antovolk

John Wick: Chapter 4 | March 24, 2023 | RIP Lance Reddick

Well, looks like I'm going to have to re-watch the first 3 films this week... for what looks like yet another great instalment (maybe even the best) in the series based on critical reception. Awesome. 😎

Peace,

Mike

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

This might be my favorite of the 4.

For me, i think it will be hard to top Chapter 2, but even though im worried about the runtime, im getting really excited for it.

Definetly seems like John Wick is one of those rare movie series that refuse to produce a stinker.

I do have to say I've admired the series more than I've loved it. The action is obviously spectacular but the longer the series goes on the more I feel it verging on being exhausting. 

I thought they'd be stretching the simple premise when they were making a third film, then I liked Parabellum quite a bit, despite that it didn't really accomplish a lot to bring John Wick's story forward after the cliffhanger at the end of 2. Then I really thought they were stretching it making a fourth so when I heard that it was almost 3 hours long I was sure I was gonna give up.

Obviously the plotting is spinning wheels like a motherfucker to keep things happening ("go here to do this but to do that you first have to do this"), but god damn the action rules lol. Donnie Yen stole the show and by getting fight scenes from more POVs than merely John Wick, the extended runtime never felt exhausting.

The dialogue scenes explaining lore stuff is a bit snoresville, but they do a good job of putting in visual elements to make the visuals more interesting. But come on now, the final hour is an attempt to top everything this film, and the previous entries, have achieved and the result is a textbook example of the intense adrenaline rush other action films can only dream of.

I dunno if they'll choose to go out with the flag on top or if they'll risk it with another movie, but if they decide to stop spinning the wheel here then this would be a really satisfying finale.

• Like 3

I've got time to rewatch 1, maybe 2 of the previous John Wicks before seeing this. Which should I prioritize, and in what order?

Thinking 1 first, then if I have time watch 3, then 2 if there's time. Whichever I don't get to, I'll watch some 5 minute YouTube recap.

5 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

I assume all the carping about Mel Gibson/Donnie Yen was "very online" rather than enough to actually sink the movie.

Lol. It won't impact at all. Just some trolls with a lot of fake accounts spamming hate. Donnie Yen is gonna elevate the film in terms of quality (most reviewers mentioned he was the MVP) and also in terms of box office in Asia (Southeast Asia basically has him front and center of marketing).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DAJK said:

I've got time to rewatch 1, maybe 2 of the previous John Wicks before seeing this. Which should I prioritize, and in what order?

Thinking 1 first, then if I have time watch 3, then 2 if there's time. Whichever I don't get to, I'll watch some 5 minute YouTube recap.

Personally I think 2 is the best. Like Lucas said, all the JW films kinda struggle with petering out somewhere thru the movie. For example, I think John Wick 1 peaks during the club shootout sequence, and then after I REALLY feel like it stretches out to "Gotta go find and kill the dad, oh gotta find and kill the son, oh now I've gotta actually go find and kill the dad". John Wick 3 definitely gets exhausting after the terrific first act. 

I feel like John Wick 2 is the one that does the best job at sustaining the film's momentum throughout. And that mirror maze action setpiece is so fucking cool. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Just came out of the Singapore premiere. This was Amazing; Donnie Yen stole every scene he was in, Keanu is awesome as usual.

Word of Mouth is gonna be freaking strong.

And there is 1 post credit scene.

Good to hear confirmation, as it's out tomorrow in my homeland. Is the stinger at the very end after the credits?

One thing that I'm seeing pretty consistently is that pre-sales are strong THROUGHOUT the weekend, not just on Thursday. In fact, in many cases, Friday is twice as strong as Thursday, and Saturday is even above Thursday. I think legs throughout the weekend will be good.

If this can manage 8M previews, I think 70M is a done deal, and even approaching 80 is possible.

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

One thing that I'm seeing pretty consistently is that pre-sales are strong THROUGHOUT the weekend, not just on Thursday. In fact, in many cases, Friday is twice as strong as Thursday, and Saturday is even above Thursday. I think legs throughout the weekend will be good.

If this can manage 8M previews, I think 70M is a done deal, and even approaching 80 is possible.

I think the long run time will mean a good multiplier from previews.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

Great interview with Chad and gives his insight on his action philosophy. Also, Adkins costume IS a reference to Sammo Hung in SPL Kill Zone...called it!

Thursday cant come soon enough 😩

You gonna love the film if you like SPL.

Super amazing film. Really reminds me of SPL actually. :)

• Thanks 1