sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

Everytime Disney showed TLK footage on events, the scenes got raves.

I really don’t think the trailer are making justice for the movie, first because the CGI isn’t finished, second it’s just a montage of clips.

I wouldn’t worried with this, TJB have similar complains before release and we all know what happens. If early reactions are accurate, TLK will be easily the most acclaimed Disney live action.

10 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

it’s only a matter of time until disney runs out of renaissance movies to remake and turn to their pixar movies. although i wouldn’t mind a live-action UP

I'm not sure they will necessarily do that. 

There are still plenty of other options. 

They are hoping to start another franchise with Jungle Cruise. 

With the Rock and a  nice July date, it could do quite well. 
if it does, I could see them turning back to ride-themed type films like they did with Pirates and Haunted Mansion.

Truth is with MCU, Pixar and Marvel, Disney has an embarrassment of riches already. 

They could literally only make movies within the canon of those 3 and still be ridiculously successful. And now they have all of the Fox properties to fold in to their own too.  

Oh yeah, and I almost forgot they are releasing another Indiana Jones in 2021.

Because, you know, they are strapped for hits :D

Aladdin was great! Tiny issues but none that majorly detracted from the good parts. Enjoyable, visually appealing, funny, fast-paced. Deserves its 93% audience score. Critics comes across as stuck-up grumpy snobs on this one.

Any chance of Saturday's numbers increasing from Friday's?

i’m not convinced actual footage of real lions singing disney songs in a hyper-realistic setting won’t look super fucking weird and goofy. it’s not a coincidence they haven’t shown a single second of that yet and all the talking in the trailers are done via voiceover

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Between Booksmart and Long Shot I'm beginning to wonder if sleeper hits are even a thing anymore. It's kinda depressing. 

to be frank, they didn't think through the release time. Why would you want to fight for box office with contender's like Aladdin, Godzilla, dark phoenix.  Aladdin is also the same demographic they are going after.  

3 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Aladdin was great! Tiny issues but none that majorly detracted from the good parts. Enjoyable, visually appealing, funny, fast-paced. Deserves its 93% audience score. Critics comes across as stuck-up grumpy snobs on this one.

Any chance of Saturday's numbers increasing from Friday's?

I think critics sometimes just try to follow the general opinion based on the trailers. Since the general opinion was kinda negative on the teaser's and trailers they toned their reviews around that too trying to match it.  I hate it when they do that.  

40 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Between Booksmart and Long Shot I'm beginning to wonder if sleeper hits are even a thing anymore. It's kinda depressing. 

I think it looks like now comedies are not the easiest film to find an audience for anymore. It just seems like not a lot of people are willing to spend 10 - $15 at the theater to watch a comedy when you can basically stream it or illegally download it within a few days of being out. It's a sad new reality of the film landscape that we're living in right now.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, harsh3090416 said:

to be frank, they didn't think through the release time. Why would you want to fight for box office with contender's like Aladdin, Godzilla, dark phoenix.  Aladdin is also the same demographic they are going after.  

But what else are you going to release these? There's always going to be a big-budget extravaganza to compete against.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Everytime Disney showed TLK footage on events, the scenes got raves.

I really don’t think the trailer are making justice for the movie, first because the CGI isn’t finished, second it’s just a montage of clips.

I wouldn’t worried with this, TJB have similar complains before release and we all know what happens. If early reactions are accurate, TLK will be easily the most acclaimed Disney live action.

Those are investors.

The movie is two months away from release, so the animation should be mostly done.

I don't doubt critics will like it, though.

10 minutes ago, harsh3090416 said:

I think critics sometimes just try to follow the general opinion based on the trailers. Since the general opinion was kinda negative on the teaser's and trailers they toned their reviews around that too trying to match it.  I hate it when they do that.  

They don't do that anywhere other than in your imagination.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, harsh3090416 said:

Alternative: the movie is bad

12 minutes ago, baumer said:

But what else are you going to release these? There's always going to be a big-budget extravaganza to compete against.

Q1 sucked for movies big time. Box office was like was a 15 year low for Q1? And its not about just about releasing along side big-budget. Its about releasing it next to the years biggest musical movie that's also targeted towards the same demographic? 

25 minutes ago, harsh3090416 said:

A RT critic said that they have to pick their battles. It's a sad world.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, harsh3090416 said:

Clearly the audience's opinion is the opposite of movie is bad. They are enjoying it. 

Holy shit, there's a difference between the general audience's opinion and the critic's opinion. Stop the presses!!

• Like 1

re: Critics. especially Rotten Tomato critics.

There are literally hundreds of Rotten Tomato Critics.  Given the overall pool, maybe close to 500 'approved' Rotten Tomato critics,

Last time I checked, each and every one of those critics was human. I mean, I don't think any cats or dogs have snuck in yet.

And, guess what?  Some humans are just bad news. Take any random sample of 500 folks and I am QUITE sure you'll find some rotten apples.

Would it surprise me if a couple critics here and here based their opinions on things they shouldn't? HELL NO. Because out of 500 effin' people sheer odds say at least SOME of them won't be on the up and up.

It's smearing the entire profession because a few folks let themselves be bribed or influenced which I and others object to.  Sure some may "pick their battles" as @IronJimbo tries to allege.  Great.  Whatever.  Just don't make it seem like it's the majority of them.  Or frankly a large percentage.

THAT is what's insulting here.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3