sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Search “Naomi Scott” or “Graham Norton” on Twitter. Trending in the UK for all the wrong reasons. 

She comes off as extremely annoying. Yikes 

Because she was... excited? 

18 Fri would be a 140% bump for EG. Better than AIW's 3rd Fri bump.

Won't be surprised if updated numbers come in lower, 16-17 while Pika bumps up from 20 to 21-22.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

Don’t see Naomi Scott trending. But Constance Wu is. And being compared to Katherine Heigl. Really hope she doesn’t end up with a similar career trajectory...

explain i don't get it since i don't know katherine heigl that much

9 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

Don’t see Naomi Scott trending. But Constance Wu is. And being compared to Katherine Heigl. Really hope she doesn’t end up with a similar career trajectory...

Does she have any upcoming movies with Gerard Butler or Ashton Kutcher? If so, she's in trouble.

5 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

she criticized Knocked Up. said it was sexist

Edited by Alli

8 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

Heigl was on Grey’s Anatomy and starting a pretty successful movie career. Then she complained about the movie, Knocked Up and didn’t feel she was getting quality material on Grey’s. Left the show and her movies weren’t doing great. Eventually she gained a reputation of being difficult to work with and her offers dried up. It was pretty sad to watch as she’s actually a talented actor. Constance is pretty good too and I like that she’s opinionated, but she’s not even at the level Heigl was (nor does she enjoy the same privilege) so this might turn out even worse for her. 

3 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

Heigl was on Grey’s Anatomy and starting a pretty successful movie career. Then she complained about the movie, Knocked Up and didn’t feel she was getting quality material on Grey’s. Left the show and her movies weren’t doing great. Eventually she gained a reputation of being difficult to work with and her offers dried up. It was pretty sad to watch as she’s actually a talented actor. Constance is pretty good too and I like that she’s opinionated, but she’s not even at the level Heigl was (nor does she enjoy the same privilege) so this might turn out even worse for her. 

Now 10 years on Greys is still running and has been renewed for seasons 16 and 17 whereas Heigl's career is non existent

• Haha 2

To be fair to Katherine Heigl, she didn't say anything about Knocked Up that wasn't entirely accurate. It's not that it was sexist so much as it was a late example of a RomCom in which the female lead didn't actually do or say anything funny and was just the straight woman to complain about the male shenanigans. See also Teri Polo doing the thankless in the Meet the Parents franchise. I suppose you shouldn't bit the hand that feeds you though.

And what happened to her was fairer than the punishment meted out to Isla Fisher for having the gumption to expose the mediocrity of Vince Vaughan and Owen Wilson in what was meant to be their movie by outacting Vaughan into humiliation. 

Naomi Scott is a young actresss finding herself among her heroes and she is a little eccentric. Nothing wrong with a bit of distinct personality. 

Looks like it'll be a close thing between Pikachu and Endgame. Going to see DP tomorrow in the UK but would be really interesting if Endgame could hold this.

1 hour ago, ChipMunky said:

Because she was... excited? 

No it was just all very forced in your face and tonnes of interruptions. Very animated and reacting to every little thing. 

Maybe nerves, looked like cocaine 😂

Whoops I thought I’d posted these to the Aladdin thread, sorry 

Edited by Krissykins

2 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Please God let Aladdin open to 100+ million, I want to see the absolute shock.

If not, I can wait for Lion King to do 250 million.

The sad thing is, no one should be shocked at $100m opening for a live action Aladdin. 

Its Aladdin.

It should be doing Beauty and the Beast numbers, but they hired Madonna’s ex husband to direct it and now it looks like a downer. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, a2k said:

18 Fri would be a 140% bump for EG. Better than AIW's 3rd Fri bump.

Won't be surprised if updated numbers come in lower, 16-17 while Pika bumps up from 20 to 21-22.

no Friday number but variety says 68m for weekend, they said 175m+ last weekend though

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/box-office-avengers-endgame-pikachu-1203211054/

When it comes to the box office, the Avengers’ moves are still super effective.

Avengers: Endgame” is heading for around $68 million in its third weekend in North America, fending off the opening of “Pokémon Detective Pikachu” with about $55 million, early estimates showed Friday.

The opening of revenge comedy “The Hustle,” starring Rebel Wilson and Anne Hathaway, is performing at the top of expectations with about $14 million while the launch of Diane Keaton’s cheerleader comedy “Poms” is headed for the low end of forecasts with about $7 million to $8 million. Fox Searchlight’s “Tolkien” is showing little traction in its launch with about $3 million.

This weekend is shaping up to be a near clone of May 10-12, 2013 when Iron Man 3 (2nd weekend) and The Great Gatsby made $72.5M and $50.1M respectively. Just shave off 3 or 4 million from Endgame and give it to Pikachu.

Edited by JB33

38 minutes ago, tawasal said:

Is she on something? WTF!

It seems like nitpicking to me. She is sitting next to one of the funniest dudes in the world and she is about to have her breakout released. Give her a break.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, LonePirate said:

I find both of those numbers difficult to believe. Is this based on the performance of A Star Is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody? Are moviegoers craving another musical? I would be shocked if the film reaches half of those numbers.

I didn't see either A Star is Born or Bohemian Rhapsody, but there's a decent chance I'll see Rocketman-- not because I'm craving a musical, but because I'm over 50, so I've been listening to Elton John from the time I could understand words up to today.