sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

Wow, taking a look at last Memorial Day weekend, most films increased every so slightly on Sunday last year, with a few dropping minimally. 

With it's family appeal and good WOM, Aladdin will probably gross the same on Sunday that it does on Saturday. 

If it's Saturday is strong, that's going to make for exceptional numbers. 

Yeah a "live-action" Zootopia would be great, what a novel concept that would be. "WE'RE REMAKING THE COMPLETELY CG ZOOTOPIA... WITH A COMPLETELY CG ZOOTOPIA. BUT THE ANIMALS LOOK MORE REALISTIC NOW, I GUESS."

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cannastop said:

yuck

4 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Yeah a "live-action" Zootopia would be great, what a novel concept that would be. "WE'RE REMAKING THE COMPLETELY CG ZOOTOPIA... WITH A COMPLETELY CG ZOOTOPIA. BUT THE ANIMALS LOOK MORE REALISTIC NOW, I GUESS."

We all know it's gonna happen sooner than later. Might as well prepare for the worst by advising ideas that could diminish the pain. (And yes, musical Zootopia would not be pain.)

TLK is going to open huge. No question. 

But....from what I’ve seen, where is the emotion and the joy and fun going to come from those way too real looking CG animals? 

Aladdin - audiences are responding to relating to the romance and have a connection with characters they can identify with. 

Lion King seems to have taken away the anthropomorphism to such a degree that it borderline looks like a David Attenborough documentary. Nothing I’ve seen so far has me connected with it on any level - save the ridiculous effects. 

The final movie may totally deliver and have me relating to the characters and believing that ‘real’ lion cub is really singing I Just Can’t Wait To Be King, but I’m not convinced.  The jury is still out. 

All animal ‘live action’ vs real live action with human beings - world of difference to my eyes. I’m not feeling Lion King at all at this point. We shall see.  

They might have gone too far this time. I can hear Ian Malcolm doing his ‘they were so preoccupied about whether or not they could’ speech as I watch the trailers. 

9 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

But....from what I’ve seen, where is the emotion and the joy and fun going to come from those way too real looking CG animals? 

Aladdin - audiences are responding to relating to the romance and have a connection with characters they can identify with. 

Lion King seems to have taken away the anthropomorphism to such a degree that it borderline looks like a David Attenborough documentary. Nothing I’ve seen so far has me connected with it on any level - save the ridiculous effects. 

We literally just learned with Aladdin that you can't necessarily judge these live action remakes by their short trailers. 

We've seen very little when it comes to TLK, perhaps we should wait and see before declaring its joyless and emotionless..... 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

The final movie may totally deliver and have me relating to the characters and believing that ‘real’ lion cub is really singing I Just Can’t Wait To Be King, but I’m not convinced.  The jury is still out. 

All animal ‘live action’ vs real live action with human beings - world of difference to my eyes. I’m not feeling Lion King at all at this point. We shall see.  

They might have gone too far this time. I can hear Ian Malcolm doing his ‘they were so preoccupied about whether or not they could’ speech as I watch the trailers. 

I think it will be mixed. Some scenes like the climb will be amazing, Nala and Simba scene will be amazing. I just can't wait to be king and hakuna makata I think will be bad.

Scars song will be legit imo. Rafiki needs a good long song too imo. Easiest one to show emotion on.

Edited by cdsacken

7 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

We literally just learned with Aladdin that you can't necessarily judge these live action remakes by their short trailers. 

We've seen very little when it comes to TLK, perhaps we should wait and see before declaring its joyless and emotionless..... 

I agree. I said that. Just voiced my concerns that the final movie might be emotionally vacant due to being almost too real. 

I hope it’s great, but I haven’t been impressed with what I’ve seen so far - effects aside. 

• Like 1

What it really surprise anyone to see The Lion King gross about 350 in North America and around 600 internationally? Because it wouldn't surprise me at all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, baumer said:

What it really surprise anyone to see The Lion King gross about 350 in North America and around 600 internationally? Because it wouldn't surprise me at all.

I'd be surprised if it opened under Incredibles 2 or B&B - so  I'd be shocked if it went under $350m dom

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

Current BOP forecast is for it to open at 180-200 for its OW, so 350m DOM would def surprise me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Nope, not at all if it’s actually not that good. 

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Nope, not at all if it’s actually not that good. 

I realize that forecasts this far out aren't gospel, but wouldn't 350 DOM require something like a 125m OW?  I'm giving it really poor legs for a film that should play well with families, BTW (2.8x ish).

17 minutes ago, baumer said:

No, thank you for this, wouldn't be suprised in the slightest and 950m would be still a pretty good final gross for basically every movie.

On the other hand neither would I be if this groses like 700m Dom and 1.3b OS for 2b WW.

Edited by Taruseth

1 hour ago, snarkmachine said:

it’s only a matter of time until disney runs out of renaissance movies to remake and turn to their pixar movies. although i wouldn’t mind a live-action UP

Isn't the Little Mermaid the only one left?

Life action Pixar just seems grotesque.

Edited by cannastop