins.
Based in the trailers, Secrets of Dumbledore looks like an improvement from the last installment, yet they failed at exciting me.
It could be said that this is the second chance I'm giving to the franchise. I will most likely watch SoD on opening weekend, but I can't say I'm looking foward for it.

• Like 2

On 3/17/2022 at 6:51 PM, Noctis said:

Alright, thanks. That wasn't mentioned in the leaks, so I was not sure. 

Do you think the reviews for this film will hit 60% fresh on RT (ignoring Rowling vendetta)? It really seems like a big improvement and one that most fans would easily prefer over Crimes.

Honestly, I would be surprised. The reception I've heard isn't great. It isn't terrible either, but sort of the definition of middling. And the people I know who've seen a cut of it haven't thought it was all that much an improvement on The Crimes of Grindelwald.

But, nobody's seen the final cut, and I've been wrong before. Frequently so when it comes to guessing RT scores!

On 3/18/2022 at 6:46 PM, Jak Ryan Drake Campbell said:

Do you plan to see FB3?

I think so. For my many issues with Jo Rowling at present, I'm invested in this world.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

Eddie Redmayne getting shunted from his own franchise is still so odd

Although maybe he prefers it that way seeing as he's also disavowed JKR's nonsense

They still haven't given a decent explanation why he's working with Dumbledore. In the first movie he was doing his own thing and just happened to come across Grindelwald, even in the sequel he was kinda doing his own thing and just came upon Grindelwald.  He should've been like Indiana Jones; getting offered jobs to protect/capture a magical creature from different parts of the world and having to fight off crazy wizards and muggles while doing so.

Newt is an underwritten character which sucks because I feel he has potential to grow, but they for some reason switched gears and made these movies all about Dumbledore when they original started out with Newt and his new American friends.

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, clockwork said:

They still haven't given a decent explanation why he's working with Dumbledore. In the first movie he was doing his own thing and just happened to come across Grindelwald, even in the sequel he was kinda doing his own thing and just came upon Grindelwald.  He should've been like Indiana Jones; getting offered jobs to protect/capture a magical creature from different parts of the world and having to fight off crazy wizards and muggles while doing so.

Newt is an underwritten character which sucks because I feel he has potential to grow, but they for some reason switched gears and made these movies all about Dumbledore when they original started out with Newt and his new American friends.

"DUMBLEDORE: Do you know why I admire you, Newt? More, perhaps, than any man I know? (off NEWT’S surprise) You don’t seek power or popularity. You simply ask, is the thing right in itself? If it is, then I must do it, no matter the cost."

The first movie had to introduce five new characters, so he had to "do he's own thing". But actually Dumbledore sent Newt to NY, and Grindelwald is an important part of the first one.  Newt's arc in Crimes of Grindelwald was accepting that in a war/rise of fascism, you have to choose a side. Nothing of great importance in the narrative has been changed, that was always the plan.

Does anyone really think 5 movies where Newt looks for fantastic beasts would be interesting?

38 minutes ago, Felipe said:

Does anyone really think 5 movies where Newt looks for fantastic beasts would be interesting?

There is a franchise/series called "How to Train your Dragon" and people loved those.  Also these are literally titled Fantastic Beasts, and thats what I (and most other people) expected these movies to be all about, not some weird backdoor pilot to a HP prequel.

And how many movies a year do we get which are basically "protagonist(s) go on quest for a object/person"? Any premise can be made fun/interesting if enough thought and time is put into it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Felipe said:

"DUMBLEDORE: Do you know why I admire you, Newt? More, perhaps, than any man I know? (off NEWT’S surprise) You don’t seek power or popularity. You simply ask, is the thing right in itself? If it is, then I must do it, no matter the cost."

The first movie had to introduce five new characters, so he had to "do he's own thing". But actually Dumbledore sent Newt to NY, and Grindelwald is an important part of the first one.  Newt's arc in Crimes of Grindelwald was accepting that in a war/rise of fascism, you have to choose a side. Nothing of great importance in the narrative has been changed, that was always the plan.

The simple solution would be not do five movies. This was originally conceived as a trilogy, after all. 

3 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

Eddie Redmayne getting shunted from his own franchise is still so odd

Although maybe he prefers it that way seeing as he's also disavowed JKR's nonsense

Pretty sure everyone is starting to realize that he has no acting range at all and that the Oscar should've gone to Keaton that year instead.

40 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Pretty sure everyone is starting to realize that he has no acting range at all and that the Oscar should've gone to Keaton that year instead.

I thought he was good in Theory of Everything,  Trial of the Chicago 7,  and a few other things I've seen him in.  And honestly what does having "range" even mean anymore and does it really matter these days?  It just feels like an arbitrary term people on the internet use that doesn't really mean anything.

I don't think actors/actresses themselves really care about having range; some just choose to say in a particular lane where others like to mix things up, there's merit to both approaches. I personally try to judge performances on a case by case basis and try not to think in terms of "oh wow they've taken on a different kind role this time " or "ugh they're just doing the same thing again".

I mean we got people like Keanu Reeves, Ryan Reynolds, and The Rock who've pretty much always take the same type of roles and act mostly the same in everything I've seen them in and yet people still love them for the most part. As always it ultimately boils down to subjective tastes more than any type objective measurement.

• Like 1

To be fair, if WB had released the clip of Dumbledore and Leta before the release of Crimes, people would have gone crazy too. 

But that 90 second clip of Dumbledore showed a lot of intensity for a portion in the film I was worried about seeing translated on screen. 

The RoR clip has a spoiler.