sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

20 minutes ago, UserHN said:

They need many contents to put on their streaming service Disney+. Next year their mega biggie is Avatar 2. Some not-so-big ones are 2 MCU movies (possibly Eternals and Black Widow), Jungle Cruise, Mulan, and Pixar's Onward. Damn next year looks like Disney will be on drought of big blockbusters.

Mulan is gonna flop. So many changes that are bad but it'll do great in China, that's what Disney hopes. Screw the rest of the world.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Majority of audience don't go see a 3 hour movie multiple times. Once is enough and they rushed cause of the fear of being spoiled.

The Russo's are even using some great marketing telling everyone that starting Monday it's safe to talk about spoilers for Endgame.

I think that’s more to do with a potential Spider-Man final trailer that will refer to Endgame events. Maybe? 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

They could probably make Black Widow April/May, Eternals Summer, Shang-Chi November if they want to fast track it. We’ll find out soon enough.

Eternals starts shooting in the fall... can't see such a quick turnaround.

8 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Mulan is gonna flop. So many changes that are bad but it'll do great in China, that's what Disney hopes. Screw the rest of the world.

Yeah, just China alone probably won't save that film, plus Liu YiFei does not even have a good box office record in China. Mulan might not be a big deal, but it's box office potential range is wide, so it'll be interesting to follow.

Edited by NCsoft

DH2 had the 3D price bump over DH1 and it increased 29%. Mind-boggling that AEG is set to match that increase from AIW without a similar advantage.

• Like 2

I know Endgame is long (and it definitely felt long the first time I saw it), but I also feel like it's the kind of movie that big fans would want to go back and see multiple times again to fully absorb everything the film throws at them.

Also, this is totally anecdotal and my area severely under-booked this movie (9 shows on three screens at regular theaters, plus 2 shows at a nighttime-only pub cinema with under 100 seats), but everything for today was sold out before noon in my area. That's something that usually happens only if a film is headed for a massive day.

• Like 2

Does anyone else feel like the general internet opinion is moving more towards of a point of something is either “Perfect and I’ll be angry if you critique it” or “The worst thing ever and there’s nothing positive to be said!”?

I’d say 99.5% of things (at minimum) fall well in between those extremes.  For franchises in particular it seems each movie/episode is either “The best ever!” or “Completely ruins the whole thing!”.  Yet, it seems rarely are either of those even close to the truth.

It also makes trying to have a decent conversation about anything insufferable. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Does anyone else feel like the general internet opinion is moving more towards of a point of something is either “Perfect and I’ll be angry if you critique it” or “The worst thing ever and there’s nothing positive to be said!”?

I’d say 99.5% of things (at minimum) fall well in between those extremes.  For franchises in particular it seems each movie/episode is either “The best ever!” or “Completely ruins the whole thing!”.  Yet, it seems rarely are either of those even close to the truth.

People are turning into siths and are dealing in absolutes

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Just now, JimiQ said:

I’m sure I’ve fallen into the trap a few times.  But there’s so much more contentment to be had when you can rest easy with the fact that it’s okay if one of your favorite things has flaws, and it’s okay if something you didn’t like might actually have a lot of merits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

I noticed that years ago, but it has become insufferable at least since Last Jedis' release. It seems that there cant be a middle ground anymore, a movie (especially a heavily anticipated one) is either a 0/10 or a 10/10. Which often destroys many discussions about movies on the internet.

Of course, this is not a generalization. There can be and are still tons of people who are willing to accept other's opinions and are open to meaningfull debates. But imo its getting worse overall with the years.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

I’m sure I’ve fallen into the trap a few times.  But there’s so much more contentment to be had when you can rest easy with the fact that it’s okay if one of your favorite things has flaws, and it’s okay if something you didn’t like might actually have a lot of merits.

I actually wanted to see endgame for the third time but instead I watched Winter soldier at home because as much as I liked EG I can’t justify the third watching.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

I see it a lot. But this year alone I feel CM proved that there’s a middle ground. Most responses were something like, it was decent, i liked it, not bad, good adition to the MCU, it was a middle of the road MCU movie etc etc.

• Like 2

Definitely seeing a sizable increase coming and lessen the free fall this film has experienced the last couple days. Sellouts appear strong in my area. 

I’ll be content with 60m today. 65m+ would be fantastic.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, blackspider said:

Definitely seeing a sizable increase coming and lessen the free fall this film has experienced the last couple days. Sellouts appear strong in my area. 

I’ll be content with 60m today. 65m+ would be fantastic.

agreed howerever for that ow endgame has done very very good

5 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

You jest, but I think younger generations are struggling to see nuance and gray (which always tends to be the case throughout history, but it just seems like it's harder for them than ever before), and with the lack of gray, everything in their lives does get categorized into 2 set camps (good/bad, yes/no, etc)...with nothing that can straddle the 2... 

Which is a rough way to see the world, b/c no one and nothing here is perfect, so the odds that most of the world falls into the "less" category for someone is probably very, very high...or they have to almost lie to themselves that A is totally bad, but B is totally good, when A & B have 95% of the same qualities/thoughts/etc...neither of those 2 thought process options is great...

4 minutes ago, Sindreee said:

I see it a lot. But this year alone I feel CM proved that there’s a middle ground. Most responses were something like, it was decent, i liked it, not bad, good adition to the MCU, it was a middle of the road MCU movie etc etc.

I’m not saying there can’t be middle ground on a lot of stuff.  But even with CM, there were a lot of people completely trashing it.

A good example is the recent GoT episode.  It was highly anticipated and it seems to either be getting trashed or loved in reactions to it.  Yet, it’s quite evidently an episode with some noticeable flaws (maybe unavoidable), but also incredibly brilliant moments and atmosphere.  In most of the discussions, a lot of posters seem to have a hard time acknowledging the episode contains both.  Maybe because they don’t want to feel as if their opinion is invalidated?

There’s a lot of “polarizing” media I’d love to have an actual conversation about without devolving into a madhouse of people shouting “best ever!” Or “ruins the franchise!” at each other.

• Like 1