Eric Loves Rey

Avengers: Endgame Tuesday Thread (4/30): 33.11M (3rd best Tuesday ever, 2nd best non-opening)

Just now, HeadShot said:

No one would have paid to see that over-priced hallmark movie in 2019. Cameroon was lucky that he released it back when he did. In the age of Netflix and streaming there is plenty of sappy soccer mom content for people to stay at home. 

Over-priced hallmark movie + a fad found dead in the ditch, I'm seeing a pattern here 🤔

2 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I miss continuity to this poster/post, more so because record is shattered by 100mn difference.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSm8dKBZQv6cng8tnjzMH

No need to worry Sonic is releasing in November.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

Once you go as far as Titanic, you really can't compare movies, even adjusting for inflation.  The market is just too different now, there's more competition with streaming, the internet, etc, so I doubt an equivalently impactful movie would be as rewatched as much as Titanic was.  Its like comparing Gone With The Wind or Jaw's inflation adjusted grosses with modern movies... it just doesn't work.  Too many variables we can't calculate.

Edited by IceFire9yt
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

No one would have paid to see that over-priced hallmark movie in 2019. Cameroon was lucky that he released it back when he did. In the age of Netflix and streaming there is plenty of sappy soccer mom content for people to stay at home. 

Take it to the fanboy wars thread

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Is this the first time a sequel has taken the OW Record from its predecessor?

Batman Returns did it before.

And Jaws 2. (Star Wars held Weekend record but not opening).

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Returns from Batman. The first JP came in-between Returns and Forever.

I caught that and fixed it already. But I should have looked at BOM before I first wrote the reply instead of after.

Edited by TServo2049

12 minutes ago, IceFire9yt said:

Once you go as far as Titanic, you really can't compare movies, even adjusting for inflation.  The market is just too different now, there's more competition with streaming, the internet, etc, so I doubt an equivalently impactful movie would be as rewatched as much as Titanic was.  Its like comparing Gone With The Wind or Jaw's inflation adjusted grosses with modern movies... it just doesn't work.  Too many variables we can't calculate.

You can’t even compare Titanic by “adjusting for inflation” lol.

See my earlier post

7 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

BTW. Look forward to break non-Avengers Saturday record in 2nd weekend. Need just $69.6mn. I am expecting $72mn.

Just $69.6M. Only one year ago when that was considered Saturday cap lmao.

Edited by Sam
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

This no longer really applies to today. Once endgame takes over Avatar (if it does), and if not then Avatar 2, the global box office champion will be a sequel, and I am willing to bet we will never see an original film taking over that position for the rest of the century. 

The great thing about cinema is anything could be created anytime. I agree the economics of today make it significantly more challenging, but the other thing most of the movies on that list had in common is they offered something unique at the time and people got swept up in it. 

Not seeing something on the horizon is different than saying it won't happen. Creativity can always happen.