charlie Jatinder

Tuesday (5/28) Numbers

3 hours ago, baumer said:

End Game is not getting an expansion in June, or July or August.  As Keyser said, the most logical place is Labour Day.  There are too many fresh movies coming out for theatres to pack them in for, EG is going to continue shedding screens.  It had a great run, but 850 is the max I can see it hitting now.  And it might fall just short of Avatar too.  

might? It's extremely likely to finish under avatar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

Wow. If Aladdin does have this great hold this weekend, with Godzilla dominating PLF screens, you can bet they wish they didn’t have Dark Phoenix opening the weekend after.  Without it theaters would probably want to be getting Aladdin back in some of their major screens. Let’s face it, KOTM is all about this weekend and then it’ll fade fast. 

Aladdin’s word of mouth is going to be cause for some serious debate amongst theater owners the following weekend around screens. 

52 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Over 11? Ok....WOM could just be starting for "Aladdin".   Let's see if Godzilla is gonna hold serve here. 

That is an impressive hold. Highest Tuesday I can see from a Memorial Day debut is $8.2M for Xmen DOFP

In my family circle, I'm seeing people who watched it this weekend from some very different demos (older couple, younger couple, family with kids). All have recommended it. I think it wins this weekend, and I think it will take a big bite out of SLOP2. 

It was on the maybe list for a family movie outing, but I'm thinking we'll go this weekends or next t see it. 

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

For Endgame's theater holds, it's looking very good to hold probably in the 3200-3400 range of theaters this weekend, the same range as I'm expecting for JW3 and Pika.  Then, you get to the June 6-8 weekend with SLOP and Dark Phoenix.  At this point, Pika would be the big loser b/c it is performing the lowest of the 3, so I'd expect that movie to see the big drop (along with last weekend's killer B movies - Brightburn and Booksmart).  But for that weekend, I'd expect Endgame to still hold 2500+ theaters (I could even see 2800+, but that's assuming SLOP and Dark Phoenix continue to look weak).

And then the following weekend is Father's Day.  Now, theaters know that...and they know that supers are father's day catnip...so I can't imagine a lot of places looking to unload Endgame if they can keep it at all...depending how Ma does, it would be the perfect split partner to share the Father's Day love with...

So, those looking for TLJ type theater drops (where it lost 1142 theaters in weekend #5 to drop to 3090 and then 634 in weekend #6 to drop to 2456 and then 711 in weekend #7 to drop to 1745), I don't see it right now. 

Endgame held 3810 in weekend #5.  I'm expecting by weekend #8 (father's day), we might still see it in 2000+ theaters...I mean, it just posted its 1st sub 40% drop day yesterday without holidays (if Charlie's numbers are correct), and it's above everything but JW3 and Aladdin...give it a few more days, and it might pop above JW3, too...and when you are holding that well, you hang around and the later releases drop...

Infinity War had around 3500 theaters heading to week 6. I dont see why Endgame would drop to 3200-3400 theaters now. Other than that, I agree with you.

• Like 1

Pets 2 is hardly setting the box office on fire here in the UK. 

Its opening weekend was way down on the original, and the U.K. is perhaps a better indicator than any other market as to how it’ll play Stateside. 

It’s school holidays this week over here and I just had a look at my local theater - both have 3:30pm showtimes. Aladdin is sold out and Pets is about 40%. 

This is Day 8 for Aladdin here too, with SLP2 on Day 5. 

Something tells me parents would rather take their kids to see their nostalgia fest than the Pets sequel. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Pets 2 is hardly setting the box office on fire here in the UK. 

Its opening weekend was way down on the original, and the U.K. is perhaps a better indicator than any other market as to how it’ll play Stateside. 

It’s school holidays this week over here and I just had a look at my local theater - both have 3:30pm showtimes. Aladdin is sold out and Pets is about 40%. 

This is Day 8 for Aladdin here too, with SLP2 on Day 5. 

Something tells me parents would rather take their kids to see their nostalgia fest than the Pets sequel. 

Plus if they want to see a sequel, why not wait 2 weeks and see Toy Story 4 a movie adults will be more interested in than SLOP 2. I liked SLOP but the plot of the sequel looks meh.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1