sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

Just now, Yandereprime101189 said:

Ah yes, Aladdin, BOTs newest whipping boy movie. 

I feel like I'm in IMdb again.

It's not that when reviews are locked down until the day it comes out in some countries. :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

It's not that when reviews are locked down until the day it comes out in some countries. :ph34r:

Lol, I've pretty much accepted the movie will likely have negative reviews.

I mean, ever since the movie was announced, it was fated to get a negative score.

I'm still seeing it either way.

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • Haha 1

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-tracking-spider-man-far-from-home-looks-to-web-200m-6-day-domestic-launch-in-july/

Far From Home: 90-120 3-Day/190-230 6-Day/405+

John Wick: 38.5/110 (+4%)

Aladdin: 67/188 (+2%)

Rocketman: 40 (+8%)/165

Annabelle Comes Home: 31 (-21%)/101 (The drop for Annabelle is because of the movie shifting to Wednesday)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 1

Just now, Yandereprime101189 said:

Lol, I've pretty much accepted the movie will likely have negative reviews.

I mean, ever since the movie was announced, it was fated to get a negative score.

Rather, ever since the director was announced.....

10 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Chapter 3 is likely gonna open in the US higher than the WW opening of Chapter 2.

Even if it opens to $50M , it still needs another $30M OS. Chapter 2 only made $11.4M OS opening in 41 markets. 

Moral of the past week: People need to stop using the word “lock” when predicting box office. It’s our “inconceivable.”

Also, there seems to be a correlation between people saying something is a “lock”, and it not happening, as if the universe’s response is “Oh yeah? I’ll show you!

Edited by TServo2049

6 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Guy Ritchie's King Arthur movie is still one of the worst things ever.

The biggest testament to the power of that movie flopping is Charlie Hunnam becoming a fan of Jordan Peterson. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 2

Just now, filmlover said:

The biggest testament to the power of that movie flopping is Charlie Hunnam becoming a fan of Jordan Peterson. 

I have a joke here but it'd be the kind of thing not allowed in weekend threads. :ph34r:

Aladdin's really weird from my PoV.  It's been running stronger than Pika PIka literally every step of the way, except for one day when I shifted from x days of pre-sales to x days before release (it was stronger on the 'x days of pre-sales' metric, a bit weaker on the 'x days before release' one).  

But gotta tell you, the worst day it had otherwise in comparison was yesterday, the same day it the first social media reactions came in.  It barely beat out Pika Pika at the same point in time.

It is only one day, but little worried that a tepid reaction might stall the flick when it comes to pre-sales.

Could be folks with long memories of the bad buzz out of last year's CinemaCon + the reaction to the first teaser trailer might be getting second thoughts.  Or it could just be random variation.

Very curious how to see it plays out as more reactions come in.  Also curious to see if the phenomenon of women tending to buy pre-sale tickets more than men for some films comes into play or not.

tl;dr edited in:  Aladdin was doing pretty decently all things considered.  Until yesterday.  Now I'm getting a bit more worried. qnqGT0e.png

Edited by Porthos