CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

The general vibes I've been getting from the reactions/reviews thus far (at least from critics) is that if you've not cared much for these movies or have outright hated them thus far then this one does little to change your opinion, whereas the people that have been rather ambivalent or decently positive about this series actually found found it to be fairly enjoyable. 

About 100+ audience ratings of RT thus far and the vast majority have been pretty positive, the actual audience score(s) haven't been released yet but I'm thinking it'll be in the 80s which tend to be the standard scores for a blockbuster. I'm still holding to my prediction that the box-office legs on this will be solid.

14 minutes ago, Gazer365 said:

out 100+ audience ratings of RT thus far and the vast majority have been pretty positive, the actual audience score(s) haven't been released yet but I'm thinking it'll be in the 80s which tend to be the standard scores for a blockbuster. I'm still holding to my prediction that the box-office legs on this will be solid.

Nah, 90s is standard for blockbusters. High 80s means underwhelming WoM.

I honestly don’t think this is an improvement from CoG at all, it’s still messy and confusing, probably worse. I just don’t get why Rowling write a script like this, none of the character knew what they doing nor the audiences.

• Sad 1

Grindelwald was a mess. I kind of admire it though. My take on it was more of a ‘what were they thinking’ when considering a wider audience. For hardcore fans lots of it was catnip, but they have really just left the kids behind with this franchise. And by that I mean family audiences. Which is astonishing really.  Massively expensive, talky mysteries for adults.

that’s no criticism of what Rowling and WB have committed to doing by the way. But it was never going to do the kind of numbers of the Potter movies just by design.  

it kind of makes me reevaluate how Lucas approached his prequels. Sure he had a complex political plot to tell, but he made sure they were also aimed at children - much to the disdain of now grown fanboys. 

What kid under twelve is going to really dig these Beasts movies over Potter? Their parents already know this from the last film, and are less likely to take them. 

• Like 1

Yates should go if only because he must be tired of the WW by now. It'd be nice to see him working on something else. Apparently his next film begins shooting this month. He's a good director, so that should be interesting.  

I don't get why people think changing directors is going to make a difference, though. The major problems with this series are with Rowling. As a writer, she's too big to challenge. I suspect any film maker just has to accommodate her issues.

2 hours ago, Menor Reborn said:

Batman started off at 95 before dropping.

We are talking about stabilised score right.

btw you totally didn’t get my sarcasm - The Batman was obviously well received so the high 80s means bad WoM thing is totally inaccurate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerPaw said:

btw you totally didn’t get my sarcasm - The Batman was obviously well received so the high 80s means bad WoM thing is totally inaccurate. 

Sure, there are outliers. But The Batman is also a 3 hr long superhero movie with little action. Not exactly as much of a 4 quadrant crowdpleaser as this is trying to be.

Edited by lorddemaxus

1 hour ago, TigerPaw said:

I thought we were talking about what the score would initially show up as.

I understood your point that Batman had good WOM, but given that FB1 got an A Cinemascore (mid-high 90s equivalent) and FB2 got a B+ (mid-high 80s equivalent), I wouldn't be that impressed with high 80s.

2 hours ago, Tarintino said:

50m is a poor number. I read alot of people saying they would boycott this over the Depp fiasco, I never believed they actually would but clearly it's hurt the gross

Johnny Depp has nothing to do with anything. The last movie already saw diminishing returns, and was poorly received. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tarintino said:

50m is a poor number. I read alot of people saying they would boycott this over the Depp fiasco, I never believed they actually would but clearly it's hurt the gross

I actually think 50 million for this would be a huge win. As a massive potter fan, i think this series has so, so much working against it right now. CoG was universally loathed, the Depp Fiasco, the Rowling transphobia and a lot of fans having conflicting emotions about supporting her right now, a story that can't seem to focus on beasts or Grindelwald/Dumbledore history.  

Best case for this would have been glowing reviews, a start around CoG and a finish around 200.  I think with these middle ground reviews and a lot of bad will 50 will actually be tough to hit. 40's seem more likely. Anything above 150 domestic would be a BIG win for this at this point.

I have tickets for this next week because I want to judge it for myself and would personally love to see The Great Duel but this should have been a trilogy. 

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 2