Eric the Ape

SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME WEEK THREAD l 93.6M 3-Day, 185.1M 6-Day. l ****NO SPOILERS**** | Sale $5 off Gold/Premium/Silver l Other #s - TS4 34.3, YDay 10.7, Annabelle 9.7, Aladdin 7.6, Midsommar 6.6 (10.9 5-Day)

1 minute ago, GrandierHorror said:

😑😑😑Spidey used to earn over 800m when Asian markets have not expanded. 

All the 3 Spidey Tobey with inflation are above 1b.

So what's your point? The first billion dollar Spider-Man movie shouldn't be celebrated?

• Like 1

Just now, Mekanos said:

So what's your point? The first billion dollar Spider-Man movie shouldn't be celebrated?

What about average domestic performance?

2 minutes ago, GrandierHorror said:

Also, 1b excuse is very lame now. There are over 40 films in 1b+ club. 

Yep such a ‘lame club.’ Less than 1 percent of all films released in a year make a billion dollars, but those movies who do make it are total losers right?

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, GrandierHorror said:

I think there are lots of MCU defenders on the Internet. You can't even criticise FFH that it clearly isn't a over performance at all. Spider-Man 2 adjusted opening weekend will be much bigger than FFH. 

You can't criticise Spider-Man otherwise you will be labelled as anti-MCU. Is there a no fine line? 

People are celebrating like Spidey is doing wonders. Captain Marvel 6 days total with 3 weekdays was above 180m+. 

CM also had a $20.5m Thur starting at 6pm.

SM2 was 15 years, 5 SM movies, 2 Spider-Men actors and about 50 or so CBMs ago.  Its a whole different world. 

In the end - SM:FFR is going to wind up about double what ASM2 made (while ASM3 might have hit $150m levels or worse - see X-Men6) and looks to do $1.1b WW on a significantly lower budget and ad spend.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GrandierHorror said:

I think there are lots of MCU defenders on the Internet. You can't even criticise FFH that it clearly isn't a over performance at all. Spider-Man 2 adjusted opening weekend will be much bigger than FFH. 

You can't criticise Spider-Man otherwise you will be labelled as anti-MCU. Is there a no fine line? 

People are celebrating like Spidey is doing wonders. Captain Marvel 6 days total with 3 weekdays was above 180m+. 

A lot of your posts are downplaying Spider-Man and then you complain that there are too many MCU defenders even though they are just disputing some weird claims you have made. What are you trying to achieve here?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I see it going 385-395, a jump par GoTG2. Which is lower than what I expected but still fine. Will do 450 or even 500 with 3rd film. 

Still think 400 is in play if WOM holds. But I do think there was a bit too much Spider-Man saturation over the last decade for it to truly do breakout numbers (it's a great Spider-Man movie but doesn't reinvent the wheel by any means); RDJ marketing might have inflated the original a bit too. It's a weird situation. 

Edited by Mekanos
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, GrandierHorror said:

😑😑😑Spidey used to earn over 800m when Asian markets have not expanded. 

All the 3 Spidey Tobey with inflation are above 1b.

The inflation and adjusted discussion has been done to death with Avatar vs Endgame so i don't care. Box office uses only one figures: raw USD. And by that, no Spider-Man movie ever crossed the 1B threeshold, until now.

Edited by nguyenkhoi282
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nothing average about what Toy Story, Aladdin, Spider-man and Cap Marv did DOM. Excellent performances. Not everything is Black Panther, Infinity War and Endgame.

Before Marvel took the reins, Amazing Spider-Man 2 did 203M DOM. This uptick in admissions is pretty awesome. But, no, reaching the heights of Raimi's Spider-man flicks isn't happening. That's a tough task. Spider-man and Spider-man 2 are two of the most attended comic book flicks of all-time DOM.

Aside from Captain Marvel, only Iron Man 3, Black Panther and the Avengers flicks - I'm including Civil War - have done 1B+ WW in the MCU. Definitely an accomplishment worth noting if Spidey gets there.

So... Solo flicks only include Iron Man, Cap Marv and Black Panther. It's special company. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

The same applies to Batman. Would be incredible if the next one can get to 300+ DOM. Gonna be ridiculously tough to ever repeat the admissions of Nolan's Dark Knight or Burton's Batman. Each just sold so many tickets not unlike Spider-man 1 and 2.

I think 300M is doable for Batman assuming it's really good. Audiences will be hungry for a genuine Batman solo, by the time it comes out it'll have been a decade since the last one.

• Like 1

I think majority here will recognize that the Raimi films at least DOM were bigger events than the Tom Holland Spidey films have been so far. 

That doesn't mean you have to disparage the performance of FFH especially when it's having a very healthy increase WW from Homecoming. Also important to note the Tom Holland Spidey films are the only ones that have increased from the previous DOM while before each of the previous Spidey films was lower DOM than the predecessor. 

• Like 1

Yeah, FFH is going to be less impressive BO than the Raimis. The Raimis did insanely well.    

Yeah, FFH will probably get less revenue than CM on a larger budget. CM did insanely well.   

Yeah, 1B club ain't what it used to be.      

It's still going to make the WW top 25, Sony WW #1, Sony DOM top 5 (maybe 3), and do something like 480M theatrical returns on a 160M prod budget, profiting hundreds of millions of dollar. There's not a lot of angles to poohpooh the performance 😛

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I see it going 385-395, a jump par GoTG2. Which is lower than what I expected but still fine. Will do 450 or even 500 with 3rd film. 

Hold onto optimism a little longer...we still got a long time to the Lion King...and a summer where Spidey is likely to run a long time as the only super in play (I've said it before, and I'll say it again - theaters like to hold a super...and unlike a hugely performing Disney super, theaters are probably getting to keep more of the gross from Sony, so you can bet they'll play it longer:)...

This is a long way of saying...don't rule out $400M that fast:)...

1 minute ago, Mekanos said:

I think 300M is doable for Batman assuming it's really good. Audiences will be hungry for a genuine Batman solo, by the time it comes out it'll have been a decade since the last one.

Yes. I do too. And, if it does does something like Homecoming's 333 DOM it will be celebrated here as it should be... Not easy to rebuild a brand. That's being lost on some here. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Yeah, FFH is going to be less impressive BO than the Raimis. The Raimis did insanely well.    

Yeah, FFH will probably get less revenue than CM on a larger budget. CM did insanely well.   

Yeah, 1B club ain't what it used to be.      

It's still going to make the WW top 25, Sony WW #1, Sony DOM top 5 (maybe 3), and do something like 480M theatrical returns on a 160M prod budget, profiting hundreds of millions of dollar. There's not a lot of angles to poohpooh the performance 😛

the office thank you GIF

Batman is in a better place currently than Spider-Man was post TASM 2. Though I think it might be a tougher sell to the GA for another reboot than it was for Homecoming since it had Iron Man and the MCU as a major hook. 

But yeah should do very well regardless.

• Like 1

Just now, Pure Spirit said:

What did I miss, did Spiderman flop?

Nothing really. Headed 180s 6-day. Great but not ballistic, some hoping good legs some hoping great legs, see when we see.