sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

17 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

VISIONARY DIRECTOR ANG LEE

After uGfpjSF.png&key=72e591d6b8253b8faac16066 was such a hit maybe that means good things for 6blt39m.png vs6blt39m.png

He's back in people's hearts!

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Disbelief 1

Let's wait until Saturday on the numbers Deadline is reporting. It is barely 5 pm on the East Coast. These are just very early projections with basically no West Coast and only a handful of East coast shows to make predictions.

Maybe they end up that bad, but i'm not convinced yet.

27 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Solo is still the biggest bomb in recent big budget movie history, and one of the biggest ever.

It really isn't unless one is talking relative to expectations.  It terms of $ lost behold...

John Carter

Mars Needs Moms

Jupiter Ascending

Peter Pan (2015)

Jack the Giant Slayer

Monster Trucks

The Lone Ranger

Green Lantern

R.I.P.D

King Arthur

Tomorrowland

Ben Hur

and on and on

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

So which summer movies will do at least half of Aladdin? 

Endgame, TS4, FFH, TLK, with some chances for SLOP, OUATIH, and F&F:H&S?

Honestly feels like everything that isn't either Disney or Spider-Man (and even that's basically Disney because of the MCU connection) won't be sniffing $200M at this point. Too bad but not much to be done there looking at this summer's slate.

"According to Friday’s early estimates, the 12th and final installment in the Marvel-owned franchise is heading for a disappointing $37.7 million opening weekend, after a lackluster Friday showing. Originally, Disney estimated a start between $40 million and $50 million which would have already ranked the film as one of the franchise’s lowest openings."

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/dark-phoenix-opening-weekend-1203236209/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It really isn't unless one is talking relative to expectations.  It terms of $ lost behold...

John Carter

Mars Needs Moms

Jupiter Ascending

Peter Pan (2015)

Jack the Giant Slayer

Monster Trucks

The Lone Ranger

Green Lantern

R.I.P.D

King Arthur

Tomorrowland

Ben Hur

and on and on

Wait...

Ben Hur flopped!?!?!

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

John Carter

Mars Needs Moms

Jupiter Ascending

Peter Pan (2015)

Jack the Giant Slayer

Monster Trucks

The Lone Ranger

Green Lantern

R.I.P.D

King Arthur

Tomorrowland

Ben Hur

and on and on

Yeah at least that made 213m, but these movies barely moved an inch. 

1 hour ago, Biggestgeekever said:

I think that low end of Hobbs and Shaw is the absolute ceiling for it. It's a spinoff of a series that already saw a significant downward trend in the eighth iteration, so growing from that would be crazy pants.

Even the writeup on the article doesn't use any meaningful data points to suggest why it'd out open Fate of the Furious.

The trailer got great reactions in both Endgame screenings I went to, and it played in front of pretty much every Endgame show there was so a lot of people saw it.  The openings of 4,5,6 and 8 all adjust to 85-105.  I'd put the baseline at about 80.

49 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Disney live action remakes vs. Illumination...whoever wins, we lose

I don't understand this at all. If people enjoy certain movies who are we to judge them. Now, except Despicable Me 1 and 2, I don't like Illumination animations at all but you can't deny there's market for them because people/kids enjoy them, that's why they churn out such big hits. As for Disney Remakes, the kind of WOM Aladdin has is already in front of you. I thought BATB was utter shit but majority liked it, so it is what it is.

• Like 1