Alli

The Last Duel - Ridley Scott, Matt Damon & Adam Driver | October 15, 2021

My friend watched it in Venice. He said  this is easily the Ridley Scott movie the general audience will love more since The Martian and a lot even since The Gladiator. Don't watch what critics are saying (I mean The gladiator has a 67 on metacritic). 

It's a totally absorbing historical thriller. Some dialogues and plot points are a little bit too semplicistic but still in a way the generale audience will like. He's sure it's gonna get a lot of Oscar noms.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

Even Exodus?

Yes, it's not perfect, but it has its merits. But I must say I didn't love The Martian like most people, I liked it, but I thought it was maybe too safe and generic for my taste, still very well made/acted film.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, vale900 said:

My friend watched it in Venice. He said  this is easily the Ridley Scott movie the general audience will love more since The Martian and a lot even since The Gladiator. Don't watch what critics are saying (I mean The gladiator has a 67 on metacritic). 

It's a totally absorbing historical thriller. Some dialogues and plot points are a little bit too semplicistic but still in a way the generale audience will like. He's sure it's gonna get a lot of Oscar noms.

Interesting.  The studio must know/think this, too -- the way they are using "Ridley Scott's Definitive Epic" as a tagline in that most recent 30-second spot.  

32 minutes ago, Nikostar said:

It’s a Ridley Scott film so most likely it’s going to be a campy mess. He will have two misfires this year.

Anyone else feel free to chime in, but I don't know if I'd ever really classify ANYTHING Scott has done as "CAMP," consciously or otherwise...  (OK, perhaps parts of THE COUNSELOR lean into it...)  😂

I think it's more that most people still don't really know how to apply the term "Camp." 

(But that's OK, it's creators and critics since have often disagreed about its application, too...)

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

Thats a really good spot.

I hope this is good because I'm not feelin House of Gucci.  That movie is giving heavy American Hustle vibes in that the only real reason for its existence is for a bunch of A-listers to play dress-up and overact for awards season only for everyone to forget about it immediately after.

Reading the reviews for The Last Duel, I'm assuming its gonna end up somewhere in the 70s on RT.  The only really negative one I see on there right now is by someone so hung up on the sociopolitical aspect of the film that she didn't bother talking about anything else.  It would be unfortunate if a bunch of critics went that route like what happened to Joker.

Also Wolski(Dark City, Prometheus, Martian) said this is his best work to date.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

A number of non-reporters who saw it at Venice say the audience was really into it and they loved it too. Praised action a lot. Said that's what Ridley Scott movies are for.

I've heard one or two things like that, so maybe this'll be one of those films where critics are so-so to it and the audience loves it?