sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I am redeading and he is clearly saying that he had full support from Disney, could be lying but Disney was almost certainly put in the loop.

I do not suppose he has a 300m greenlight power on a entity that valuable.

Yes he had full support from Disney - aka Horn and Iger.  But not Ike who was in the loop as part of the MCU purchase/merger.  Ike was then removed from the loop.  Feige is president of currently the most prosperous and valuable film division in Disney - (and Hollywood)  My guess he doesn't have to fight hard to get the budget he thinks he needs. 

42 minutes ago, Porthos said:

New Mutants: *starts flexing its muscles and bobbing its neck back and forth as it prepares to bust through the wall Kool-Aid Man style*

Is New Mutants, a mid budget horror film, really gonna cost that much?

4 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Legendary/Warner Bros.’ Godzilla: King of the Monsters looks like 4M in its 2nd Friday, -79% for second downer of a weekend of $14.5M, -69% with a running total by Sunday of $77.5M.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

9 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I wonder how many clickbait articles there were over the fact that Iron Man shot the movie without a script.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/jeff-bridges-admits-iron-man-movie-had-no-script-5417310

Plenty, but once they saw the movie no one cared b/c it was great.

The MCU was damn lucky they had a director and star who could write dialogue the night before and the day of and improvise and make magic.  It's not hyperbole when it's said that the MCU was built on the back of RDJ.  He not only performed the shit out of that movie he wrote a significant chunk of it.  With a pay check of $500k.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Also from Deadline

GOOD LORD at those Godzilla and Rocketman drops. The former makes sense, but the latter seems ridiculous if true.

I'm really reluctant to believe those drops. Deadline has been low before. It's summertime and people are going to go to the movies.

Using DL's Friday, if Pets follows DM3

42.5M

If it follows Cars 3

46.6M

If it follows Captain Underpants

50.8M

So 50M could happen, but I'm with others on Cars 3 being the best comp here (even though Cars does seem to have a slightly inflated Sunday due to Father's Day). So I feel like this really has to impress tonight and in matinees tomorrow to really reach the half-century mark.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Yes he had full support from Disney - aka Horn and Iger.  But not Ike who was in the loop as part of the MCU purchase/merger.  Ike was then removed from the loop.  Feige is president of currently the most prosperous and valuable film division in Disney - (and Hollywood)  My guess he doesn't have to fight hard to get the budget he thinks he needs. 

I am not sure what it has to do with the original point at all.

He talked to Horn and Iger about the movie project and talk like if he needed their support (i.e. that if they did not supported the project it would not have happened).

To be an independent division you make the movie or acquire it in a festival and Disney does not know about it, never seen it, etc... Possibly will refuse to distribute it once they saw it, it is a different mechanics.

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Plenty, but once they saw the movie no one cared b/c it was great.

The MCU was damn lucky they had a director and star who could write dialogue the night before and the day of and improvise and make magic.  It's not hyperbole when it's said that the MCU was built on the back of RDJ.  He not only performed the shit out of that movie he wrote a significant chunk of it.  With a pay check of $500k.

He would come up with lines on the spot, guy is a great improviser.

Plenty of the iconic lines from Gladiator came from Russell  Crowe.