baumer

New Weekend Thread..Shazam 6.3 Little 5.3 Hell 4.9...NO FLAME WARS PLEASE!

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I highly doubt Game of Thrones is affecting anything since it's already airing at a time when movies are dying down anyway (Sunday night = Friday afternoons and every other day of the work week).

Friday afternoon are much much better. 

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

A look at highest grossing cbm, and Fantastic Four (2005) had a good box office. $100m reported budget.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $154,696,080    46.8%
Foreign:  $175,883,639    53.2%

Worldwide:  $330,579,719  

Domestic Summary
Opening Weekend:  $56,061,504

Sequel opened around same and lead to smaller dom and OS both. And reboot completely shat the bed.

What do you guys expect out of MCU F4? Ant man numbers or strange numbers?

Edited by Premium George

Mid-august would have been a good date for Shazam (and many other movies really).

16th Aug - releasing in 3rd weekend of Hobbs with IT2 (R-rated) coming in Shazam's 3rd weekend. Joker is in October.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Premium George said:

A look at highest grossing cbm, and Fantastic Four (2005) had a good box office. $100m reported budget.

Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic Summary

Sequel opened around same and lead to smaller dom and OS both. And reboot completely shat the bed.

depends on cast, director, tone, style... I would say Ant-man is the floor, I hope for billion

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, a2k said:

Mid-august would have been a good date for Shazam (and many other movies really).

16th Aug - releasing in 3rd weekend of Hobbs with IT2 (R-rated) coming in Shazam's 3rd weekend. Joker is in October.

Angry Birds would directly compete for the male 7-14 market...so, the date is no better, and worse b/c while Dumbo was also a competitor, it ended up not taking practically anything from that age group (unlike what AB would do)...and with that date, there would be just as little "school off" days, since 75% of the country goes back by Aug 26 (so you get one great week of school off, and one subpar week through Labor Day...just like this set)...and it's 2 weeks post-New Mutants...

I mean, I get wanting a "grass is greener somewhere else" for a good movie, but not for 2019, it wasn't...

Shazam would make what it would make anywhere on the schedule for this year...to get a bump, it would have had to slip to 2020, and the studio didn't want that...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Premium George said:

Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic Summary

Shazam is behaving remarkably like this movie. 

Similar budget

Similar opening weekend

Similar expected Dom gross

Similar expected OS-Ch gross

The only difference being that F4 made 2 mil in China and Shazam is gonna make 45. 

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

For the person who asked what we should see for Monday drops...here's last year's pre-Easter chart...

Mondays should be in the 60-70% drop range, Tuesdays should play pretty normally for jumps, Wednesdays should have slightly smaller drops from Tuesday, and Thursdays should see a small bump up from Wednesday...

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2018-03-26&p=.htm

And week-over-week drops should be smaller than normal...you can pick your favorite super and family movie from the chart and see how it did...

When I look at the movies from last year i'm not sure Easter weekend is a positive impact at all. It looks like it is more just money moving around days a little bit.

Thursday is bigger than a typical Thursday but Friday and Saturday have more muted increases leading to a muted Sunday drop. If you look at the weekend to weekend numbers it is basically based on how well the film was received. PCR dropped 67% from the previous weekend. BP 33%. 

Also, I find it interesting that someone has 2 weeks off around Easter. All the school systems around us had Spring Break the first week in April so none of them have any days off this week or next.

on this weekend, solid hold for Shazam, not great, not terrible, but solid. Unfortunately it basically has 10 days to make money. Good hold for CM. I'm curious to see if it gets any sort of A:E bump the next 2 weeks. Brutal for Hellboy and ML. 

it would have been interesting to see how Shazam would have performed if it was released more in the Ant-Man window. it sort of feels like it gets washed out being released halfway in-between CM and A:E.

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Angry Birds would directly compete for the male 7-14 market...so, the date is no better, and worse b/c while Dumbo was also a competitor, it ended up not taking practically anything from that age group (unlike what AB would do)...and with that date, there would be just as little "school off" days, since 75% of the country goes back by Aug 26 (so you get one great week of school off, and one subpar week through Labor Day...just like this set)...and it's 2 weeks post-New Mutants...

I mean, I get wanting a "grass is greener somewhere else" for a good movie, but not for 2019, it wasn't...

Shazam would make what it would make anywhere on the schedule for this year...to get a bump, it would have had to slip to 2020, and the studio didn't want that...

Between CM and AEG has to be the crappiest imo even if no other date is great shakes. August to a week or two after Labour day weekend has been good for many movies and we have often complained how empty calendar looks at that point. Schools may reopen but the vacation mindset doesn't go away immediately.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Similar budget

Similar opening weekend

The only difference being that F4 made 2 mil in China and Shazam is gonna make 45. 

hopefully it too gets a sequel but one that behaves differently :)

10 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Similar budget

Similar opening weekend

That and the home media market was booming in 2005

3 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Similar budget

Similar opening weekend

There is so much discussion that can take place for this. Different critical reception, different time all together for cbm movies, impact of reviews. Did more than first captain america, with inflation, more than thor too. So, are F4 bigger than what box office shows? A avenger connection, and maybe they can blow up too.

But that's a can of worms, I don't want to open in this thread. 

37 minutes ago, a2k said:

25.14 (-53%) =>24.5 (-54%)

Would have been a good drop had it opened 65-70. But expected it to be more backloaded. This is not much different than CM's 56% drop after 153 ow with Shazam apparently being much better received. 😓

Better received by critics

I bet the general populace liked Venom and Aquaman more

1 minute ago, Premium George said:

There is so much discussion that can take place for this. Different critical reception, different time all together for cbm movies, impact of reviews. Did more than first captain america, with inflation, more than thor too. So, are F4 bigger than what box office shows? A avenger connection, and maybe they can blow up too.

But that's a can of worms, I don't want to open in this thread. 

Yeah, F4 was a much more popular property. It was the 6th biggest ow that year,

Row Rank Movie Title (click to view) Studio
Total Gross / Theaters Opening / Theaters Open Close
1 1 Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith Fox $380,270,577 3,663 $108,435,841 3,661 5/19 10/20
2 3 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire WB $290,013,036 3,858 $102,685,961 3,858 11/18 4/6
3 2 The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe BV $291,710,957 3,853 $65,556,312 3,616 12/9 5/11
4 4 War of the Worlds Par. $234,280,354 3,910 $64,878,725 3,908 6/29 11/22
5 7 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory WB $206,459,076 3,790 $56,178,450 3,770 7/15 12/8
6 13 Fantastic Four (2005) Fox $154,696,080 3,619 $56,061,504 3,602 7/8 12/29

Shazam was WB taking a lite SH and hoping it gets an upgrade. Probably fills the void Superman is leaving.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

That and the home media market was booming in 2005

It's crazy to look at the falloff in home media market. Home video sales for The First Avenger are big $153 million.

Edited by cdsacken