sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

54 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Can I just say: it is really, really not ridiculous. And I wish people would stop using this excuse against fans who go hard for certain Studios or IPs.  It it feels like an excuse to gaslight people for daring to have emotions.

Entertainment Industry is a business.  No one is saying otherwise. It is a business that sells escapism, fantasy, catharsis, and pathos.  Of course it becomes easier to become

attached. 

Brand Favoritism and rivalries have been around for decades. It’s what happens in a capitalist consumer based society. Rooting for WB to do well is really not different than rooting for the Giants to win the World Series or Green Bay to win the Super Bowl. Those are all multi-million dollar organizations that you as a fan have zero monetary interest in. So, what’s the point?

And why is rooting for THAT multi-million/billion dollar organization to succeed any different than me rooting for Godzilla to succeed so we can get a good Godzilla v Kong movie?

It’s not. Don’t let them fool you into thinking it is.

What a fantastic and great analogy. If sports fans can get emotional over their favs, then you better believe that movie fans can get emotional over theirs.

Perfectly put in every way, IMO.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I want WB to make great movies because I like great movies. Same for Sony and Disney and Independents. I don't care who makes it, I just want good films

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, captainwondyful said:

Can I just say: it is really, really not ridiculous. And I wish people would stop using this excuse against fans who go hard for certain Studios or IPs.  It it feels like an excuse to gaslight people for daring to have emotions.

Entertainment Industry is a business.  No one is saying otherwise. It is a business that sells escapism, fantasy, catharsis, and pathos.  Of course it becomes easier to become

attached. 

Brand Favoritism and rivalries have been around for decades. It’s what happens in a capitalist consumer based society. Rooting for WB to do well is really not different than rooting for the Giants to win the World Series or Green Bay to win the Super Bowl. Those are all multi-million dollar organizations that you as a fan have zero monetary interest in. So, what’s the point?

And why is rooting for THAT multi-million/billion dollar organization to succeed any different than me rooting for Godzilla to succeed so we can get a good Godzilla v Kong movie?

It’s not. Don’t let them fool you into thinking it is.

As a Ravens season ticket holder, though, I saw the value of my tickets nearly double after they won the Super Bowl (in 2001 and 2013). It became much easier to sell tickets to games I couldn’t attend. Similarly, as a comic collector, I’ve seen the value of certain books in my collection increase as the MCU has gained in popularity- there’s surely a causation there. 

Still, I don’t root for the Ravens and Marvel movies solely because their success might help me financially - it’s more of a nice bonus!

• Thanks 1

I know It 2 and Joker are being touted as WB's big bankers for the year but I think we might get a surprise hit with Doctor Sleep, the fact it was moved up from January 2020 is a sign of confidence but we'll need to see a trailer before we can make a full judgement. The only thing WB might find a challenge is should they market as a sequel to Stephen King's The Shining or Stanley Kubrick's The Shining? 

55 minutes ago, John Harris said:

As a Ravens season ticket holder, though, I saw the value of my tickets nearly double after they won the Super Bowl

And my Disney Stock is up cause of Disney+/The Merger/AEG. My point still stands. 

Godzilla KotM 67% male audience opening weekend

Godzilla KotM 76% male audience opening weekend

Kong Skull Island 56% male audience opening weekend

Godzilla 2014 58% male audience opening weekend

To illustrate this demo decline with the two differing gender splits given above:

Godzilla KotM (2019)
$47,776,293 first weekend (-48.7% from Godzilla 2014)
$32,010,116 men (67%) (-40.8% from Godzilla 2014)
$15,766,177 women (33%) (-59.7% from Godzilla 2014)

With the same gender split as 2014's (without losing any men), the opening would have been in the mid 50s.

Godzilla KotM (2019)
$47,776,293 first weekend (-48.7% from Godzilla 2014)
$36,309,983 men (76%) (-32.8% from Godzilla 2014)
$11,466,310 women (24%) (-70.7% from Godzilla 2014)

With the same gender split as 2014's (without losing any men), the opening would have been in the low 60s.

Godzilla (2014)
$93,188,384 first weekend
$54,049,263 men (58%)
$39,139,121 women (42%)

Edited by MagnarTheGreat
added detail; update
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I know It 2 and Joker are being touted as WB's big bankers for the year but I think we might get a surprise hit with Doctor Sleep, the fact it was moved up from January 2020 is a sign of confidence but we'll need to see a trailer before we can make a full judgement. The only thing WB might find a challenge is should they market as a sequel to Stephen King's The Shining or Stanley Kubrick's The Shining? 

Yes. The movie has a lot of potential to break out. But the dates... 

Nov 1- Terminator: Dark Fate

Nov 8- Doctor Sleep

Nov 15- Ford v Ferrari

Nov 22- Frozen 2

It will come out a week after Terminator, and 2 weeks after its showing comes Frozen 2. But different target audiences, I guess.

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

How so? The stock is lower now than before the movie release no?

Cause I didn't buy it OW?

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

What a fantastic and great analogy. If sports fans can get emotional over their favs, then you better believe that movie fans can get emotional over theirs.

Perfectly put in every way, IMO.

Yes, but in all good things, moderation. I think it's messed up that people feel they need to rain on people's parades... I guess I'm sort of doing it right now, lol... or for fans to mock other fans who already feel some sort of way about a thing. That's punching down, and punching down is what bullies do, or people who want to be bullies.... which is actually worse if you think about it. 

But I also think it's important to remember that while it's normal to have a lot of emotion for movies - and the people who make them - the freedom to feel things isn't the same as permission to lose all perspective. The sports fan analogy makes sense, but you probably don't want to be uncle Frank with the bad breath who spends more time calling into Mike Fransesca than he does talking to his relatives.

That's part of the reason I pay attention to box office. It evens things out! I know that seems like a contradiction, but paying attention to the totals and studying box office #s has made me good at separating financial success and movie quality, and its led to me enjoying more movies now that I'm not so caught up in whether my favorite movie beats some other movie in the standings....

Do I like it when a movie I love makes a ton of money? Of course I do! It's very much like a team you root for winning the playoffs. But I also love watching a movie - even if its a movie I don't really like - go on an amazing tear up the charts. The two things don't have to be linked.... but it is fun when they are.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Cause I didn't buy it OW?

I mean why are you saying the stock is up due to End Game (considering the stock is lower after than before End Game release), I am not sure when the stock was acquired change to the question (the question would be the same if you never bought it)

Movies do not tend to make stock move for giant conglomerate.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Barnack said:

How so ?

The stock is lower now than before the movie release no ?

I don't think EG affected the Disney stock that much. The main reason it was up is because of the merger and Disney+. Before the merger, Disney's market cap is hovering between $150B and $160B. After the merger, Disney issued new stocks to the previous stockholders of 21stCF, so the market cap jumped from $150B/$160B to $200B. And then after the presentation of Disney+ contents and pricing to investors and analysts, the market cap jumped significantly, now hovering between $235B and $240B (surpassing Comcast, AT&T, and Verizon). The investors don't really depend if they buy/sell the stocks based on the movie grosses. They care more about the TV, Parks, and the new Direct-to-Consumer (streaming) divisions. The revenue of the film division is like a chump change when compared the huge revenues of the TV and Parks divisions, and they see the Direct-to-Consumer division (Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu) as the future of the company.

Edited by UserHN
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Yes. The movie has a lot of potential to break out. But the dates... 

Nov 1- Terminator: Dark Fate

Nov 8- Doctor Sleep

Nov 15- Ford v Ferrari

Nov 22- Frozen 2

It will come out a week after Terminator, and 2 weeks after its showing comes Frozen 2. But different target audiences, I guess.

Terminator's a bit of a wildcard even with the return of Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor. 

3 minutes ago, UserHN said:

I don't think EG affected the Disney stock that much.

That much ? Why think in any way ?

EndGame release date: april 26, 2019

Disney stock price:

Apr 12, 2019 130.06 (jump from Disney+ announcement)

Apr 15, 2019 132.04 (just before the movie release)

Today: 132.47

The price is exactly the same than before EndGame broke record.

Either it performed exactly has expected and was already included in the price and in that sense it helped it from the movie announcement (or Infinity War success) in a small way, yes. But that not a Liongates/EuroCorp that single movie make change to the stock price on how they perform at the box office I imagine.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That much ? Why think in any way ?

EndGame release date: april 26, 2019

Disney stock price:

Apr 12, 2019 130.06 (jump from Disney+ announcement)

Apr 15, 2019 132.04 (just before the movie release)

Today: 132.47

The price is exactly the same than before EndGame broke record.

Either it performed exactly has expected and was already included in the price and in that sense it helped it from the movie announcement (or Infinity War success) in a small way, yes. But that not a Liongates/EuroCorp that single movie make change to the stock price on how they perform at the box office I imagine.

Exactly. Like I said, investors and analysts care more about the TV, Parks, and Direct-to-Consumer divisions. They don't care much about the film division.