Alli

The Last Duel - Ridley Scott, Matt Damon & Adam Driver | October 15, 2021

1 hour ago, el sid said:

Ran out of likes again but I think you're absolutely right with the streaming hit and first overlooked film gem.

I think historical epics that are done in a right way and just great films still have good chances, at least WW. Maybe Kingdom of Heaven had not the most attractive story (IMO it was ok but nothing that I have to watch several times). And the two other mentioned films were quite the opposite of "classic" medieval films. Robin Hood mixed several centuries and King Arthur was filmed very "modern" (the cuts etc.).
But I also think that the budgets shouldn't be too high (for sure under 200M, better 150M) to be on the safe side.

Also, Robin Hood grossed over 100 mil which, for the genre, is pretty good. 

4 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

No.

Yes.

A dreary, po-faced grubby charmless anti-fun Robin Hood claiming to be realistic with bad history and moronic plot contrivances.   Ohh look at the common man who can pretend to be a knight without training for it since childhood.   Oooh children fighting an army - not even teens but children.  Ooh look at all the evil people from France speaking French - when all the Royals and all the Norman nobles all spoke French because that's what they were - French.  

• Like 3

On 10/10/2021 at 2:37 PM, Valonqar said:

I think I said it in old pages but medieval genre hasn't been profitable for decades. King Arthur and Robin Hood were the latest bombs. It works when it's mixed with high fantasy (LOTR, GOT) but there's no audience for historical epics set in Middle Ages. Scott's own Kingdom of Heaven was a bomb. The last success was Braveheart in the 90s. 

Scott will be fine cause he has House of Gucci and there's actual interest in that one. The Last Duel trailer and spots barely had views while Gucci trailer got lots of views and great trending. 

That's why I've been saying Christopher Nolan needs to make a Medieval epic.  His own Troy, Gladiator, or Kingdom of Heaven. hope the genre is attractive to him.  He could definitely do some great things with IMAX on it. He's the one person who could make one of these a financial success again

• Like 1

nolan or ridley scott or whoever should do a hannibal barca movie. seems like the only person in hollywood who wants to make one is vin diesel and i don't want that! someone's gotta beat him to the punch. vin said he'd want to make it like 300. terrifying!

15 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

That's why I've been saying Christopher Nolan needs to make a Medieval epic.  His own Troy, Gladiator, or Kingdom of Heaven. hope the genre is attractive to him.  He could definitely do some great things with IMAX on it. He's the one person who could make one of these a financial success again

I believe Deni Villineuve is doing a Cleopatra movie next unless things have changed. 

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I wonder what the cinemascore will be? Do general audiences know this is actually about rape? The titular duel isn’t until 3rd act and first two are dialogue heavy and flashback driven. The 150 min runtime will also be hinderance 

Wow...Really? I didn't know this movie was that long. Damn...

Sir Ridley usually doesn't get bad CinemaScores. I only remember a movie where Brad Pitt got killed by a machine in the last 15 minutes. I swear that stuff could belong to a Saw movie. It was damn scary. 

3 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Wow...Really? I didn't know this movie was that long. Damn...

Sir Ridley usually doesn't get bad CinemaScores. I only remember a movie where Brad Pitt got killed by a machine in the last 15 minutes. I swear that stuff could belong to a Saw movie. It was damn scary. 

All the Money- B

Alien: Covenant- B

The Martian- A

Exodus- B-

The Counselor- D

Prometheus- B

Robin Hood- B-

Body of Lies- B-

American Gangster- B+

A Good Year- B+

Kingdom of Heaven- B-

Matchstick Men- B

Black Hawk Down- A-

Hannibal- C+

Gladiator- A

GI Jane- A-

White Squall- A-

So B or B- it is!

33 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

All the Money- B

Alien: Covenant- B

The Martian- A

Exodus- B-

The Counselor- D

Prometheus- B

Robin Hood- B-

Body of Lies- B-

American Gangster- B+

A Good Year- B+

Kingdom of Heaven- B-

Matchstick Men- B

Black Hawk Down- A-

Hannibal- C+

Gladiator- A

GI Jane- A-

White Squall- A-

So B or B- it is!

Whoa! I didn't know The Counselor got a D. 

I'm also surprised to see Hannibal getting a C+...I remember when I got to the Ray Liotta "eating his own brain" scene and half of the audience leaving the theater, lol.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pinacolada said:

The Counselor is rad (at least the 2nd half is). Deserves a second look. And yes, that Brad Pitt death scene is bonkers

One of the most underrated movies ever made. Ridley's best film since American Gangster for me.

Edited by Firepower