Alli

The Last Duel - Ridley Scott, Matt Damon & Adam Driver | October 15, 2021

13 hours ago, infamous5445 said:

I get Scott's frustration but it's still funny to see him go off at everyone for the movie flopping

Don't blame him at all, when what constitutes "reviewers"/interviewers are dudes who say "this movie is more realistic than 'Kingdom of Heaven' or 'Robin Hood.'"  No nuance in film language when you're talking to a director with 40+ years experience!

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 3

Quite liked this, very well done. Ben Affleck is the best part of the movie. Also I don't know how anyone can complain about his or Matt Damon's accent with a straight face when the movie is set in France and everyone's speaking with British accents. "These French people don't sound BRITISH enough! FAAAKE!"

Edited by MOVIEGUY
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Quite liked this, very well done. Ben Affleck is the best part of the movie. Also I don't know how anyone can complain about his or Matt Damon's accent with a straight face when the movie is set in France and everyone's speaking with British accents. "These French people don't sound BRITISH enough! FAAAKE!"

Film twitter is just the worst whenever it comes to hair or accents in period pieces. 

"why didn't they get French actors or do French accents?" Could you imagine how cheesy and distracting that would've been?  There are some accents you just don't do.   Its like Ridley Scott said, "stfu, then you'll enjoy the movie"

Hes already said they're not doing French accents for Napoleon and thank god.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Film twitter is just the worst whenever it comes to hair or accents in period pieces. 

"why didn't they get French actors or do French accents?" Could you imagine how cheesy and distracting that would've been?  There are some accents you just don't do.   Its like Ridley Scott said, "stfu, then you'll enjoy the movie"

Hes already said they're not doing French accents for Napoleon and thank god.

People have this idea that Affleck and Damon seem too "modern" to be believable in a Medieval story, which I never like as a criticism because unless someone's had bad cosmetic work,  we're all descended from people who were alive back then. I love this Twitter account that enhances old photos, it shatters the notion that people looked fundamentally different than us in the past:

https://twitter.com/StuartHumphryes

The accent thing is a movie convention you get used to: "distant past = British accents". If they were going with French accurate to the time, very few people would even understand what was being said. If Last Duel had been in (modern) French with French actors, how many of the Film Twitter complainers would have even watched it?

Anyway, I think minds were made up about Damon and Affleck in this movie well before it was made, between skepticism about their handling of the subject matter and their suitability for the roles. And their hair...it may be accurate to the times but the stills showed them with laughable bleached goatees/mullets, while Adam Driver had great flowing locks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MOVIEGUY said:

His accent is shit Irish, which is why it's so dreadful. He cannot do any form of accent from the British Isles