Eric Loves Rey

Avengers: Endgame Tuesday Thread (4/30): 33.11M (3rd best Tuesday ever, 2nd best non-opening)

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

850 million is assured. 

When it makes to that mark, that puts  Endgame in slim company of only 12 films to sell 100m tickets in the domestic market. That is according to the BOM adjuster so it's not entirely accurate.

I’d also be careful trying to adjust any WW gross by exchange rates and inflation because not only do those ignore many additional factors, you get a compounding effect because of how many markets you’re looking at.

For example, look at the US market solely, and something like Gone with the Wind.  If you adjust it based solely on ticket prices, obviously the highest grossing DOM movie of all time.  But that then ignoring the fact that the theatrical market in the US was much different in the 30s and now.  Ticket Prices don’t scale with the actual inflation rate, and have a lot to do with changing theatrical cost structures and changing market demand in the country.  Then you have to consider that the US population size was much different when GOTW was released compared to now, and that population had different income levels which are additional effects on price not subject to the consumers preference to the movie.  GOTW was not released in a theatrical market condition comparable to anything released today, and itd be kind of silly to definitively say it was any more or less popular of a movie in the US than say Force Awakens or Endgame.

Now with that being said, comparing movies by adjusting to ticket price inflation within a single market is a decent measure to look at attendance differences, while ignoring the many other market factors.

But then consider when you’re comparing between countries, each country will have its own inflation rate, which will differ from their own ticket price changes.  In many countries, even getting accurate data for their inflation rate is flawed, let alone data on ticket prices.  Then you have to take the extra time to consider exchange rates will also be unique to each country.  And further, you’ll have to consider that depending on the country, they may not have been as developed in 2009 as in 2019, which will greatly effect grosses and attendance.

So in short, trying to adjust WW grosses is really flawed and probably shouldn’t be done because it’s highly doubtful you get an even close to accurate number.  It’s probably best to just acknowledge what Avatar did was impressive and what Endgame is doing (no matter where it ends up at this point) is also impressive.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

All is more interesting in the DAILIES than a repeat in the wrong place (Avatar are explixcit said to take it to the fanboy wars per mods...)

• Like 1

What happened to Endgame is very similar to what happened in India.

There was a movie called Bahubali which was a huge hit but it left with a huge shocking ending that really left audiences shocked.

So when the sequel released a year or so latter, it smashed every record possible. 

@Charlie Jatinder

• Like 2

1 minute ago, setna said:

i see this discussion about Avatar or EG, but i think Titanic WW adjusted today will be 3,5 billion, so the real champ is this one

Probably close if you adjust for ticket inflation only, but once market expansion is considered, Titanic would be far more than that. I don't think anyone should try to adjust for Titanic globally though, too many factors. You could argue 2009 is not that different 2019, but 1997 is a different story. 

• Like 2

It is so irony that the all time box office chart are filled with all kin of sequels, prequels or spin off yet the number 1 of all time has always been original film, 

1975 - JAW

1977- Star Wars

1982 - ET

1993- Jurassic PARK

1997- Titanic

2009- avatar   

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

What happened to Endgame is very similar to what happened in India.

There was a movie called Bahubali which was a huge hit but it left with a huge shocking ending that really left audiences shocked.

So when the sequel released a year or so latter, it smashed every record possible. 

@Charlie Jatinder

On 4/25/2019 at 12:04 PM, Charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah this scene was brilliant. Coincidentally Baahubali 2 banked on emotional quotient after Baahubali 1 climax did created platform for film.

Similarly A:EG is said to be having huge emotional quotient and that's mvp of film.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, setna said:

i see this discussion about Avatar or EG, but i think Titanic WW adjusted today will be 3,5 billion, so the real champ is this one

Higher. Perhaps.

Inflation and exchange rate adj Titanic (excl 3D) would be $51mn in India compared to $12mn originally. Including 3D would be around $58mn approx compared to $17mn.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 4

Just now, titanic2187 said:

It is so irony that the all time box office chart are filled with all kin of sequels, prequels or spin off yet the number 1 of all time has always been original film, 

1975 - JAW

1977- Star Wars

1982 - ET

1993- Jurassic PARK

1997- Titanic

2009- avatar   

Well you don't need any investment to watch an original movie, while a sequel requires at least a basic knowledge of the previous movies which can limit the audience.

5 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

So in short, trying to adjust WW grosses is really flawed and probably shouldn’t be done because it’s highly doubtful you get an even close to accurate number.  It’s probably best to just acknowledge what Avatar did was impressive and what Endgame is doing (no matter where it ends up at this point) is also impressive.

This is absolutely true, however, I think human nature makes it difficult to and concede that. Yes, both are "impressive", but there's always going to be a discussion on what is more impressive, and box office discussions outside of tracking basically always revolve around that, which inevitably will involve all kinds of mental exercises because people have inherent biases and belong to different fan factions.

1 hour ago, baumer said:

But 936 isn't.

Call me crazy but to me, $950M is pretty much gauranteed at this stage.

Why ?

Because a movie like Avengers, that opened with $150M less, managed to add an additional $123M after hitting $500M on day 23.

I am pretty convinced that Endagme will need even less days for to hit $850M and then add even less than Avengers did to reach $950M.

• Like 1

Just now, nevermore said:

Well you don't need any investment to watch an original movie, while a sequel requires at least a basic knowledge of the previous movies which can limit the audience.

This no longer really applies to today. Once endgame takes over Avatar (if it does), and if not then Avatar 2, the global box office champion will be a sequel, and I am willing to bet we will never see an original film taking over that position for the rest of the century. 

1 minute ago, NCsoft said:

This no longer really applies to today. Once endgame takes over Avatar (if it does), and if not then Avatar 2, the global box office champion will be a sequel, and I am willing to bet we will never see an original film taking over that position for the rest of the century. 

And lets end the Avatar discussions with that before it gets heated here in this thread. This is not directed at you personally but from my experience statements like the bold ones trigger reactions and i dont need that today :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

1975 - JAW

1977- Star Wars

1982 - ET

1993- Jurassic PARK

1997- Titanic

2009- avatar   

EG is definitely a trend breaker in that regard, but I think it just shows the change in the industry towards more IP/franchise driven film-making.  Ultimately, EG is a culmination of something never really achieved before in cinema (though there are similarities shared with HP), which is driving interest in the movie beyond the core audience from these films and sending it into the heights of the very biggest films of all time.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Yes, 3D is a factor, but I don't really think adjusting for it is necessary. I always thought if audiences are willing to pay 3D surcharges to see a movie in a premium format, then the movie fully deserves the higher box office if gets.

I think the point was that it was the first movie in 3D and that's why it had so phenomenal legs.

If Avatar would have been released only 3-4 years later, it would have done much less.

22 minutes ago, setna said:

No one would have paid to see that over-priced hallmark movie in 2019. Cameroon was lucky that he released it back when he did. In the age of Netflix and streaming there is plenty of sappy soccer mom content for people to stay at home. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

And lets end the Avatar discussions with that before it gets heated here in this thread. This is not directed at you personally but from my experience statements like the bold ones trigger reactions and i dont need that today :D

That's why I used Gravity as an example earlier, I even actively try to avoid mentioning Avatar. :hahaha: