sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

i've come around on despicable me if only because i annoy everyone around me in my life by doing Gru impressions a lot. that's been my bit for like the last year. Gru. The best character in the history of animation.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, oMeriMombatti said:

I don't understand this at all. If people enjoy certain movies who are we to judge them. Now, except Despicable Me 1 and 2, I don't like Illumination animations at all but you can't deny there's market for them because people/kids enjoy them, that's why they churn out such big hits. As for Disney Remakes, the kind of WOM Aladdin has is already in front of you. I thought BATB was utter shit but majority liked it, so it is what it is.

Simple, I don't like films that I perceive as low-quality cash grabs to be successful.  Obviously people are free to disagree with my perception of these films, but Illumination films are mass marketed in a way to appeal to as wide of an audience as possible despite the fact that all of them are thoroughly mediocre, and Disney live action remakes are mostly the same film you saw 20+ years ago except worse and done in live action.

Similarly, I also get excited by films that I think are great doing well at the box office.  That's why I follow the box office in the first place, because there's a certain thrill you get when a movie you love does well.  The same goes for if a movie you dislike does poorly.  It's cathartic.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1

12 minutes ago, AJG said:

Wait...

Ben Hur flopped!?!?!

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $26,410,477    28.1%
Foreign:  $67,650,834    71.9%

Worldwide:  $94,061,311  

The 2016 version didn't exactly break out.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Menor said:

That PostTrak data for Phoenix is horrendous. Even BvS got 60% definite recommend and this is only at 51. I'm actually curious to see what could be so bad about it.

It’s very very boring.

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i've come around on despicable me if only because i annoy everyone around me in my life by doing Gru impressions a lot. that's been my bit for like the last year. Gru. The best character in the history of animation.

i am glad the movie gru on you.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Plenty, but once they saw the movie no one cared b/c it was great.

The MCU was damn lucky they had a director and star who could write dialogue the night before and the day of and improvise and make magic.  It's not hyperbole when it's said that the MCU was built on the back of RDJ.  He not only performed the shit out of that movie he wrote a significant chunk of it.  With a pay check of $500k.

I like this comment on that page... 

LbuEY3M.png

• Like 1

If those King of the Monsters Deadline numbers prove accurate than I guess Zilla kind of goes up in flames this weekend. With a $14.5 million 2nd weekend the giant lizard might not even break $100 million domestically, which was simply unfathomable a few weeks ago. Or maybe I had too high expectations for KotM? I mean $150 million is not THAT much today, I wasn't expecting 250, I wasn't even looking for $200 million, like the previous one. But the possibility of it not even making $100 million in North America is scary.

I was going to watch Dark Phoenix just on principle even though I'm not really a X-men fan but all these negative reactions have pretty much killed any interest I had. :whosad:And almost everything except Aladdin doing badly or mediocrely jeez

4 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

I can only speak for myself, but I wish we could have a situation like 1963 where the highest grossing film of the year and the biggest bomb of the year were the same film.

Well, according to some on here the current highest grossing film of the year is also the biggest disappointment...

• Haha 5

I can't get too mad at Illumination or Blue Sky or any of these other animation studios trying to get some market share. They may be cookie-cutter and bland in general, but even at their blandest, they're still nowhere near as terrible as what '80s kids had to grow up with. '90s kids didn't have it that much better outside of Disney....

You wanna talk cash grab, look no further than Transformers the Movie or My Little Pony the Movie or Garbage Pail Kids the Movie.... etc. etc. etc. etc. 

or Space Jam. Try watching that today and not cringing your whole face off. Especially once R. Kelly starts singing. 

43 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

The Green Book of 2005, for sure

At least with Crash there was a much better movie that should have won. It didn't just win by default:redcapes:

Spoiler

I'm saying this as though I didn't want Blackkklansman to win. It would have been nice to see it win, but it wasn't as WTF for me as Brokeback not winning

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

32 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

Has everyone already forgotten 47 RONIN?

This one is also big bomb, but it wasn't a part of one of the biggest franchises in the world and nobody expected that it would be successful.

31 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It really isn't unless one is talking relative to expectations.  It terms of $ lost behold...

John Carter

Mars Needs Moms

Jupiter Ascending

Peter Pan (2015)

Jack the Giant Slayer

Monster Trucks

The Lone Ranger

Green Lantern

R.I.P.D

King Arthur

Tomorrowland

Ben Hur

and on and on

Now folks have taken Deadline's methodology to task, and with some justification probably, but Deadline reckoned that just last year Mortal Engines, A Wrinkle in Time, and Robin Hood (2018)  were all bigger bombs than Solo was.

They had Mortal Engines (-175m) as over twice times the bombage of Solo (-77m), in fact.  AWiT wasn't far behind at -131m.

Again, quibble with how they're figuring this out if one wants.  I know some were trying to attack the costs on the Solo ledger, for instance.  But since the same level of scrutiny probably hasn't been given to AWIT or Mortal Engines' costs, I think the relative ranking (if not the absolute) probably isn't that far off the mark.  Especially since Solo still gets to live in the SW ancillary/secondary market.

Make no mistake, Solo bombed and bombed hard.  Hard enough to literally change the fortunes of a studio.  But there are still films that bombed much harder than it.

• Like 4