Eric Duncan

Avengers: Endgame Tuesday Thread (4/30): 33.11M (3rd best Tuesday ever, 2nd best non-opening)

Just now, Barnack said:

Well the other scenario is having never any discussions, what else can be talked about ?

keeping on repeating Global inflation (and domestic inflation, something no one ever considers when adjusting for foreign exchange rate), and market expansion does get tired, but I can't help it, each time I see someone tries to adjust Avatar (legitimately a top 3 greatest worldwide run ever) for foreign exchange rate without adjusting for inflation and market expansion, I just feeling like chiming in. 

1 minute ago, SteveJaros said:

BTW, are these $37m and $35m grosses Monday and Tuesday good numbers or do they represent "falling off a cliff" relative to the opening weekend? 

They are terrible numbers. They didnt even set daily records. Endgame is probably looking at a sub 500M DOM total.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, SteveJaros said:

BTW, are these $37m and $35m grosses Monday and Tuesday good numbers or do they represent "falling off a cliff" relative to the opening weekend? 

37 and 33. But the numbers are good, yes, slightly better overall drops than IW.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Awful. Theaters are actually gonna get rid of End Game in preparation for the real event movie of the year :ph34r:

• Like 2

Just now, Brainbug said:

They are terrible numbers. They didnt even set daily records. Endgame is probably looking at a sub 500M DOM total.

Funny enough which were probably some members predictions (and to a degree understandably so) before Infinity War came out 

Looks like 37 and 33. Good numbers. The Mon+Tues % of OW is similar but a bit better than TA and IW

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NCsoft said:

keeping on repeating Global inflation (and domestic inflation, something no one ever considers when adjusting for foreign exchange rate), and market expansion does get tired, but I can't help it, each time I see someone tries to adjust Avatar (legitimately a top 3 greatest worldwide run ever) for foreign exchange rate without adjusting for inflation and market expansion, I just feeling like chiming in. 

I think we should just accept the fact that both Avatar and EG are phenomenons without constantly trying to adjust to make EG "win". I want EG to beat Avatar worldwide but that doesn't take away from what that movie was able to do in 2009.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Every time you saY stuff like THAT

I imagine you being your avatar lol 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

The Monday number was a great hold, better than Infinity War or the Avengers.  The Tuesday number would be a bigger drop than either movie.  These aren't super predictive though, because IW had better Monday and Tuesday holds than TA did.

• Like 2

-(3)The Curse of La LloronaWarner Bros.$970,000+46%3,372$288  $43,462,57912

-(5)Shazam!Warner Bros.                            $560,000+71%3,631$154  $132,100,32226

Est from the numbers. CM good chance for 1M+

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Well the other scenario is having never any discussions, what else can be talked about ?

11 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I meant Avatar specifically as i think its a special situation with that film for reasons i think have been discussed to death :lol:

1. what Brainbug said

2. why do it in the dailies? There has to be an area for people not wanting to see the xxxxxxxx-time the same discussion (Avatar).

Its like cancer, it spreads into every high earning movie's thread, into dailies, into country's thread, into where-ever someone starts to shoehorn it into.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

FWIW, Avenger's opening DOM weekend gross of $357m is equal inflation-wise to an $80m opening in 1977 (Star Wars) and a $220m opening weekend in 1997 (Titanic).

I had to double check, but holy heck, it is.  (It's actually even a bit more).  That's very cool.  #ItsASign 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I always find it extremely hard to "adjust" Avatars run. There are so many factors - 3D, Inflation, Exchange rates, market growth - that i think we should really only use the actual 2,78B number and work with that without trying to adjust anything.

Yes, 3D is a factor, but I don't really think adjusting for it is necessary. I always thought if audiences are willing to pay 3D surcharges to see a movie in a premium format, then the movie fully deserves the higher box office if gets. Secondly, I think 3D subcharge might have an effect in deflating tickets sold, for example, if I was going to have a second viewing  of Gravity in theater under normal circumstances, because I liked it so much, expensive 3D ticket might prevent me from doing so. 

16 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

tumblr_inline_ppedo6ux6o1r98lni_1280.gif

• Haha 11

12 minutes ago, Menor said:

I think we should just accept the fact that both Avatar and EG are phenomenons without constantly trying to adjust to make EG "win". I want EG to beat Avatar worldwide but that doesn't take away from what that movie was able to do in 2009.

i see this discussion about Avatar or EG, but i think Titanic WW adjusted today will be 3,5 billion, so the real champ is this one