sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Random question... Does Bong Joon-ho's Parasite have a stateside release date yet?

Neon hasn't dated it.  Hulu purchased the U.S. rights alongside it - I gather for streaming after (hopefully 3 months after so it can have a traditional theatrical release)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Yes he's doing the sequel and Waititi was all for Thor 4 but that's not happening right now

Waititi had an idea. That’s not the same as “all for ASAP.” If you were a director who didn’t normally do this stuff, you’d want to get back to your own thing or do something else you were interested in and not be pigeonholed too. Waititi parlaying the success of Ragnarok into a dark comedy about Hitler and becoming the first person to make me not terrified about American live-action Akira is the kind of thing you should be able to do once you get a mainstream success.

Not everyone is such a geek that they’re perfectly happy with only working on superhero-related movies for over a decade, like James Gunn.

Edited by TServo2049

53 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Tarantino. Cameron could obviously do it if he wanted to. Abrams, Coogler, Wan could also presumably leverage their massive recent franchise successes to get originals financed.

100% false. Cameron has a serious issue as a perfectionist, to the point that he prepared a "suicide device" aka a razor taped to his editing machine when he was doing the editing for Titanic. Speaking of that, he's such a perfectionist that it manifested as him becoming a control freak and doing his own editing. There are select few directors that delve that deeply into the process.

So I can claim with absolute certainty that there is no way Cameron could ever make a 100M film again. He'd manage to spend more than that on sets and equipment alone. He would never involve himself in a project where he didn't have that kind of backing.

1 minute ago, doublejack said:

100% false. Cameron has a serious issue as a perfectionist, to the point that he prepared a "suicide device" aka a razor taped to his editing machine when he was doing the editing for Titanic. Speaking of that, he's such a perfectionist that it manifested as him becoming a control freak and doing his own editing. There are select few directors that delve that deeply into the process.

So I can claim with absolute certainty that there is no way Cameron could ever make a 100M film again. He'd manage to spend more than that on sets and equipment alone. He would never involve himself in a project where he didn't have that kind of backing.

I'm sure 100m in the original question also means "100m or more".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Tarantino. Cameron could obviously do it if he wanted to. Abrams, Coogler, Wan could also presumably leverage their massive recent franchise successes to get originals financed.

Cuaron too. obviously he already has Gravity but if he wanted to do something else on that scale somebody's gonna cut the check.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Random question... Does Bong Joon-ho's Parasite have a stateside release date yet?

bummed i had to cancel my trip to Cannes if only so i could see this. probably not gonna get a UK release for another year. (snowpiercer was finally released in the uk, dumped on amazon prime, in 2018!)

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Alli said:

why is marketing still so expensive? nobody watches TV anymore. everybody is on the internet where marketing shouldn't be expensive

Google and Facebook pretty much have a duopoly on online advertising. 

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

bummed i had to cancel my trip to Cannes if only so i could see this. probably not gonna get a UK release for another year. (snowpiercer was finally released in the uk, dumped on amazon prime, in 2018!)

Im pretty sure Snowpiercer on Netflix years ago.

10 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I'm sure 100m in the original question also means "100m or more".

You're right. I totally misread the original question. I retract my previous statement. Cameron could definitely make an original film with a big budget, if he ever gets over the Pandora obsession.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alli said:

why is marketing still so expensive? nobody watches TV anymore. everybody is on the internet where marketing shouldn't be expensive

Think about how often you’ve decided to spend money based on an internet ad. Now think about how many ads that implies they must need to get a decent effect. That’s why it’s so expensive.

2 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Think about how often you’ve decided to spend money based on an internet ad. Now think about how many ads that implies they must need to get a decent effect. That’s why it’s so expensive.

I have AdBlock lol

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

no it literally was first added to UK netflix this month. unless you used a proxy idk.

It might have been back when I was able to get US Netflix...

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

It might have been back when I was able to get US Netflix...

shame we can't get at it any more. their movie library seems better than the UK version. beyond their originals it's not much.

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

shame we can't get at it any more. their movie library seems better than the UK version. beyond their originals it's not much.

Canadian Netflix was the best Netflix, which made Canadians complaining about their Netflix online super strange. They didn't know what they had.

• Like 1

"Aladdin" was one of the biggest hits of Robin Williams career.  And it truly was a game changer for Voice Over Actors in Animated films as far as marketing.  It adjust to 472 domestically so barring a miracle, that's obviously too hefty a goal for this version.   But can it make what the original did unajusted?  (216 Million)  It should blow past that with this 30+ Fri.   So yes it will outgross "Dumbo" for sure and it will be one of Disney's highest grossing "Re-imaginings".  I saw it way back then and many more times of times on Home Video, it was that good.   Will had some big shoes to fill but I though he did a good job.  He payed tribute to Robin while also making the character more like himself from his hip hop days.   I think it was a good remake of the original cartoon.   The Leads had really good chemistry and the singing was just fine. 

This will dominate Family audiences this Holiday for sure,  It was a crowd-pleaser.   Wow @ Guy Ritchie.  I really liked "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking barrels" and "Snatch" during my high school and college years.  I thought he did pretty good in this.     As for Memorial Day, looks like "Pirates 3", "Crystal Skulls" and yes "X-Men: Last Stand" will remain Kings.  This Holiday there is big money to be made but the right film has to do it.  "Solo" still did 103 4-Day last year which was Top 10 All Time.   The bottom line with Will having a strong music background, doing a musical wasn't really far fetched for him.  This guy has been making music since the Mid-80's.   But Congrats to Will, this is like his 17th or 18th #1 Opening Film including having that 8 in a row streak.  

Image result for aladdin home video box

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Snowpiercer and Okja are fine. Really like them even. But, my favorite Bong is when he's in his native land doing his thing. That's a shame, man. Early reactions have me hoping he's in full on Mother mode. Short trailer and poster for Parasite are killer too. 

• Like 1

I just got out of booksmart and it's a mixed review for me. Keep in mind I'm 47 years old so perhaps it's not a film that caters to me but I didn't care for the first half but I loved the last half-hour. So go figure.

Aladdin is going to make an absolute fucking killing here today. The IMAX shows are sold out all day and there are kids crawling all over the place at the theater right now.

• Like 3