sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

13 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I didn't look locally at Endgame for matinees, but I can say that they are still selling out or virtually selling out every prime time showing and now most of the 10pm or later ones...even being on 3+ screens...

It's the kind of performance that should mean Deadline isn't far off for Endgame...I mean, with 4600 theaters and a $10/ticket average, you only need to sell 391 seats/theater to get $18M...

Did I mention having 4600 theaters in week 3, almost all still running the movie on 2+ screens, is very good for a hold number?:)  (18,000,000/(4600*$10)) = 391ish

When you break it down like that, 391 tickets is not a monumental task at all!
The Dolby/IMAX showings it still has are basically selling out still, and then the other shows are still doing decently. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tawasal said:

She actually said "tru dat" during Will's story and was giving us some background noise for no apparent reason. 

I think she was just nervous. I would be too sitting on that couch with such heavy hitters!

Also, this is the good thing about mainline Disney+Pixar in the 2020s (i.e., not Marvel Studios or Lucasfilm). They’ve essentially run out of stuff to remake or turn into sequels. They have to make originals for the better part of the next decade, at least on the animation side (barring a hypothetical Incredibles 3 or Zootopia 2).

No idea what’s going to happen to the main live-action studio considering these remakes are the only things that made money for them, and Pirates is basically sunk.

You know what would be great for Disney+, though? Remake The Black Cauldron and the rest of the Chronicles of Prydain as a series. Disney essentially has their own more family-friendly Game of Thrones in those books, which they still have the rights to adapt AFAIK.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

Not at all. I still don’t even what I even posted that was spoiler. The plot is so obvious 

It sucks, but is it permanent thread ban or just 24 hours? If it's permanent then don't worry, here is where all the action will be. 

5 hours ago, baumer said:

Pikachu is not going to be an underperformer. It's going to do amazing business for a video game movie. only reason why it will underperform is because some of you guys had outlandish and ridiculous ideas for what it could do.

Endgame doing record breaking numbers has really spoiled people, $55-60m for a family film is very solid. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tawasal said:

It sucks, but is it permanent thread ban or just 24 hours? If it's permanent then don't worry, here is where all the action will be. 

Nah it’s a week. But it’s chill. Thread was too negative as is. Now I have excuse for week not to go in 

13 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

Also, this is the good thing about mainline Disney+Pixar in the 2020s (i.e., not Marvel Studios or Lucasfilm). They’ve essentially run out of stuff to remake or turn into sequels. They have to make originals for the better part of the next decade, at least on the animation side (barring a hypothetical Incredibles 3 or Zootopia 2).

No idea what’s going to happen to the main live-action studio considering these remakes are the only things that made money for them, and Pirates is basically sunk.

You know what would be great for Disney+, though? Remake The Black Cauldron and the rest of the Chronicles of Prydain as a series. Disney essentially has their own more family-friendly Game of Thrones in those books, which they still have the rights to adapt AFAIK.

I think a Hunchback of Notre Dame film for Disney+ which is closer to the book could have potential. The stage production which they originally did in Berlin then reworked for licensing is a lot more mature and it works really well with the original score.

Edited by Jonwo

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think a Hunchback of Notre Dame film for Disney+ which is closer to the book could have potential. The stage production which they originally did in Berlin then reworked for licensing is a lot more mature and it works really well with the original score.

That could work. I was going to say they could set aside part of the revenue to donate to the ongoing restoration of the cathedral, but you said Disney+. (I wouldn’t be surprised if they did it for future runs of the stage version, though.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

It’s absolutely crazy how fast TFA caught up to EG. It made a 110m lead evaporate in a week and a half. And this is from a film that averaged over 29m in weekday business its first week and raked in 147m in it’s 2nd weekend. 

I still held out a slim chance EG could pass TFA but it just hasn’t stabilized after burning off the initial fervor. This isn’t a knock on EG in the slightest, it’s more of a testament of how truly mind blowing TFA’s performance is.

So since TPM, it appears EG will join TFA as the only films to clear 80m admissions in the past 20 years. That is a truly historic achievement in the age of instant gratification, streaming services, online downloads, countless entertainment options, etc.

EG crosses into the “historic event” mold which doesn’t happen often. This is a run for the ages and I’m gonna enjoy the hell out of it regardless where it ends up.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

That could work. I was going to say they could set aside part of the revenue to donate to the ongoing restoration of the cathedral, but you said Disney+. (I wouldn’t be surprised if they did it for future runs of the stage version, though.)

I think Disney wouldn't risk a theatrical release if they did do a live action movie, unless they did a limited theatrical release.

30 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Pikachu  will definitely be somewhat frontloaded. There are crazy Pokémon fanatics that will rush out to see it right way. Like those guys that play Pokémon Go all day 

Pokémon Go players aren’t exactly Pokémon fans. 

If those people were going, we would be seeing record breaking numbers by now.

Pokémon Go has 85 million active players.

Edited by Tentatek

So have to see if detective pikachu plays like family movie

shazam had 20 million but decreased on Saturday 

if it can do like dumbo or how to train you’re dragon. Than number will be fine 

Edited by Minnale101