TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

marvel's becoming b grade. only 1h 59 minutes, looks cheap.  Gorr looks terrible. worst villain of the MCU. doctor strange similarly 2h, 5 min. MCU is in decline..

Edited by Halba
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Astonished 2
  • ...wtf 3
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

If gorr is a good villain I will be very surprised. in 2 hours of film it is not easy to develop 2 new important characters

Men in Black is under 100 minutes, sets up the world, the two main characters and a decent villain while telling a complete story. Doesn't seem that hard to me to do it with an extra 20 minutes. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

If gorr is a good villain I will be very surprised. in 2 hours of film it is not easy to develop 2 new important characters

I disagree. A good filmmaker only needs 1 or 2 scenes to make a new character instantly interesting. Look at the villain introduction scenes in The Dark Knight (Pencil scene) or Inglorious Basterds (Opening scene): After just 10 minutes, everyone in the audience was into these villains. You just need good writing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I disagree. A good filmmaker only needs 1 or 2 scenes to make a new character instantly interesting. Look at the villain introduction scenes in The Dark Knight (Pencil scene) or Inglorious Basterds (Opening scene): After just 10 minutes, everyone in the audience was into these villains. You just need good writing.

This is true but usually in The MCU we not have a great history of villain.

• Astonished 1

Just now, fabiopazzo2 said:

This is true but usually in The MCU we not have a great history of villain.

I agree but i just meant that a lower runtime shoudnt be an excuse for a weak villain. If Gorr falls flat, i predict it would be 100% on his writing and 0% on his screentime.

Btw, i have high hopes for Gorr because i really like Bale, so i do hope hes a great villain in this.

11 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Men in Black is under 100 minutes, sets up the world, the two main characters and a decent villain while telling a complete story. Doesn't seem that hard to me to do it with an extra 20 minutes. 

I have no problems with the duration of the film! I say that it is difficult to develop 2 new and important characters also knowing that the villains of the MCU are usually not very well done in Only 2h

Edited by fabiopazzo2

Oh FFS. Original Star Wars was 121 min, 2 hrs and 1 min. It gave cinema the largest number of iconic characters ever. Just because we are now trained to dread movies that are 2 hours or under, it doesn't mean they are bound to be bad or short on characterisation, etc. If the story doesn't require more than 2 hours by all means don't stretch it into King Kong 2005 or The Hobbit trilogy. We saw what happened when something that should have been a 2 hrs movie or less bloated up to 3 hours or even 3 films.

Best preview yet. Audience loves Thor, Bale, ham and GOTG and this has all four. I don't know why they were shy about spotlighting Bale and showing that GOTG are in the movie but this corrects it. Hammy Bale is gonna own this isn't he? 🍔

• Like 6

1 hour ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

I have no problems with the duration of the film! I say that it is difficult to develop 2 new and important characters also knowing that the villains of the MCU are usually not very well done in Only 2h

Well, that would usually be based on the SCREENWRITING or ACTING or DIRECTING, wouldn't it?  Because Marvel characters in the comics have immensely interesting things going on...and we know Kevin Feige is a master Producer!  

Ever seen a Charlie Chaplain short?  Complete humanity and empathy in 15 minutes.  Character foundation is at the heart of the origin of cinema, and you don't need two hours to do it.  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Apparently Feige has been reading this thread and give you an extended TV spot 

Saw this last night during the Stanley Cup Finals game in between periods. Yeah... I like it. Nice extended spot that ideally will be airing a lot between now and 7/8. I imagine there will be no more spots or potentially one more small one? I think they can just go this one and maybe a 30 second edit of this one until it's release. Hype. Is. Building.

• Like 1

Just listing another example but Raiders of the Lost Ark is “only” 115 minutes and not only manages to introduce numerous characters and sets but also manages to feel like a huge adventure.

Not everything has to be 2.5 hours lol

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Yeah the OG Star Wars is 2hrs long and spends a good chunk of the first half with C3PO and R2D2 wandering around lol. How did we get to the point where people think 2hrs is too short to develop a single villain? 

It's insecurity. People just think everything has to be BIG and EPIC to justify seeing a movie and think they are "getting their money's worth" and apparently being 2.5 hours+ is the only way to do it. I still remember there were people who were mad that Venom 2 was only 90 minutes. Venom 2. Bonkers!

2 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I agree but i just meant that a lower runtime shoudnt be an excuse for a weak villain. If Gorr falls flat, i predict it would be 100% on his writing and 0% on his screentime.

Btw, i have high hopes for Gorr because i really like Bale, so i do hope hes a great villain in this.

Tbh I know we were joking earlier about Gorr being Ronan 2.0 but that one line at the end of the recent spot had more personality than Ronan did in the entire movie. I think Gorr will be one of the MCU's best villains (but not better than Thanos).

• Like 1