TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

I had fun, there was nothing about it that screamed drastically worse or better than your standard Marvel film. It's a 'Marvel Lite' where a little less effort was put forth on all fronts. There's an airiness about it, edging closer to a Saturday morning cartoon.

It comes with the usual caveats of lacklustre production, CGI, score, sound mix, cinematography and action sequences (though those were some of the worst yet).

I thought it was consistently hilarious, some delightful gags. Waititi's comedy works for me and helps the film stand out amongst it's MCU brethren. Goats are GOAT. I didn't find any tonal issues like others. 

Bale seemed like he was having a hell of a time and his introduction was fantastic. One of the better MCU villains but would have liked more time with him.

Attempts at emotional heft are struck but that Marvel Lite thing, it just hasn't dedicated the proper time to garner anything more than a mild reaction. 

It's an irreverent Thor adventure with characters you like having fun interactions but with even 10 more minutes it could have been so much more.

Edited by FilmFincher
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FilmFincher said:

It comes with the usual caveats of lacklustre production, CGI, score, sound mix, cinematography and action sequences (though those were some of the worst yet).

Bale seemed like he was having a hell of a time and his introduction was fantastic. One of the better MCU villains but would have liked more time with him.

I critique the MCU films enough lately, too, but are people that accepting of true mediocrity lately?  I guess so.  I think the term "lackluster" isn't really deserved by much of the stuff they produce -- that's more Netflix's game, lately, I'd say (even though they also spend oodles and oodles of money just to gain subscribers).  Either way, yes, we should not accept this kind of mediocrity when they spend so much money...  

And *everyone* is saying that Bale should have more screen time -- so I'm sure there's some stuff on the cutting room floor -- what are Feige and Waititi thinking when actually scoring Bale for this production, then (likely) diminishing his role in editing??  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

I critique the MCU films enough lately, too, but are people that accepting of true mediocrity lately?  I guess so.  I think the term "lackluster" isn't really deserved by much of the stuff they produce -- that's more Netflix's game, lately, I'd say (even though they also spend oodles and oodles of money just to gain subscribers).  Either way, yes, we should not accept this kind of mediocrity when they spend so much money...  

And *everyone* is saying that Bale should have more screen time -- so I'm sure there's some stuff on the cutting room floor -- what are Feige and Waititi thinking when actually scoring Bale for this production, then (likely) diminishing his role in editing??  

I can only assume the other cuts were simply too chaotic to even show the public and that's why it had to be cut down.

Either that or the speculation that there weren't enough VFX resources to complete those scenes. 

6 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

It's already been reshot and edited. If it was good, it would have been out for awards season and the World Cup this fall

VA just tweeted he's heard nothing but great things about it, but I think Gregory Ellwood said it's just a more commercial film than an awards thing, probably in the vein of Eddie the Eagle or Fighting with my Family as opposed to King Richard. Also I don't think his schedule this year allows him to even campaign/promote the film for an award season. And lets be honest, the last thing he should be doing NOW is another awards season where the claws come out even more and EVERYONE becomes a villain lmao

Edited by Rebeccas

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Was Jojo Rabbit the thing that caused Film Twitter to turn against Waititi, or was it those paparazzi photos from last year, along with his performance in Free Guy?

Jojo definitely pissed off a certain segment of film twitter but that film is still beloved by a lot of people. All the comments I saw about the pap photos just expressed envy/admiration for all 3 lol and when it was rumored disney was mad, almost everyone defended him and said they should mind their own business. Turns out disney probably should've kept a better eye on him for more film-related reasons though. 

I think this is just his Last Night in Soho/Men moment when a clear and obvious drop in quality happens to a once beloved director. I mean film twitter was raging about Alex Garland this year re: Men so I do believe these trends are just related to creative slumps and will get over themselves once they make something beloved again. 

The fix it in post mentality seems to be growing at Marvel. Think this movie went even further due to the heavy improvisation. I do think a lot of these movies and shows coming up will take a similar route just because of the million parts that are going on in this universe at this point.

22 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Sometimes i think people keep expressing how much they dismiss popular things just to perform the "i'm an interesting person with higher taste than average people" skill. 

If you have been on top for a while, it';s natural people will root for you to fall down.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

If you have been on top for a while, it';s natural people will root for you to fall down.

I know, but i'm finding weird, i'm seeing so many hate tweets towards him these past days and the dude never did anything wrong, actually he seems like one of the sweetest guys on the spotlight these days.

Personally i found 2/3 of Thor very bad, but i really don't know why people have this need of destroy someone when they get tired and it's not cool anymore to like them.

It's normal and i usually don't care, but it's making me feel a bit bad because Taika is an indigenous brown guy that made it, he reached the top. And while he is too extra and even annoying sometimes, i think he's doing a wonderful job using his platform to change things, he's constantly making projects highlighting indigenous people and LGBTQIA+ people, i don't think the type of hate he's receiving on twitter now is fair at all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Macleod said:

I guess passable or average would be a better word. I agree that it hasn't sunk as low as the average Netflix flick which is probably more deserving of the word lackluster. Though I find something so uninspired about their coverage in action especially. Waititi's style works great for his smaller films and the comedy moments in this but anytime Thor tries to be a blockbuster it really falls flat. Though I will say Bale creeping in the shadows stood out as stronger than the rest of the film.

It's annoying because I do think people like Gunn and the Russo's show you can do this stuff up to a better standard under the Marvel machine. I think the acceptance of it comes from the fact Marvel usually nail telling a basic story, with likeable characters and some laughs along the way which is generally the more important thing. There's a lot films out there with fantastic production but can't achieve the basics of storytelling.

With Marvel the stamp of approval is generally a guaranteed good time but often not an exceptional one (though a few definitely stand out) because of the way they produce their films.

Honestly even just one more scene of Bale on his own would have been enough to give him some time to shine, especially to really flesh out his goal in the latter half of the movie. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

You never know how, why and when Film twitter will turn against a director.

Kong fans turned on Adam Wingard because he said that Godzilla was not serious while fighting Kong, he was toying with it..... They accused him of being biased.

Godzilla and Monsterverse fans in general turned on Adam Wingard because he said he didn't think much about the hollow earth energy except that it was a device to move plot forward..... They accused him for not caring about lore of Monsterverse. 

it's interesting that Taika said he doesn't like Director's Cut of films and has no intention for this, also directors need to be controlled sometimes.

so it's really the marvel's quality issue. they need to re-group and figure it out.

22 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Was Jojo Rabbit the thing that caused Film Twitter to turn against Waititi, or was it those paparazzi photos from last year, along with his performance in Free Guy?

Yeah it was the pap photos because I remember commenting on the sudden hate he began to receive once they leaked. The comments were especially vitriolic on some other sites that discussed the photos.

People don't realize how much of a self-tell it is about their own sad lives when they display so much rage and anguish over someone 'daring' to show off in such a harmless way. Envy truly is the most miserable of the sins.

Edited by Spidey Freak

6 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

I know, but i'm finding weird, i'm seeing so many hate tweets towards him these past days and the dude never did anything wrong, actually he seems like one of the sweetest guys on the spotlight these days.

Personally i found 2/3 of Thor very bad, but i really don't know why people have this need of destroy someone when they get tired and it's not cool anymore to like them.

It's normal and i usually don't care, but it's making me feel a bit bad because Taika is an indigenous brown guy that made it, he reached the top. And while he is too extra and even annoying sometimes, i think he's doing a wonderful job using his platform to change things, he's constantly making projects highlighting indigenous people and LGBTQIA+ people, i don't think the type of hate he's receiving on twitter now is fair at all.

I mean I know it's a much smaller niche audience thing, but you should see what film twitter was saying about Alex Garland lmao.  Like they were basically implying he was racist for the story decisions in Men, which okay sure is a bad movie, but it's not that serious idt. I think film twitter is just prone to overreaction, like it's not just that a director made a stinker movie, he has to be the WORST person ever as well. 

Thor is a much bigger movie so the reactions get amplified. Plus Taika is more of a celebrity director and more in the public eye from his other projects/acting/etc. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Yeah it was the pap photos because I remember commenting on the sudden hate he began to receive once they leaked. The comments were especially vitriolic on some other sites that discussed the photos.

People don't realize how much of a self-tell it is about their own sad lives when they display so much rage and anguish over someone 'daring' to show off in such a harmless way. Envy truly is the most miserable of the sins.

I used to read the Deuxmoi subreddit, someone was always ranting about Taika abandoning his New Zealander wife and kids to go party it up with starlets. Whatever, internet randoms don't know what happened in someone else's marriage and they split years ago, but that was part of the backlash.

I do think it's a bit...interesting that we live a time where people on Twitter constantly question age gaps of any sort, if movies should even have love scenes and overall "power dynamics", but attractive actor/directors making out with their cast members (on or offscreen) is totally fine, apparently. Would everyone who was all, "Chill out, they're adults!" about the Taika/Rita/Tessa pics have been as blasé about photos of James Gunn/Karen Gillan or Zendaya and Jon Watts getting similarly cosy? I'm going to say no.

The movie didn't turn out amazingly but at least they seem to have had a good time making it? Oh well...

3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Since when does Awards Season start in July?

The World Cup is in November - December this year because it's in Qatar. If Next Goal Wins was being released around Christmas, you could advertise it during the tournament. But that's not happening, it's pushed to

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl