Eric Prime

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

28 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Audiences seem to be loving it though 

Still, it has burned through tons of demand already. I am not saying it will implode from here, but we should wait and see. 

This is getting ridiculous!!  I don't know what Sunday's actual number will be, but it's having a monster day at my local theater.

Here's the breakdown of the remaining shows for the day:

Sun              
2D 12:45 100 100   100.00% **SOLD OUT
  1:20 152 152   100.00% **SOLD OUT
  1:50 209 209   100.00% **SOLD OUT
  2:10 100 100   100.00% **SOLD OUT
  2:30 100 100   100.00% **SOLD OUT
  2:50 209 209   100.00% **SOLD OUT
  3:20 154 159   96.86%    
  3:55 154 154   100.00% **SOLD OUT
  4:10 154 154   100.00% **SOLD OUT
  4:30 95 98   96.94%    
  5:10 152 152   100.00% **SOLD OUT
  5:40 209 209   100.00% **SOLD OUT
  6:05 100 100   100.00% **SOLD OUT
  6:20 98 98   100.00% **SOLD OUT
  6:40 205 209   98.09%    
  7:10 144 155   92.90%    
  7:45 128 154   83.12%    
  8:00 129 152   84.87%    
  8:20 70 98   71.43%    
  9:00 31 152   20.39%    
  9:30 16 209   7.66%    
  9:55 7 85   8.24%    

3D 1:00 89 100   89.00%    
  3:40 57 60   95.00%    
  4:50 77 85   90.59%    
  7:30 49 60   81.67%    
  8:40 10 100   10.00%    
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 3

So with lesser runtime like around 2 hour, $400+ Weekend too is possible.

Btw, just hope for Infinity War legs now onwards. Avatar is our target.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, AJG said:

Actually they're not approaching monopoly status at all.

Viacoms Paramount, NBCUniversal, WarnerMedia, and Sony all have resources that matches or exceeds Disney's. They all have the tools available to produce the amount of content that Disney produces (WB and NBCUniversal make way more content than Disney). Audiences also have the choice between watching Disney backed movies or films from their competitors.

There isn't any kind of monopoly here. For a monopoly Disney would have to literally restrict access to filmmaking tools (similar to how Music labels bought wax processing factories to make it harder for people that weren't signed to them to release vinyl records). 

The number of competitors in the market does not define monopolization in the US. It's market share that defines it and the chief government regulating body in the US - the Federal Trade Commission - typically uses a market share threshold of around 50% (though sometimes higher) - to define a monopoly. Before this weekend, Buena Vista (Disney) already led the US market with just over a 20% market share for the year. That number is going to significantly increase after this weekend before ebbing and flowing all summer. Still, BV ending the summer north of 30%-35% is plausible. Yes, that's not a monopoly; but it is approaching one as I said in my original post.

The effects of the growing BV market share will be demands from theaters to pay them a higher % during the first few weeks of a film's run and longer runs at those theaters. This will slowly crowd out other films, thus increasing BV's share even more. So this may be great if you like the types of films BV releases now (regardless of what it does in the future). However, it's not a healthy indicator for the market as a whole.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

Nobody is forced, let alone to use social media platforms and the latest technology. You have no point here.

Yes they are, when they want to communicate with an audience. That there is no way to speak out against corporate culture and be heard without being a participant in it is the problem with the corporate culture, not of those speaking out. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 2

Just now, GirafficPark said:

Fans, as in people who have seen a number of the other movies and want to see this one? Yes, who else?

A fan is someone who's seen every movie. What you are describing is just a casual movie goer. As I said the average person does not have enough time to watch GOT and EG. People have jobs, families, responsibilities. It's not hard to grasp.

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

congrats on that gotcha logic that would really rock someone's world in a kindergarten. just because we all are forced to live by the rules of capitalism doesn't make it hypocritical to criticize it. 

You're not forced to get an iPhone.

You can't bitch about supporting Disney over "poor other little studios" (lol) while there are many phone options (cheaper and some might say better) but you just want the Apple one. I think that's the whole point (I dont even know/care if the tweet was sent on an iPhone so I might be wrong)

Marvel fans and general audience members are basically the same now. Most people have seen at least a handful of these movies. Infinity War and several other films are also on Netflix still so a lot of other people could catch up. Very smart of Disney to maintain the Netflix deal even though they knew it would limit their library at Disney+ Plus launch time. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, baumer said:

no I realize the number but I'm saying why not just project a 15% drop just like Infinity Wars had.

Because if it don't, that's sorta embarassing and negative.

Now headlines will be, hey we didn't saw that coming. It overperformed the estimate.

• Like 2

Just now, wildphantom said:

Yep, Lion King ... look terrible 🙄

That it does. Also Aladdin.

Both will make mad money though. And Star Wars is from the same screenwriter as Batman v Superman, so I'm not expecting great things. And Toy Story 4 just looks like the same movie as Toy Story 3.

3 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

The number of competitors in the market does not define monopolization in the US. It's market share that defines it and the chief government regulating body in the US - the Federal Trade Commission - typically uses a market share threshold of around 50% (though sometimes higher) - to define a monopoly. Before this weekend, Buena Vista (Disney) already led the US market with just over a 20% market share for the year. That number is going to significantly increase after this weekend before ebbing and flowing all summer. Still, BV ending the summer north of 30%-35% is plausible. Yes, that's not a monopoly; but it is approaching one as I said in my original post.

The effects of the growing BV market share will be demands from theaters to pay them a higher % during the first few weeks of a film's run and longer runs at those theaters. This will slowly crowd out other films, thus increasing BV's share even more. So this may be great if you like the types of films BV releases now (regardless of what it does in the future). However, it's not a healthy indicator for the market as a whole.

The consumers set the market. Blame them then for buying into what Disney is selling and not buying what other studios are selling.

• Like 2