antovolk

John Wick: Chapter 4 | March 24, 2023 | RIP Lance Reddick

Terrible "trailer". I wouldn't even call it a trailer. It's a 60-second TV spot that's 30 seconds longer than it needs to be.

Not that it impacts my anticipation or BO expectations. The first trailer was one of the best trailers of 2022, and was the only one needed.

I hope this one isn't getting screened in theaters instead of that first trailer.

34 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Terrible "trailer". I wouldn't even call it a trailer. It's a 60-second TV spot that's 30 seconds longer than it needs to be.

Not that it impacts my anticipation or BO expectations. The first trailer was one of the best trailers of 2022, and was the only one needed.

I hope this one isn't getting screened in theaters instead of that first trailer.

agreed. Similar to Shazam 2. Previous trailer was better.

Might as well not have the Final trailer..

4 hours ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

I would say that the early embargo ending is more indicative of critical consensus than what Viewer Anon has heard, but that 3 hour runtime is a big concern personally.

Yep same here, my partner saw the trailer for it the other day before Cocaine Bear and actually surprised me by saying that she was interested in seeing it (she’s only seen the first JW and wasn’t overly impressed with it), then I told her it was nearly 3 hours long and her interest all but evaporated.

I really hope the story is there to justify the runtime, JW3 began to push the limits of how long I can watch non-stop fight scenes, so if JW4 is more of the same but with an extra hour on top I can absolutely see it being exhausting unfortunately.

Still, I suppose it is encouraging if the people VA is talking about still liked it despite being left exhausted by it. I can’t remember the last time I liked a film that I found exhausting.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

thats a big as red flags get, hope its not true

Not really a red flag, i'm sure VA knows what he's talking but obviously the studio is the one that have the bigger picture of what they have. If they decided to allow reactions nearly 3 weeks before, it's because probably the majority of people who watched, like it enough to make them confident.

• Like 1

Great breakdown / interview released just before JW4. Can't believe this freaking Legend is in the film.

But not sure whether there will be IMAX screening in my country..Liongate's overseas distribution is not exactly strong.

The impression I got from some of the test screening reactions is that it's the best one yet for them. There is nothing to worry about imo, even if critics are not that high on the movie like the public. (VA wrong again).

One of the guys I trust the most rated it 4.5. His previous rankings were:

John Wick I - 4 stars

John Wick II - 3.5

John Wick III - 4

Edited by Lighthouse
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

One of the guys I trust the most rated it 4.5. His previous rankings were:

John Wick I - 4 stars

John Wick II - 3.5

John Wick III - 4

Interesting. I actually thought JW2 was the best one, the perfect middle ground between 1 and 3 with amazing cliffhanger, and JW3 is the worst one (but still pretty good) because of the weakest script where they just come up with all kinds of nonsense to drag the storyline way past its natural progression to make more movies. I have no doubt that action is great as usual, but I hope the story is stronger than in 3, but it's gonna be hard to not make it even worse because they did this very questionable decision to continue making sequels until one flops and John Wick's story is not constructed the way to not have a definitive conclusion, this is not Bond where every movie is a standalone adventure, this is literally one storyline.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 8:30 AM, interiorgatordecorator said:

thats a big as red flags get, hope its not true

Heard similar things with The Batman and it was valid in the first act but not a real deal breaker overall for me atleast since i liked that movie

14 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Not really a red flag, i'm sure VA knows what he's talking but obviously the studio is the one that have the bigger picture of what they have. If they decided to allow reactions nearly 3 weeks before, it's because probably the majority of people who watched, like it enough to make them confident.

This is likely gonna be good but two weeks before release isnt that early to lift the social media emabargo (would be a slightly different if it were for a review embargo). Doesn't mean much other than that the studio doesn't have zero faith in the movie.