sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

The marketing was absolutely everywhere for both movies. I am shocked at this. The numbers are so low the movies simply can't recover. The PTA's are atrocious.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was people either just ignoring them completely in favor of Aladdin or some other upcoming movie (like Pets 2, Dark Phoenix or Toy Story 4 - the latter which, on that note, I saw a giant ad for in a Primark in Spain..... made me wanna puke).

14 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Lots of denial in the Godzila KOTM threads about the films underperforming pretty much everywhere.  Lots of hatred toward the critics of the "HOW DARE ANYBODY NOT LIKE SOMETHING I LIKE!" variety.

Seems to me that the blame should go to Warners"Legnedary by going with a weak script that would not appeal to the General Audince. The Kaiju fans are happy as long as you have a Monster Mash, but I think most people require a bit more..like decent writing ..which this film does not have a lot of.

I feel like this is a problem with Godzilla and always has been. In 2014 it was a ton of complaining about hiding the monster and the pretensious attempt to make it like Jaws.  Who cares about the people, give us the monsters!!! That was the accepted wisdom. 

So now this movie is packed full of big monsters, and all anyone is saying is But why would I care about the monsters when you can't get the people right? 

American audiences seem to know exactly what a Godzilla movie is supposed to be like and it's never the thing they just watched. American audiences seem to love the idea of Godzilla but they'd rather not have to actually watch them if they don't have to. 

• Thanks 1

good to see movies with animal rights kicking ass.  not since The Day After Tomorrow has there been the presence of a disaster waiting to happen, and now Black Panther and kids movies that are multicultural or tribal with animals and LGBT, The Lion King will begin the mass migrations of predators and prey, while people terraform the earth

14 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Lots of denial in the Godzila KOTM threads about the films underperforming pretty much everywhere.  Lots of hatred toward the critics of the "HOW DARE ANYBODY NOT LIKE SOMETHING I LIKE!" variety.

Seems to me that the blame should go to Warners"Legnedary by going with a weak script that would not appeal to the General Audince. The Kaiju fans are happy as long as you have a Monster Mash, but I think most people require a bit more..like decent writing ..which this film does not have a lot of.

Most of us follow the box office because we want to see the films we enjoy succeed. Can you relate to how bad it feels the film youve been so excited for disappoints in a potential franchise killing way?

Maybe you can give us kaiju fans a break. Some of us have left the forums entirely to avoid snide commets from users who want to rub our noses in our previously optimistic box office projections or seem to get some satisfaction from ragging on the film. Its not enough that critics disliked it and that its box office prospects look dimmer by the minute, but now a bunch of people are jumping on the thread just to give hyperbolic reviews (like "worst movie ever", "toilet trash" etc).

Of course there is denial, this whole thing is actually kind of emotional for some people. As longtime fans, the film's rejection somehow feels personal. I know its ridiculous to root for a studio film and hope it makes money, but if you can get over that maybe you can empathize. Give us a little time to get some distance, then we can start doing a more objective analysis

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Only wiki mentioned 75m, all other sites mention 55m.

Do you know what sites quoted it at 55 million? The only one I've ever checked his boxofficemojo and it doesn't have the budget so what other site did you get your information from? I'm just curious that's all.

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

Do you know what sites quoted it at 55 million? The only one I've ever checked his boxofficemojo and it doesn't have the budget so what other site did you get your information from? I'm just curious that's all.

https://hnentertainment.co/john-wick-3-hits-franchise-high-with-estimated-domestic-opening-of-57m-and-takes-1-spot-from-avengers-endgame-reaches-92m-globally/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inverse.com/amp/article/56045-john-wick-chapter-4-release-date-plot-spoilers-trailer-box-office

https://mobile.twitter.com/ScottMendelson/status/1129403364364521473

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, baumer said:

I just googled "John Wick 3 budget" and "John Wick 3 budget deadline" and all results with some kind of number mentioned 55m, only wiki mentioned 75m.

Edited by Firepower
  • Thanks 1

Initial BOP long-range forecast  

Godzilla: King of the Monsters $46,000,000 NEW $110,000,000

I remember this was ridiculed by many at the time. It will be remarkably close.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Slave Animal Rights said:

good to see movies with animal rights kicking ass.  not since The Day After Tomorrow has there been the presence of a disaster waiting to happen, and now Black Panther and kids movies that are multicultural or tribal with animals and LGBT, The Lion King will begin the mass migrations of predators and prey, while people terraform the earth

How about more movies dealing with droid rights? Why did you exclude our sentient mechanical friends?

S2550.jpg

5 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Maybe he just misclicked. Was 55m mentioned in the same article before or he just mentioned 75m in the other article?

The 55m was mentioned in a tweet a week before that article.