sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

This fall looks so much more interesting than the summer it's not even funny. It 2, Ad Astra, The Report, The Hunt from Lindelof, Jojo Rabbit, Doctor Sleep, Ford/Ferrari, The Lighthouse, CATS.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Disney live action remakes vs. Illumination...whoever wins, we lose

Both got a lot in common when you think about it...

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
My spelling is shite
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Even though he budget is low Illumination spends a ton on marketing. So it could look like a bigger hit than it is if you just look at the budget...

They do but this time around marketing seemed far more muted than for Pets 1 where they were advertising more than a year in advance.  I gather they thought they needed less b/c the first did so well.  But Pets 1 really wasn't a film that lasted in the public consciousness so relying on that supposed goodwill was a mistake.

I hope Deadline are just over-compensating for last Friday's purported 24 OD for KOTM.

Even if that 4 goes up to 4.5, it would be a relief.

6.8 (+50%)

5.1 (-25%)

= 16.4

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

This fall looks so much more interesting than the summer it's not even funny. It 2, Ad Astra, The Report, The Hunt from Lindelof, Jojo Rabbit, Doctor Sleep, Ford/Ferrari, The Lighthouse, CATS.

Parasite, Portrait of a Lady on Fire, The Lodge, Lucy in the Sky, Gemini Man, Pain and Glory, Motherless Brooklyn, Honey Boy, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, Knives Out, Little Women, 1917, etc.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Wow Aladdin really is becoming the go to movie this summer who would have thought?

Bad numbers all around but c'mon no one is seriously arguing that SLOP 2 is a flop or anything but the trend from the first one is a cause of concern. They don't want to become like DreamWorks who peaked with the Shrek franchise but couldn't really find anything else to even come close. 

Eh Dark Phoenix what a sad (but let's be honest an expected) way for the X-Men to go out. 

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Solo: I am the biggest bomb in recent big budget movie history.

Dark Phoenix: Hold my beer, I'm going in.

Solo is still the biggest bomb in recent big budget movie history, and one of the biggest ever.

Just now, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

This is the actual X-Men cannon:

X-Men

X-Men 2

X-Men: First Class

The Wolverine

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Logan

Deadpool 1 and 2 are the epilogues, the rest don’t exist

Considering Days of Future Past has flashbacks to X3, you have to include it. Rest can be ignored though 

• Like 1