sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

23 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Except the movies that have recently under performed from other studios have all been tent poles targeting the same 4 quadrants

Summer has been tent pole season for a long long time.  The only difference is that right now it's being dominated by one studio - and not by out put but by success.  That's not a monopoly.

Shazam, Detective Pickachu, & Godzilla 2, SLOP 2,  X-Men 6 (made by Fox and it's a forced $ losing release for Disney) - all tent poles with a lot of theaters and screens.

Next week MIB Intl'l and Shaft  - 2 sequels - one a tent pole.

In R Rated fare - JW3 and Rocketman have been successes.  MA looks to be another good performer for Blumhouse. The Curse of Llorna also made money as well as The Intruder.

Longshot and Booksmart  are the biggest quality casualties but Rom Coms have not done well in theaters for a long time and now Netflix seems to be the place people go to watch them and Booksmart was poorly marketed with an ill thought out rollout.

But Hellboy, The Hustle, Pom Poms, Tolkien, The Sun Is Also a Star, Uglydolls, Brightburn, The Best Of Enemies, A Dogs Journey - not a lot of quality there.  

Wow just not a lack of quality. That is a ton of awful movies for a year.

Agree on Romcoms. Netflix took that space.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Except the movies that have recently under performed from other studios have all been tent poles targeting the same 4 quadrants

Summer has been tent pole season for a long long time.  The only difference is that right now it's being dominated by one studio - and not by out put but by success.  That's not a monopoly.

Shazam, Detective Pickachu, & Godzilla 2, SLOP 2,  X-Men 6 (made by Fox and it's a forced $ losing release for Disney) - all tent poles with a lot of theaters and screens.

Next week MIB Intl'l and Shaft  - 2 sequels - one a tent pole.

In R Rated fare - JW3 and Rocketman have been successes.  MA looks to be another good performer for Blumhouse. The Curse of Llorna also made money as well as The Intruder.

Longshot and Booksmart  are the biggest quality casualties but Rom Coms have not done well in theaters for a long time and now Netflix seems to be the place people go to watch them and Booksmart was poorly marketed with an ill thought out rollout.

But Hellboy, The Hustle, Pom Poms, Tolkien, The Sun Is Also a Star, Uglydolls, Brightburn, The Best Of Enemies, A Dogs Journey - not a lot of quality there.

That's why I said that the blame also has to be put on the other studios for not making themselves more competitive. Where the hell was the marketing for The Secret Life Of Pets 2, i.e.? Where the hell was the marketing for Shazam? Why weren't Pikachu and Godzilla more aggressively promoted as they already had pretty big social media buzz and just needed to be extended to hype outside of the web?

But on the other hand, when you have studios having their movies slated in between remakes of some of the most iconic animated films of the 90's (and, sure, one of them was also underpredicted by just about everyone, but it was still Aladdin.... the majority of people still saw it as putting up Solo-type numbers, and even if Godzilla and Pikachu met expectations, Aladdin would have still been competitive against them), an entry in the 3D animation-godfather franchise and one of the most beloved IP's in cinema history, and a juggernaut that concluded 11 years of storytelling..... it's not very easy to succeed unless you are something that successfully attracts non-four quadrants audiences, like John Wick. Which is why studios that manage to not follow Disney's model with glory deserve to be commended.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

That's why I said that the blame also has to be put on the other studios for not making themselves more competitive. Where the hell was the marketing for The Secret Life Of Pets 2, i.e.? Where the hell was the marketing for Shazam? Why weren't Pikachu and Godzilla more aggressively promoted as they already had pretty big social media buzz and just needed to be extended to hype outside of the web?

But on the other hand, when you have studios having their movies slated in between remakes of some of the most iconic animated films of the 90's (and, sure, one of them was also underpredicted by just about everyone, but it was still Aladdin.... the majority of people still saw it as putting up Solo-type numbers, and even if Godzilla and Pikachu met expectations, Aladdin would have still been competitive against them), an entry in the 3D animation-godfather franchise and one of the most beloved IP's in cinema history, and a juggernaut that concluded 11 years of storytelling..... it's not very easy to succeed unless you are something that successfully attracts non-four quadrants audiences, like John Wick. Which is why studios that manage to not follow Disney's model with glory deserve to be commended.

TLK and TS4 show every indication of being huge but they're not why other non Disney tent poles have been under performing for the last several  months.

AEG was a behemoth but it was also to be expected to a certain degree (not as big but AIW did do $2B+) but Dumbo certainly wasn't.   CM was huge but that's not why Alita a month earlier and Shazam a month later weren't (though I still think Shazam as a CBM was positioned poorly by WB)

Aladdin is doing very well but it's not Beauty & The Beast.  It made $25m this w/e  and $44m last weekend.  Those are not numbers that keep other films from breaking out or opening big especially not in summer where for years upon years there have been not only big films every week, but sometimes two a week.  

WB marketed the shit out of DP  and Godzilla - that they didn't connect out of a sizable core group was maybe down more to the nature of the properties and then the quality of the films than marketing.  SLOP 2 had solid marketing, it just didn't have the usual overwhelming amount for an illumination property that usually compensates for their mediocrity.  Making better movies would have helped more.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

There was marketing, people just didn't care enough to shell out $12 per person. Simple as that.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

Of course they can. It worked just fine in the '60s, for example.

The idea that in 2025 audiences would need to be "warmed up" to the notion of the X-Men doesn't make any sense.  If you can introduce all the Guardians of the Galaxy in a single movie, or all the Eternals even... you can introduce some X-Men. 

It seems you ignored the second half of my post where I stated the difficulty is in regards to the concept of mutants needing to be established in this universe that absolutely does not already include mutants.

6 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Both great movies.  I think I might actually prefer Alita, although they’re both really close for me.

I feel really bad for shitting on both before their release especially Alita. Really deserved much more love both critically and commercially. 

I feel they should have released it in Dec.With a similar opening as bumblebee it would have managed 130+ domestic and 370+ overseas thanks to Christmas legs. 500+ ww.

Valerian - 7/10

Alita - 9/10

The cgi, action scenes and story were good. Valerian's biggest problem was the leads especially De Haan.

OK, We've had 1 really bad weekend this summer and that's this weekend.   Endgame and Parabellum along with Aladdin were some great success stories.  Yes we've had some lackluster sequel performances.  That's fair but I don't think we are at the "What Went Wrong" period yet.  It's still early.  As bad as this weekend was, it's actually up from last year June this time.   I don't know why X-Men fans aren't supporting DP as much as Apocalypse.  The only thing I can think of is it was done with the Older cast in "The Last Stand" which was the highest grossing X-Men movie domestic for a long time.   As for TSLOP2  my only theory is that maybe the 1st movie may have overperformed and the sequel has brought it back down to Earth.  Also to Illuminations credit, they kept the budget in check.  

Edited by filmscholar

All this doom & gloom over horrible movies performing horribly & only weeks after a film opened to fucking $357m opening weekend 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

though I still think Shazam as a CBM was positioned poorly by WB

No it wasn't, if it was marketed better it would have opened a lot higher and it would have reached more of its potential. 

Just now, filmscholar said:

I don't know why X-Men fans aren't supporting DP as much as Apocalypse. 

Cause it sucks and everybody knows a reboot is coming. Movie has clearly been a write off for a while now.

4 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

OK, We've had 1 really bad weekend this summer and that's this weekend.   Endgame and Parabellum along with Aladdin were some great success stories.  Yes we've had some lackluster sequel performances.  That's fair but I don't think we are at the "What Went Wrong" period yet.  It's still early.  As bad as this weekend was, it's actually up from last year June this time.   I don't know why X-Men fans aren't supporting DP as much as Apocalypse.  The only thing I can think of is it was done with the Older cast in "The Last Stand" which was the highest grossing X-Men movie domestic for a long time. 

Why should they? Apocalypse is bad, Dark Phoniex looks bad and is bad and is directed by the same guy who botched the previous Dark Phoenix adaptation. Plus the hardcore of fans know that with the Disney buyout, there is really no future for this Universe.

If anything, X-men fans should be commended for not supporting burnt turkey..

Edited by ScoobyDoo21
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

I don't know why X-Men fans aren't supporting DP as much as Apocalypse.   

Because Apocalypse followed the fantastic Days Of Futures Past. I ran out to see Apocalypse opening day and was very disappointed. Have yet to see Dark Phoenix, plan to during the week.