TMP

Weekend Thread | Actuals - The Other Captain Marvel 53.5 | The Secret Death of Pets 24.5 | Pachyderm Joker 18.2 | The Just-Us League 13.8 | Formerly Known as Ms. Marvel 12.4

1 hour ago, mulderfox said:

Am i hearing right Shazam is now a flop and not getting a sequel ? The world has gone crazy

It's a flop OS and did ok in US. Whether it's getting a sequel depends on DCEU's plan.

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Here's the thing with Endgame's weekend - it's gonna have 80% of screens/showings at each theater for the weekend (my "out of my butt" estimate that probably isn't far off for small and midsize theaters looking at current presale sets)...and then it's not gonna need more than 30-40% of them the following weekend. 

Very good point, and don't forget that Endgame will lose 100% of its theaters the weekend after that. (but so will Shazam...)

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Daenys said:

Superman Returns also had massive 270m budget. Batman Begins' budget was 150m.

That was a bit of a strange era for WB production budget, at the time the movie were sold to a Bank that owned them and were leasing them back to Warner Brother, making them UK production and actively participating to a massive tax break (that became a little bit of a scandal).

I think that was the bank shell company for BB:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/04985705/filing-history

That would be Goblet of fire:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/05039001

https://www.metacritic.com/company/patalex-iv-productions-limited

I am not surprised that era is filled with unknown budget (putting 150m filler type) despite the very "public" nature of them, but Begin do look quite more expensive than that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Boy, I'm really digging the new thing where we have a bunch of new members with letter/color boxes who seem to be completely negative about anything related to a DC property and praise anything related to Marvel in every thread. lol

I mean, it's nothing new ... but weird that we just got inundated with new ones in the last month or so.

Good domestic #, unfortunate overseas # ... whatever.

Edited by AdamKendall
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, mulderfox said:

Come on man Captain America 1 made 370 million from a budget of 170 million and was considered a hit. Shazam cost 80 million will likely make that too if not more. Thor 1 budget was 150 million made 449 million and was also a hit. You seriously don't think Shazam will be a hit too and get a sequel too ?

Shazam will get a sequel but I don't consider any of these movies box office hits. And comparing Shazam to movies that came out before the MCU and CBMs, in general, really exploded is not exactly the best argument. No, it's not a flop...yes, it's a success for what it is but in an era when unknown heroes can really take off at the box office, Shazam's run will ultimately be good, not great. And that's ok...not every CBM can or needs to make 800M+.

That said, I do think a sequel with more spectacle and featuring Black Adam has a chance to do much better, at least domestically. 

54 minutes ago, Brainbug said:
1 Dec. 18–20, 2015 51 $305,556,314 26,686 $11,450 5 Star Wars: The Force Awakens $247,966,675 81.2%
2 Apr. 27–29, 2018 17 $305,421,502 28,289 $10,796 1 Avengers: Infinity War $257,698,183 84.4%

These are the two biggest weekends of all time overall.

Scary thought that this record is basically guaranteed to be toast.

Speaking of records that seem almost certain to get demolished...

1 May 1–3, 2015 Avengers: Age of Ultron $191,271,109 84.5% $226,429,482
2 Apr. 27–29, 2018 Avengers: Infinity War $257,698,183 84.4% $305,421,502
3 May 4–6, 2007 Spider-Man 3 $151,116,516 83.3% $181,322,887
4 May 4–6, 2012 Marvel's The Avengers $207,438,708 83.1% $249,722,108
  • Like 2

Shazam's biggest advantage for getting a sequel is that it's a New Line film rather than Warner Bros, coupled with the fact we're also getting a Black Adam solo, they can justify doing a bigger scale sequel on a budget more akin to San Andreas or Rampage. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Shazam's biggest advantage for getting a sequel is that it's a New Line film rather than Warner Bros, coupled with the fact we're also getting a Black Adam solo, they can justify doing a bigger scale sequel on a budget more akin to San Andreas or Rampage. 

Their only issue is scheduling.    I think they have to do the sequel before the solo.  If they have to wait for a Black Adam solo before the sequel their you cast will be college (or near graduation) by the time the sequel comes along.

The "Endgame is deffo getting the OW record" talk reminds me of the run up to CACW, which everyone had pegged as opening at least to 220m, if not in contention with TFA. In the summer game a ton of people boosted their predictions. 

At the level of a hyper big opening, there are so few data points and probably a lot more noise than we realize that it's pretty ludicrous to call things definite. 

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 2

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Their only issue is scheduling.    I think they have to do the sequel before the solo.  If they have to wait for a Black Adam solo before the sequel their you cast will be college (or near graduation) by the time the sequel comes along.

I think Shazam 2 will be released in 2022, they'd have to be working on a script now in order to shoot it in 2020 for a 2021 release. The Black Adam solo I believe is shooting next year though they don't have a director attached yet.

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's fine, Tom Holland will be 30 by the time he leaves high school. :sparta:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Doubtful, he's already filmed 5 movies and is younger than when the other two started.

Also he doesn't have a SH alter ego who acts like he's 9.

Billy Batson in the movie has been aged up so shouldn't be an issue, it's the other cast members like Ian Chen and the one who played Darla who are more of a concern.

39 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Speaking of records that seem almost certain to get demolished...

1 May 1–3, 2015 Avengers: Age of Ultron $191,271,109 84.5% $226,429,482
2 Apr. 27–29, 2018 Avengers: Infinity War $257,698,183 84.4% $305,421,502
3 May 4–6, 2007 Spider-Man 3 $151,116,516 83.3% $181,322,887
4 May 4–6, 2012 Marvel's The Avengers $207,438,708 83.1% $249,722,108

Actually hadn't noticed before that the new top 5 will be 5/5 Marvel and 4/5 Avengers, all from fundamentally the same calendar slot. Pretty funny.

I have a theory regarding the major difference in audience appeal for Shazam domestically and overseas. A difference that led Shazam to get a good A cinemascore in the US but terrible reaction from audiences in many countries. 

The director of Shazam said that he made Shazam from inspiration from classic American 80s hits like the Goonies, Ghostbusters as well as you can find thraces from Donner's Superman in Shazam. All of these movies where very well liked in the US and nostalgia from those movies are big in the US. That means that for many Americans watching Shazam there is major nostalgic reasons for them to connect with the story, music and characters in Shazam.

For overseas audiences who never saw those old movies the major reasons for why Shazam was liked by American audiences suddenly disappear. They don't get any nostalgic pleasures while watching Shazam at all. For them Shazam is only an action less superhero movie with not much going for it compared to all the other superhero movies they have seen the last 10 years.

1 hour ago, ElsaRoc said:

The "Endgame is deffo getting the OW record" talk reminds me of the run up to CACW, which everyone had pegged as opening at least to 220m, if not in contention with TFA. In the summer game a ton of people boosted their predictions.

At the level of a hyper big opening, there are so few data points and probably a lot more noise than we realize that it's pretty ludicrous to call things definite.

I understand the reservations, but a lot more tickets are bought online now than for those movies, and the extent to which AEG is demolishing IW's presales with only 12 months difference is pretty imposing.       

Absolutely things could still go wrong and it could end up with a dissapointing 240M debut or something ;) 

So, not everyone is as interested in the specialty box office as I am, but I have to say that many of the films debuting in platform release have me intrigued to see how they do.

There's High Life, a sci-fi thriller with Robert Pattinson. A24 can work wonders with their bigger films so I'm really excited to see how it does.

Amazon is releasing Peterloo. The film was supposed to be an Oscar player for last year, but it got pushed to this weekend--this decision might have proved fruitful with the three nominations they were able to get for Cold War--but the film is still supposed to be pretty good.

Good Deed Entertainment (who I'll always be rooting for after they handled Loving Vincent and At Journey's End) has a kid-friendly movie called Storm Boy about a young boy and an egret who form a bond. It feels like the kind of movie that would've had a wide release ten or fifteen years ago... so I'm rooting for it!

Lastly, there's Amazing Grace, an Aretha Franklin documentary from the distributor of Apollo 11. Neon has proven itself to be a force to be reckoned with in the documentary game. We'll see if that continues here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Captain Marvel making a billion ww, which as a whole was so-so as a film, kind of makes me think EG will have a massive opening weekend, near/above IW.  shows in my area are sold out, and this theater rarely sells out during 2:30 showings on a Sunday, I live in a rural sort of area.