sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

Just now, TalismanRing said:

It has a UK distributor  - the same that released The Handmaiden

i know but sometimes these guys drag their feet with the foreign language films and release them months after even the US. even the handmaiden was a full year after it played cannes, but a big win can make them want to release it sooner in the awards season for BAFTA consideration.

• Like 2

Really good Friday number for Aladdin. If anything, I felt like an underperformance was likelier than an overperformance, so the fact that it should be able to top $100 million over the full four-day weekend is definitely a financial win.

I'm so so so bummed - albeit not entirely surprised - that Booksmart didn't catch on. It's up there with the best of the recent wave of excellent indie teen comedies.

• Like 2

Holy crap, the RT audience score for Aladdin is reaching pinnacle audience reception level. Even all audience is up to 87%. Meanwhile, going down with critics, wtf is their problem here? Most I've disagreed with them on a blockbuster in awhile. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

I assume you mean domestically, because if you don't think TLK is going to make a billion worldwide you really just need to hang it up. 

obviously I don't mean domestic, no film has made a billion dollars domestically and no I don't think it's going to make a billion dollars worldwide. thanks for the advice but I've been doing this for about 25 years so I'll stick to my guns.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Bong just won the palme d'or. maybe a little easier for parasite to get UK distribution now. shoplifters got here fairly quickly.

I hope this means we finally get a Foreign Language nominee from South Korea.

58 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i felt this way about mulan but everyone got mad when they said they were cutting the songs and now they're back in so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh shit, really? I thought they were ditching the songs because Chinese moviegoers don't like musicals.

Then again, betting your movie's success on China is always stupid.

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

obviously I don't mean domestic, no film has made a billion dollars domestically and no I don't think it's going to make a billion dollars worldwide. thanks for the advice but I've been doing this for about 25 years so I'll stick to my guns.

A bit silly to bet against the Lion king, but I'd like it to lose to Zootopia too. :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, ZackM said:

In a shocking turn of events, Aladdin was incredible.  The marketing team for this movie should all be fired.

Disney was ridiculously stupid here. This could have and should have easily been a 400+ DOM and 1B+ WW grosser with the popularity of the original and  the quality of this remake, but the initial marketing was a total trainwreck and on top of that they stuck it between Pikachu, Pets, and Toy Story with no room to breathe. They should have waited, even if the movie was finished and given it a spot with less competition and marketed it much better. It would have been massive. I wouldn't be surprised if it does still hit 300+ with WOM, but it will have to leg its way there when it could have easily blown way past that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

Yeah I loved okja but snow piercer is just ok. Memories of Murder is best bong imo 

Huh, I loved Snowpiercer but I thought Okja was just ok. It was too ham-fisted, by no means a good movie, just beat you over the head with the same point. It was well produced but not well directed. Whereas Snowpiercer was something original that kept me excited throughout about the weird world these people inhabited.

15 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm with you on limiting expectations but I put the floor at 1 billion. Probably will open to at least 150 DOM, probably a lot more.

5 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Huh, I loved Snowpiercer but I thought Okja was just ok. It was too ham-fisted, by no means a good movie, just beat you over the head with the same point. It was well produced but not well directed. Whereas Snowpiercer was something original that kept me excited throughout about the weird world these people inhabited.

Noted.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

on top of that they stuck it between Pikachu, Pets, and Toy Story

I agree they could have marketed it better, but I can’t agree with this. Pika isn’t notable competition. SLoP2 looks like it won’t be either. TS4 comes out 4 weeks from now is is essentially irrelevant to Aladdin’s gross. None of these 3 individually or all 3 combined should be viewed as having hurt Aladdin much. Maybe it would do better if it was released in a 4 week window with zero competition, but that’s kind of beside the point as those don’t really exist. It got some holidays, it gets a lot of summer, the release date is just fine (although Dumbo+Aladdin+TLK doesn’t seem wise to me in terms of possible genre burnout).

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

I agree they could have marketed it better, but I can’t agree with this. Pika isn’t notable competition. SLoP2 looks like it won’t be either. TS4 comes out 4 weeks from now is is essentially irrelevant to Aladdin’s gross. None of these 3 individually or all 3 combined should be viewed as having hurt Aladdin much. Maybe it would do better if it was released in a 4 week window with zero competition, but that’s kind of beside the point as those don’t really exist. It got some holidays, it gets a lot of summer, the release date is just fine (although Dumbo+Aladdin+TLK doesn’t seem wise to me in terms of possible genre burnout).

SLOP2 will make at least 250, that's notable competition to me. 4 weeks later shouldn't be irrelevant for a family movie either. That should be when it's hitting its stride for late legs that give family movies such good multis. But TS4 will be taking audiences at that point. Honestly, Aladdin should have been saved for summer 2020. Even if they just sat on the finished product for a year. 

• Like 1

I thought Aladdin was fantastic. Obviously very similar to the original but I liked the few changes they made. WS could never replicate or outshine Williams performance but he made it his own and I enjoyed it. The way they made Jasmine more empowered was also a nice touch. She felt like Aladdin's equal. My only issue is jafar was just a meh villain. I really liked BatB, thought JB was ok, didn't even care to watch Cinderella and thought maleficent was a cool reimagining. But this so far is my favorite live action; we'll see if that changes after Lion King.

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

Tangled has one of the lamest Disney soundtracks ever, but you know that when it gets remade in 2032, a whole bunch of weenies are gonna whine and complain if "When Will My Life Begin" isn't on the soundtrack, and go all "ITS NOT THE SAME WITHOUT IT"

Tbh I don't dislike the Tangled soundtrack, but yeah, it's hilarious to see people who cry foul for Disney making the same kind of movies and then complaining about the remakes not being musicals.

If anything, I would love to see them try to turn non-musicals into musicals with the remakes. Like, make Lilo & Stitch a musical when you inevitably remake it into live-action. Or Zootopia. It would be a genuinely different and interesting take.